Best place to buy a new mattress?

My husband and I are looking for a new queen size mattress for a good price. Looking to go shopping on Sunday.

I bought mine from IKEA a few years ago and have been really happy with it.

1 Like

You can buy local, but you may not be used to the mattresses that locals sleep on, which are usually rocks.

Ikea or Nitori aren’t bad choices to start. Costco might have some in stock every once in awhile if you want something a bit nicer.

1 Like

The whole reason I invested in my own from IKEA. The apartments I lived/live in are furnished, but I figured we spend roughly 1/3 of our lives in bed, might as well spend the money and get one that is comfortable!

1 Like

I think IKEA will be where we go. The prices look pretty great! Plus, I just love IKEA.

I have just been to IKEA buying a bunch of stuff and from what I hear, the one in Xinchuang has better prices on SALE items.

Grew up sleeping on a rock solid mattress. Apparently good for your back, but i’m the only one that can withstand it for more than one night.

I bought the hovag http://www.ikea.com/tw/zh/catalog/products/80244508/#/30244394 and I could choose soft or firm. It has actually lasted really well. It is funny how they pack them up. They’re wound tightly in a roll and sealed with heavy duty plastic, and when you remove the plastic, it’s like a weapon. No way in hell it will go back in the plastic wrap. I used to put all ikea stuff together, but figured out their assembly service is worth every penny.

There are some sleeping/mattress specialty stores around that sell some great international brand mattresses, and beds. Brands like Simmons.

Hmm… You didn’t provide a lot of info… Like, how much are you willing to pay for a mattress, and which city are you gonna be looking for a mattress in?

There are also places that sell brand-name mattresses, such as Simmons, Sealy and Serta. Costco has Sealy mattresses I think, although they only have one size, and don’t have pocketed coils.

There are also popular local brands, such as 老K (kingbed), 德泰 (MySide), and 悅夢 (dreambed). If you stayed at a fancy hotel here in Taiwan, chances are you’ve slept on one of their mattresses.

Recently there’s also Power Sleep, which supposedly is invented by someone at the Chang-gung medical center. They have a machine that measures your weight distribution and that number determines what foam they would place at various spots in your mattress.

In the end, it’s more about how much are you willing to pay… If you do buy from IKEA, their bed is European sized, and you won’t find bedding or bed frame of that size in Taiwan other than at IKEA. Nitori and Muji seem to have their own sizes as well.

If cheap is your primary concern, then it would greatly depend on where you live.

Exactly! What if the OP’s mattress is for exercising Genuine Virgin Internal Qi, a proper bedrock, such as one made of jade, is highly recommended—a marble boulder from Hualien might work but not as comfortable.

Protrend Furniture Warehouse in Neihu. Great selection of different furniture and home goods at very fair prices!

You can even buy a fengshui mattress,

fengshui "As such it is vital to choose a Feng Shui mattress that will provide the best night’s sleep.

One of the first things to consider when picking a Feng Shui mattress is the size. A single person, who is planning to stay that way, can choose whatever size they like from a twin to a king sized mattress. However those who are in a relationship or looking for one may want to be more specific. The idea is to promote a feeling and energies that support having a partner. Feng Shui practice is specific about choosing a mattress that doesn’t have two box springs. This is thought to disrupt the positive energy flow and cause damage to your relationship. Another thing to avoid when choosing the mattress is to not make it too large. A large mattress, such as a king, limits intimacy and can put a strain on your relationship. In the Feng Shui practice, nothing larger than a queen mattress should be used."

Actually, this is the exact one I chose as well. Went with the “firm” and I love it! Matched it with one of their Malm bed frames.

It’s basically 200 x 150 cm. Doesn’t seem too hard to find bedding for it here. Pretty sure I’ve gotten sets at Carrefour and Costco.

i got the king size firm, and the malm bed. They have mattress pads there too. the weird part is that the comforters sold in ikea are way too small for king. to keep the hubby and I from fighting over the comforter all night we wound up with two comforters for awhile. Now I bring king size sheets and comforters from the US. Another must have for me is the dust mite covers. Ungodly expensive at sogo, but after seeing the dust from one of the beds in a house I was renting, it became necessary. you can probably order these somewhere here but there are different grades. Some are nice and others are like rubber sheets.

hansioux…wrong?

I’m sorry Mr. Yang, but I’m going to need to see some sources.

Is that a sneaky way to invite yourself into my bedroom? Not sure your wife (nor my gf) would be too keen on that. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the link above, the Hovag comes in several sizes:

120 x 200
150 x 190
150 x 200
180 x 200
90 x 200

Taiwan size is 190x150cm or 190x200cm, short people!

I only try to get things right because I’ve humiliatingly gotten so many things wrong in the past…

I just moved this summer, that’s when I gathered most of the info that I shared. I was considering getting a mattress at IKEA, but I also wanted a solid bed frame. As far as I know, IKEA only has frames with a rib like support, Luröy, I think they are called… When I tried to find a frame that would fit an IKEA mattress, that’s when I realized there’s a slight size difference.

The queen and king size are slightly longer than Taiwan’s standard sizes. It’s good for people that are over 180 cm tall. However, it was slightly difficult to find a frame with a snug fit outside of IKEA.

A few cm difference might not matter that much when it comes to bedding though. Of course if the bedding is really snug and you wash it for a few times then you might have a problem on your hands.

1 Like