Beyond Beauty - Taiwan from Above 看見台灣

My friend had the same experience. Maybe we’re talking about the same person…

Hope so. Or it is happening more often than not. This things is really spiraling by word of mouth. “The movie everyone is talking about”.

I was moved deeply by the whole “We’ve built a concrete wall to separate us from the sea” aspect. Alienation from nature, big in Taiwan.

My 5 cents: “If you don’t plan to see Beyond Beauty: Taiwan From Above, here’s why you should”
intaiwan.de/2013/11/15/beyon … tary-film/

Dunno if it is affecting policy or something, but the Nantou area which was shown aplenty in the film is allegedly declared not suitable for living and the Govt. is planning to move the hotels and stuff to a “safer” place. However, of course the hoteliers refuse/continue business as usual…

And that is the way the cookie crumbles…

Are you talking about Lushan hot spring area ? That place is everything that is wrong with Taiwan. There are abandoned metal and concrete structures everywhere and at least half the hotels are illegal. It’s like Wulai on steroids (and Wulai is bad enough). Unfortunately the situation in Lushan has not improved since the first time I visited about 12 years ago.
EDIT- maybe you are talking about Qingjing Farm area, which has also been over exploited.

Are you talking about Lugu hot spring area in Nantou? That place is everything that is wrong with Taiwan. There are abandoned metal and steel structures everywhere and at least half the hotels are illegal. It’s like Wulai on steroids (and Wulai is bad enough). Unfortunately the situation in Lugu has not improved since the first time I visited about 12 years ago.

Did not catch the name. Looked to me like the hotels that were dragged by the typhoon several years ago, just hanging at the edge of the concrete river…

And I bet there are a hundred places like that all over Nantou.

[quote=“Icon”]Did not catch the name. Looked to me like the hotels that were dragged by the typhoon several years ago, just hanging at the edge of the concrete river…

And I bet there are a hundred places like that all over Nantou.[/quote]

yep, Lushan hot spring area indeed. By the way, that is where Mona Rudo’s tribal village Mhebu is located. After most of the Seediq were killed and the survivors force relocated, the Japanese built a nice hot spring bath house there. According to elderly, the area was still fairly beautiful 40 years ago. But then unregulated development destroyed everything.

found this post with a lot of old photos:
burt.pixnet.net/blog/post/270736 … B%E6%B3%89

I did! I really enjoyed it.
HOWEVERRRRR.
With cinematography/film studies background I thought the call to action at the end was missing… I wish they did better marketing and had petitions or some more information on how people can get involved…

Won Golden Horse as best documentary.

One must wonder that if they didn’t get “A city of Sadness” will they get this?

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Finally got around to seeing it yesterday. I think this is a must-see for people who reside here in Taiwan. I especially liked the fact that the narrator had a strong Taiwanese accent as opposed to “standard” Beijing Mandarin. The music could have been toned down in some parts. I think the pictures can effectively convey a message without the help from a thundering orchestral score. The most moving part for me was the farmers who adopted organic farming even though it cost more and made less economic sense. And as previously mentioned, it would have been better without the last scene with the flags. Definitely go see it if you haven’t.

I saw it yesterday as well, and I agree that it’s a must-see for residents here (and yeah, the music could be toned down). It was pretty sobering to learn that among power plants, Taichung’s is the world’s largest producer of CO₂; and that as an island nation, more than 50% of its coastline is dominated by concrete.

OK, I finally watched it. This type of movies should be played in all the schools. Everybody should be taught about what we are doing with not only our home but the future generation’s. The soundtrack makes its function, it’s quite mood-settling, I’d not change it as some people suggest here.

I really want to find the torrent if it exists, I’d like to share this with my friends back home. Even though this movie talks about Taiwan, the problems we see affect the entire world.

Somebody send me a dvd !

Loved it

Glad to see so many people in the theater. And many more waiting outside for the next show.
Could feel people being caught in the movie, watching intensively, and reacting
The content of the speech and the voice are perfect. Supporting the pictures. Asking the right questions.
Noticed the repetition of ‘our’… our land, our country, our Taiwan.
It’s a movie that touches the heart and not the brain. Wish it can change some - a lot? - people
The discovery of the ‘background’ of Alishan train station was a shock for most! Oooooh !
And many other issues awoke the people, and my kids as well, asking: Why is the river red?
To be recommended

Hey, I want a copy!

Ooooh and the Taipower workers cleaning electric cables on their helicopter… what an eye opener!

And actually the whole part about electric cables and powerplants was shocking for most viewers… since we are just a few kilometers away from that Wuchi Power plant!
Wish it will change my wife’s mind about independent and sustainable power and work towards producing our own electricity (solar, wind, whatever, even urine… I am studying this:
offgridworld.com/urine-power … ith-waste/ )

Don’t know how people can be so blind to stuff staring them in the face everyday, guess it will always be a mystery to me. I mean you just drive on the highway or take a train and you see the pylons or over development everywhere, the dirty rivers with little water and concrete construction.
But I have to believe it is new news to a lot of people.