Betel nut uses

Masters.

1 Like

Like adderall for five minutes and then you just feel a bit nauseous. It amazes me that in 2017 betelnut use is still so prevalent here. Its no wonder those guys have to import their bridesā€¦who would want to sleep next to a red-toothed monster?

I feel nothing from it. Is there like a wrong way to chew it?

Betel nut, more accurately areca nut, and betel leaf used to wrap it with, have cultural significance in most non-polynesian Austronesian societies. Specifically, the areca nut often symbolizes love. It is an integral part of courtship and marriage rituals for most and important to religious rituals to the rest.

Of course, most sinified Pingpu aboriginals are no longer aware of the connection between areca nut usage and their cultural heritage. Perhaps the way forward is to find a healthy way of using areca nut, instead of looking down on areca nut users, which is just a mirror reflection of the Han oppression of indigenous cultures.

Some people may be looking down on people, but there are other factors at play. Itā€™s a lot like cigarette smoking. Looking around a bit, I see that compounds in the nut itself are harmful to health. Also, its usage is objectively unpleasant in a number of ways. I think itā€™s worth campaigning against, certainly if tobacco usage is. Weā€™re not talking about a cultural ceremony, but a widespread, commercially-driven habit.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, the reddish color comes from the mixture of betel leaf or flower and lime stone power. Chewing areca nut alone doesnā€™t produce that dark red color. If itā€™s simply the color thatā€™s an issue, then the fix would be to find a replacement for lime stone powder or betel plant. Although, perhaps itā€™s the habit of spitting on the floor thatā€™s the real problem.

Chewing tobacco also has many similar undesirable side-effects as well. As far as Iā€™m aware of, thereā€™s not as much of a stigma attached to chewing tobacco in the States compared to how people here look down on areca nut users.

Now it symbolizes style and sophistication.

1 Like

They used to chew tobacco in my home country when I was young, now itā€™s rare youā€™ll find anyone chewing it.

Prehistoric Aboriginal cultures used to prefer blackened teeth, as did Japanese prior to the Heian period, and many South East Asian cultures, so chewing actually improved the aesthetics for them.

In the US, a significant amount of people still chews tobaccoā€¦ especially those who play baseball.

Fashion always has had victims. Probably not the smartest ones, but many nevertheless.

We arenā€™t talking about its use in ritual practices or its cultural status within non-Han societies. Weā€™re talking about its use among blue collar Taiwanese and the fact that the harmful effects of the preparation far outweigh the benefits.

Iā€™ll willingly chew some nut for a laugh if offered it at a wedding and Iā€™m not looking down on anyone for using it. But come on, why would you regularly chew something that stains your teeth red, gives you terrible breath and causes oral cancer? Iā€™ve only ever met one foreigner in 25 years here who chewed it regularly and he was a nut job.

If you can promote its use with none of the nasty additives, then do so.

1 Like

I think betel nut use amongst blue collar workers in part of the culture. The only reason I chew tobacco playing baseball is because I watched guys before me do it so we all just did it to be part of it. I never do it outside of playing. Some people just enjoy it. And people in the south in the us do it, itā€™s like part of the southern boys culture. They like pick up trucks and a can of dip while they drive.

And Iā€™m guessing oral fixation is part of it. People like chewing on things and having stuff in their mouths. A lot of cigarette smokers have a hard time quitting and want to chew on stuff when they quit. And Iā€™m guessing their peers also do it so it like just what they do.

People used to sniff tobacco too.

They still do I believe in parts of Europe.

Betel nut is a good excuse to pull the car over to practice talking in Chinese, Taiwanese, maybe even some Hakka with anyone from a young girl in lingerie to an old man in a tank top singlet.

I see what you did there. Good one.

Medieval cultures in England also thought body odor was alluring like some fine cologne or perfume. The stronger your scent the sexier you were. My point is norms change. I donā€™t think itā€™s imperialist or classist to call out betel-nut chewing for being a gross and harmful habit in 2017.

Maybe they had nicer smelling strains of Staphylococcus hominis back then. :ponder:

thā€™ bear abides :sunglasses: