Best Pizza in Taipei

daltongang wrote:

“Maybe it’s the new yorker in me but when I think “pizza” I don’t think “atmosphere” or “service.” just make it good.”

Funny but as a New Yorker I can’t understand how thin crust pizza became “New York style” as advertised everywhere here. Go into most any pizza parlor in New York and order a slice and you get a nice, medium size crust with about a half inch or more on the outer ring that is a bit thicker and chewier. That is New York pizza to me (not to be confused with Chicago deep-dish style). Thin crusts are popular in New York but not the norm and are generally ordered specifically as such.

Still have yet to find any pizzas in Taiwan very memorable. To date I think the best one I have had was at Bellini’s on Fushing (the only Bellini’s with a stone oven) but that was a year ago and not sure their quality is still the same.

[quote=“Interlocutor”]daltongang wrote:

[quote=“Interlocutor”]daltongang wrote:

[quote]daltongang wrote:

“i lived for too many years here without anything like what we have now!”[/quote]

Amen to that brother. I remember when I first came here a few years ago, outside of Pizza Hut or Dominos, “pizza” ordered in a restaurant or bar usually consisted of a hamburger bun with ketchup and processed cheese on it popped into a toaster oven or microwave for a minute or two.

yup went to alleycat’s yesterday.

met the owner. Nice fella. good place, good pizza =)

When posting here on pizza a few weeks ago I forgot to mention one place that has some of (IMHO) the most reliable and good pizza in Taipei. Amaroni’s Little Italy on Chang Chun Rd. Their pizzas run closer to the New York style that I am used to and have consistently been good quality and good value. Their pizzas are huge though so you need a couple of people to finish one or get the rest to go as I do when I stop in alone. They also do take-out for whole pizzas and you can call ahead (most of the staff speak English). They also have good Italian-style bread with olive oil as a free appetizer. Their house red is quite drinkable too. The waitstaff is really warm and welcoming and always remember me even when it is months between my visits. The rest of the menu is up for discussion but I have had some good things there in the past but mostly stick to their pizza now. So for pizza I would recommend this place.

thanks, i always liked the food when i went there, haven’t been back for a while though, have to try the pizza next time.

I like Mr. Paco’s okay. Citizen Cain’s pizzas are fine. But Alleycat’s pizzas and mouthwatering toppings win my heart hands down. Offering an amazing shepherd’s pie doesn’t hurt either.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I like Mr. Paco’s okay. Citizen Cain’s pizzas are fine. But Alleycat’s pizzas and mouthwatering toppings win my heart hands down. Offering an amazing shepherd’s pie doesn’t hurt either.

[/quote]

imaniou don’t tell me you knew what a shepherd’s pie was before you went there :slight_smile: i’m still in the dark and afraid i always will be… hmmm should i have a pizza or a shepherd’s pie :slight_smile:

Just another endorsement for Amaroni’s Pizza. Went there again last night, not actually by design but after getting shut out by an early closing of another restaurant we had planned to go to (they serve dinner until midnight).

Amaroni’s pizzas are, for my money, the best in town. Very New York style and huge on top of it. Always wind up bringing home some to heat up the next day. That and their complimentary fresh Italian bread with oil and vinegar appetizers make them a great value.

Their staff is really friendly too (ask for Jackie or Leo). On top of that their house red is really good too. And I can never get enough of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin rat pack music anyway. Had a really good pizza fix there again last night.

[quote=“Interlocutor”]Just another endorsement for Amaroni’s Pizza. Went there again last night, not actually by design but after getting shut out by an early closing of another restaurant we had planned to go to (they serve dinner until midnight).

Amaroni’s pizzas are, for my money, the best in town. Very New York style and huge on top of it. Always wind up bringing home some to heat up the next day. That and their complimentary fresh Italian bread with oil and vinegar appetizers make them a great value.

Their staff is really friendly too (ask for Jackie or Leo). On top of that their house red is really good too. And I can never get enough of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin rat pack music anyway. Had a really good pizza fix there again last night.[/quote]

Where is Amaroni’s Pizza? Is it that same Amaroni’s next to the colon cleansing center?

