Best English sites for finding non-teaching Jobs?

Hi,
I have a master’s degree in Journalism and am looking for a writing/editing/proofreading/marketing/advertising job in Taipei. I worked in this field in Taiwan before and had no problems with work visas. Just been working as a teacher for 3 years and not really interested in that kind of work right now.
Unfortunately I can’t read Mandarin that well.
Can someone recommend some English job-search sites other than, of course, this one?
Thanks! :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

[quote=“Milo”]Hi,
I have a master’s degree in Journalism and am looking for a writing/editing/proofreading/marketing/advertising job in Taipei. I worked in this field in Taiwan before and had no problems with work visas. Just been working as a teacher for 3 years and not really interested in that kind of work right now.
Unfortunately I can’t read Mandarin that well.
Can someone recommend some English job-search sites other than, of course, this one?
Thanks! :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:[/quote]

Haven’t tried it myself, but periodically ICRT will advertise for hirecruit.
hirecruit.nat.gov.tw/GuestIndex.do?lang=eng

No such thing exists, OP. There are so few foreigners looking for jobs in Taiwan that there just isn’t a market for it.

Find any English-language media organization in Taiwan and send your resume over, then hope for the best. Off the top of my head: Want China Times, RTI, CNA / Focus Taiwan, Taipei Times, China Post, Taiwan News, FTV’s English program, ICRT, Taiwan Today, Thiking Taiwan, Next Animation / TOMO News. Many of these have been downsizing lately, I hear. :-s

SOME foreign institutions maintain bureaus in Taiwan, though the number is constantly declining. WSJ just withdrew. AP and AFP still have posts there, as far as I know, but they only have a handful of staff, most of whom are locals, so they aren’t going anywhere probably. Also try Forbes.

It’s not a good time for media. I left Taiwan last February after 7 years there and 4 years working in news, partially for personal reasons but also partially because I saw there was no future for English-language media. It would be much, much harder to find a gig without speaking Chinese. I don’t want to discourage you, but that’s the truth as I see it.

If you’re open to Hong Kong, SCMP is not terrible. In China, if you don’t mind selling your soul a little bit, I know state-run newspapers and TV stations like CCTV hire foreign editors for their English stuff. But in Taiwan – not much. The world doesn’t really care about what happens here.

hirecruit.nat.gov.tw/GuestIndex.do?lang=eng

Overall situation looks grime. Journalism is worse than most, in every aspect, but if you are willing to try, then follow Honkwongwei’s pointers. Do keep in mind that due to cuts and downsizing, quality of the articles and work environments have really deteriorated.

Other fields are just as bad for foreigners. Got a fellow classmate who is in the financial field. He says that out of 12 resumes he sends -more or less- he might get one or two interviews… in two weeks. Back in the day, I used to get one for every one I sent. sigh

20,871 job seekers in Taiwan vs. 409 job openings in Taiwan…

Also I signed up there maybe 4 or 5 years ago and never had anyone contact me.

20,871 job seekers in Taiwan vs. 409 job openings in Taiwan…

Also I signed up there maybe 4 or 5 years ago and never had anyone contact me.[/quote]

I stand corrected. Thanks for the first-hand experience input. I was curious if anybody had tested it. As mentioned, I had not actually tried it. Just figured it fit the criteria of “some English job-search sites” per the OP.

Heh, it’s very possible that my 條件就那麼差 and nobody considered me employable!

hirecruit.nat.gov.tw/GuestIndex.do?lang=eng[/quote]

Bump! There are opportunities as per above. Well done Taiwan government.

For journalism don’t come to Taiwan. The standard is very low. For our Asia/Pacific Bureau in Taipei we always have to bring people in. For us at the moment the only reason for being in Taiwan is that China does not allow us to open a production office in Beijing or Shanghai.

hirecruit.nat.gov.tw/GuestIndex.do?lang=eng[/quote]

Bump! There are opportunities as per above. Well done Taiwan government.[/quote]

They are preparing a matching event next Tuesday, Oct 20th, in the TICC (Taipei). It’s called “One-on-One Employment Meetings 2015”
I’m not sure if you can still register for the event in the website (I guess today is the last day), but you can always just show up with a bunch of CV in hand, and use the window time of the companies for a short interview. There is even a list of the participating companies and their available positions on HiRecruit website.