Betel nut uses

Spoken like a true crack dealer!

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Would discobot like a betelnut?

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: As I see it, yes

3 Likes

Looks like discobot is slowly emerging from the uncanny valley!

1 Like

That guy with the facial tattoo should totes start chewing the nut. Heā€™d look much more authentic if he did.

2 Likes

Yeah, nothing says ā€œTaiwan independenceā€ like a reeking red-stained mouth with a few missing teeth.

Personally I think he should just get a giant betelnut splatter tattooed on his forehead. Cut out the middleman. Takes too long to get those teeth stained.

1 Like

Good from farā€¦but far from good.

Or maybe, butter face?

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you said it, so I didnā€™t have to. :wink:

But Iā€™ll let you explain it, because I donā€™t know what it means. I just heard it somewhere. :innocent:

I just wanna mention first that unlike many adventurous forumosans, I have never had a betel nut, so I actually have no frigging clue what it tastes like.

Now thatā€™s out of the way, from what I gathered, the red juice comes from the mixture of lime stone powder and betel leaf or betel flower. Lime stone powder is added to balance the flavor with its strong alkalinity. So if we are looking for a replacement, we can look for something else thatā€™s also alkaline.

Lime stone powder, a.k.a. calcium hydroxide, has a pH of about 12. Itā€™s actually pretty easy to find an edible replacement, less grinding on the teeth. Konjac powder has an alkalinity of 56.2. Shitake mashroom is about 17.5. Some seaweeds can top the chart at 200. I wonder if they can be a healthier replacement without impacting the taste.

Yes, I know areca fruit itself can cause cancer. So can tobacco, alcohol, charred meat, sugar and more. Itā€™s all about moderation. Without the red juice and lime stone powder, it also wouldnā€™t do so much damage to the teeth and have that big of a aesthetics impact.

:flushed:
Oh, would you look at the time! I gotta run! But Iā€™ll conveniently leave this random link behind as I do so. :smiling_imp:

Mods!?!?! Someone is sullying our squeaky-clean thread with vile PUA references!

FIFY

Dude, youā€™re crimping my ironyā€¦

Didnā€™t mean to curl your udders.

1 Like

You mean ā€œput my udders in a twist.ā€

Was just trying to play along your theme of crimping and ironing, so I added a curlerā€¦

I got nothing and just realized I utterly got it wrong.
I guess Iā€™ll just get back to work.

Count me skeptical :sunny:

Thereā€™s already the ones with the leaf (and no red juice), but they are really astringent and donā€™t have the lovely flavor of the red-juice ones.