Good pizza is also available at Scoozi, a very new restaurant in Tienmu, just south of the American school. Reasonable prices too.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just tried Amaroni’s for the first time tonight, and here’s another vote for their pizza. It’s the closest I’ve had to a true New York style Pizza in Taiwan! :smiley:

So where is it?
Amaroni’s, not the colon cleaners.

[quote=“Richardm”]So where is it?
Amaroni’s, not the colon cleaners.[/quote]

on changchun, south side, just east of chienkuo, wait or is that hsinsheng n rd? i haven’t gone for years, have to go back. may try the place in tienmu tomorrow.

I always had a problem leaving NYC and getting pizza. There’s the problem of measure words for starters. 1 pizza refers to a slice not a pie.

Can one get a slice of Shepherds pie at AC?

I never understood corn and lobster on a pizza in Taiwan.
Some places in Taiwan actually serve Neopolitan Pizza (endless frustrations). There should have signs outside for pizza afficando. Like NYC style, chicago style, European style, and Taiwan corn and lobster style.

In the USA Chinese food places are more than happy to say Szechuan, Taiwan, Cantonese, etc style.

Should not pizza be held to the same standard. Yes I have gone sometimes with Poor Man’s pizza at home instead of venturing out and paying for disappointment.

Not to mention the lack of appropriate condiments at these overseas establishment. Red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, grated parmesan cheese, and Oregano should be readily available in cheap oily plastic dispensers at the table.

So it is the same old Amaroni’s, but they also serve pizza now?

Hello? They’ve always had pizza there.
Not the best pizza. Little bland for my taste.

I like their rosemary roast chicken. Damn!

[quote=“daltongang”][quote=“Richardm”]So where is it?
Amaroni’s, not the colon cleaners.[/quote]

on changchun, south side, just east of Jianguo, wait or is that Xinsheng n Rd? I haven’t gone for years, have to go back. may try the place in Tianmu tomorrow.[/quote]
It’s Jianguo.

Flicka wrote:

Sorry, my thumb weighed a bit long on the shift key, I should have typed “Amaroni’s pizza”.

Amaroni’s Little Italy. No. 218-220 Chang Chun Rd., (02) 2507-6967. They do take-out too.

www.amaronis.com

Alien wrote:

I don’t understand your point. I was just updating. I had not been there since Chinese New Year and was happy to see it was as good as ever. Things change quickly on the restaurant scene here, such as the post in the chicken wings thread. I used to like Dan Ryan’s wings but agree with the poster there that they are now not as good. Something changed.

I also appreciate Amaroni’s service. This was the first time I asked for something a little special. We could not decide which pizza we wanted and so asked if they would do half and half. The waiter went off to the kitchen to ask and I half expected the usual Taiwanese restaurant answer of “We don’t do that”, but he came back and cheerfully said “sure”. They even charged us the price for the cheaper pizza.

Alien wrote:

You obviously haven’t tried the Chili Chicken pizza, which had me wildly gesticulating to Leo for a (yet another) large beer. First time pizza has tasted that spicy to me.

Ben wrote:

Me too Ben. I am from the NYC area and for me, Amaroni’s is the closest. Still a trifle thin for me but they sure make up for it in volume. The atmosphere really does feel like Little Italy in NYC also so that could add to my liking for it. The renowned Fred Smith wrote a scathing review of this place a few months ago for lunch but I had a good dinner there in January, not with pizza but other selections (I like the combo platter). I think Fred had slow service there at lunch and complained about the portions being reduced from when they opened. I have never had a service problem there for dinner though, and as I mentioned the waiters I know there are quite friendly and attentive. One of the only places I know where they frequently refill your water glass without being asked. And I certainly couldn’t complain about the portions for the pizzas; they are huge.

ac_dropout wrote:

You’re from NYC? A pizza is a pie to me. A slice is a slice.