Better options than the iPhone?

Yeah, I should’ve just stayed with the 10. However, the 10 was actually more expensive and didn’t have a promotion. I figured…big screen, processor wasn’t too far off from the 10, but cheaper than the smaller screen. OK.

Contract ended and the M8 was still ok, but getting a bit on the slow side. My M8 lasted me the full 30 months that my contract was signed for. Best phone I’ve owned so far. I miss it.

I do love Engadget hands on and in depth reviews. I always used to research tech gadgets with Engadget, but my 10 EVO was an impulse buy/decision, so I didn’t have too much time to research. I actually went into CHT with my mind set on the Samsung flagship or the HTC 10 since I had done my research on them.

What do you think of the Google Pixel 2? I was contemplating the first one, and awaiting a Taiwan release date, but of course, it never hit the market here in Taiwan. I foresee the same for the 2.

The Pixel 2 is going to be a great phone. Very similar to the U11, even has the HTC squeeze sides. A bit if a gimmick though. The camera is supposed to be in the running for best camera. If they keep the same build design with half glass and half metal rear, it will be butt ugly. That is the only reason I wouldn’t get it. Rather wait for u12

1 Like

My problem with the original Pixel was how controlling Google was being with it and all the AI. The Pixel 2 may be less controlling, and I may be getting used to AI, but I’d still like the option to turn it off. I’d stay away from the Pixel 2 XL, though. It’s made by LG, and it seems to be having problems.

I like the squeeze feature on my wife’s U11. She uses it for launching the camera, taking pictures, and switching between front & back cameras. HTC is also opening it up so you can map anything to it. On larger phones like that, it could potentially be a handy feature to do more things one-handed.

Here’s another little feature of the U11. It has 4 microphones for recording the audio in videos. If you’re shooting video on a busy street and want to focus in on one thing, you just zoom the camera in on it. The phone will de-emphasize the audio coming from the 3 other directions/microphones and focus the audio on the direction you’ve zoomed in on. Again, my wife doesn’t use the video camera, but it’s a nice feature to have for holidays or parties.

2 Likes

Is the HTC u12 coming soon or something?

Most likely it’ll be announced next spring.

Well damn it, now I want to wait. Hmm seems like i’ll be sticking with my iphone 6 for now.

Keep whatever phone you have until it either breaks or becomes really slow–most likely the 4- or 5-year mark.

1 Like

Keep reading Engadget and The Verge for what’s available and for reviews. If you want to know what’s in the pipeline, you can follow Evan Blass (@evleaks) on Twitter and also the Android Police blog. These two sources get most of the leaks.

1 Like

I just broke up with Apple after 8 years and got Note 8. I was bit skeptical of Samsung phones, but this phone has been excellent so far. I paid 15k upfront rather than 24-26k for the new iPhone, and couldn’t be happier. I used Siri quite often and personally, Google Assistant blows Siri out of the water. I just love the amount of available options to run your phones, and that AMOLED screen is mesmerizing.

My only gripe so far is the size of this phone. It’s much bigger so it’s hard to carry around like I did with my iphone 6.

I’m perfectly happy with my phone except for memory. 16gb I can’t do anything with.

Yes. That’s understandable. I was in a similar situation with my Incredible S.

A couple years ago, phones were purposely made with a small amount of storage to drive users to cloud services. Thankfully, that seems to have stopped. Try to get a phone that has a microSD card slot. Android has the option–called adoptable storage–to combine the microSD card’s storage with the phone’s internal storage. I was told it’s safest not to do this and to just just use the microSD card as external storage. It’s your choice, so read up on it if you’re curious.

I got a offer from my phone carrier to renew my contract today for a 32gb iPhone 6 for only 1000ntd. I’m considering, I have no issues with the 6 that I have now, only the 16bg is too little and I can’t download anything and consistently have to delete something to do something.

I wonder if 32gb is enough still? Isn’t the standard 64 now.

I was looking for a big-screen smartphone earlier this year after using my Asus Fonepad7 for like 3 or 4 years. Someone on this forum pointed me to Acer Iconia Talk S. I like 7" smartphone screens (so I don’t have to squint) and dual SIM card slots. Bought the Iconia and not had a problem since. Run by Mediatek chipset, too, which is nice.

If you take a lot of pictures with your phone, have tons of apps and music, i recommend the 64gb as your minimum. If you cheapen out and get the 32gb, you’ll most likely run in to the same issues within the coming years that you have with your iPhone now (ie. not enough space, constantly deleting items etc). I also recommend that you if you do decide to switch to an Android, I suggest you buy a phone where it has a micro sd slot to add space (ie. Samsung Galaxy) and go from there.

1 Like

My wife got a 7-inch Asus Fonepad for dirt cheap when she signed a phone contract 2 years ago. I’m surprised how much I like it. I don’t use it as a phone, though. I disabled all the calling functions and just use it as a tablet at home. Asus also made Google’s Nexus 7 tablet, which she uses, so they definitely know a thing or two about those.

Go with Android and free unlimited storage for pictures, videos, and nearly everything else. And better capabilities.

1 Like

My Padfone was the best. Great pictures, fast functions, never a memory problem. Alas, they do not make them anymore.

1 Like

The Fonepad my wife got for me was definitely not flagship specs, but I don’t use it as my daily driver.

Too bad they don’t make those Padfones anymore. They were a neat idea, but probably too much of a niche market.

I’d get another 7-inch tablet from them if this one goes down. I actually really like my wife’s Nexus 7. The only bad thing I’ve heard from a repair shop about Asus is that it’s hard to get parts for their stuff.

Yep, I am keeping the Fonepad 7. Have reformatted it as a new phone and will selectively put things on it for the children. Was very happy with this Asustek smartphone and never had any problems.

What :scream: