Best Cover Version?

Snoop Dogg doing the Doors’ “Riders on the Storm”.

Ween covering Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice”.

Jane’s Addiction’s cover of the Dead’s “Ripple”.

[quote=“urodacus”]

primus version of FunkyTown. (lipsInc original??)[/quote]

this i have to dl, and johnny cash

Jane’s Addiction’s cover of the Dead’s “Ripple”.

Love that one.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“urodacus”]

primus version of FunkyTown. (lipsInc original??)[/quote]

this i have to dl, [/quote]

oops, my bad. i can’t find the primus version of it anywhere. i am sure i saw them do it about 1992 or so, but i may be wrong… those days are a wee bit hazy. i also may have been confusing it with pseudo echo (washes mouth out), whose cover hit #1 in 1987 for longer than the LippsINc version managed. hopefully i did not confuse those two…

there is another funny cover around by SoulWax from belgium.

Nigh on four years of thread and not one mention of www.coverville.com ? For shame!

I just heard Johnny Cash sing ‘Personal Jesus’. No words. Just too cool.

Definitely too cool.
The Lepps covering Sweet’s “Action”.

Definitely too cool.
The Lepps covering Sweet’s “Action”.[/quote]

Mr the chief, it was your musical group’s performance that got me to look up some Johnny Cash songs again.

Santana’s cover of Peter Green’s Black Magic Woman. :bravo:

Oooooooohh!! Buttercup, you have hours of good Johnny listening ahead. In his last years Cash did some of the best covers ever. Try his version of the Nine Inch Nails, Hurt, for example.

youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Been listening to a Nouvelle Vague, a strange little French outfit and their eighties covers. Thus far Too drunk to fuck trumps.

HG

Anyone heard the Patti Smith covers album, ‘Twelve’?

Some great stuff. She does best at the rock boys’ stuff because she has that kind of dirty, rough boy voice: ‘Are you experienced? IIIII am…’ sounds great, coming from thee coolest woman in rock. A workmalike ‘Gimme Shelter’. I never got that song, but it sounds cool from Patti.

Some not unexpected Bob, with ‘Changing of the Guard’ and Jim, with a slightly limp ‘Soul Kitchen’.

Weird ‘Within you and without you’ which is one of my favourite Beatles’ moments. I didn’t expect to, but I loved the country-ish ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’. It doesn’t have the Krazy Kurt feel to it, but still fab; one of the best songs.

Some dodgy bits: ‘Everybody Wants To Rule The World’. Not sure why THAT was necessary. ‘White Rabbit’, zzz.

And I was also surprised to hear Lenny Kaye was even on this. Sounds like it could have been anyone; not his usual styles.

smell the glove already mentioned one of my two favorite Byrds’ covers, Husker Du does “Eight Miles High,” so I’ll just add the other: Dinosaur Junior’s cover of the Byrds’ “Feel a Whole Lot Better,” which inverts the structure and feeling of the song. It’s damn hard to find this version, though.

some others:
Yo La Tengo: “You Can Have It All” (I’ve never heard the original. I especially love how the drums are freed from service as a metronome.)
Bob Dylan: Woody Guthrie’s “Pretty Boy Floyd”
Rick Nelson: “Dream Lover” (smooth pop from one of its masters)
Jerry Butler: “Moon River” (ditto)
Beatles: “Leave My Kitten Alone”
Wilson Pickett: “Hey Jude” and “Sugar Sugar”
Bryan Ferry: “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes”
The Band: “Long Black Veil” and “Don’t Do It”
Shonen Knife: “Top of the World”
Brian Eno: “You Don’t Miss Your Water”

and some doo-wop
Persuasions: “Papa Oom Mow Mow”
Dion does Bruce Springsteen’s “If I Should Fall Behind”
Belmonts: “Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)”

And nobody has mentioned Patti Smith and “Gloria”?

So, is that “stuck in the sixties/seventies” enough? :smiley:

Pete Yorn did a great cover of Springsteen’s Dancing in the Dark

‘Kicking Against the Pricks’! Fabulous.

My old version on vinyl didn’t have ‘Black Betty’ on it. Did I have a duff version or was it ‘remastered’?

Leadbelly… I miss the crackly tapes of my ex boyfriend’s uncle’s 78s.

Just pissing about on youtube and I came across this gem I’ve not heard for years. I got my copy of this album in a charity shop for about 50p some years ago and knew it to be worth crazy money.

Anyway for your listening pleasure

Ananda Shankar’s take on Jumping Jack Flash

youtube.com/watch?v=wzyTj2MZ7k8

Can anybody else out there find any awesome cover versions?

Celine Dion doing AC/DC’s You Shook Me All Night Long

youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0 … re=related

Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this thread was called “Awful cover versions!”. My bad. :smiley:

Quite frankly, that Celine video is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen/heard. Ever.
Ever.

Ever.

george benson - white rabbit

i thought the “australian doors band” cover of stairway to heaven from (found from a zep thread a while back" was something

Hey, we had a 10 page discussion on covers songs already over here.
Merge?

blood sweat and tears–symphony for the devil
type o negative–black sabbath

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]blood sweat and tears–symphony for the devil
type o negative–black sabbath[/quote]
blood sweat and tears–Fire & Rain

I like that whole album. Lucrecia McEvil!