Bicycle friendly bars and restaurants

By which I mean, bars and restaurants in Taipei where one can roll up on an expensive road bike and eat at the roadside with the bicycle a hands reach away, or even take it inside. There’s at least one bar like this in Tainan, down south - called Kinks - which is set back from the road with outdoors seating and where they’re happy for you to roll in and park your bike next to your table.

Obviously, some night markets are probably okay for this, with regards to street food. I’ve seen people do something like this down on the Xindian riverside, where they have open air restaurants - although even then, seeing people sitting chatting with their expensive-looking bikes not in direct line of sight and, frankly, not even with a lock through the frame and wheel, makes me more than a little nervous.

If there is anywhere like this - apart from Xindian (overpriced food) and the night markets (crowded and difficult to navigate with a bicycle) let me know.

Wendel’s in TienMu

Helen’s coffee up on the mountain (WuZhiShan)

7-11 at YMS.

But please consider your fellow diners: no way in hell would I want to eat a fancy lunch (or heaven forbid, formal dinner) next to a smelly bunch of cyclists INDOORS, 'mkay?

On Tap has an outdoor beer garden in front…you’re welcome to bowl up and park your bike.

The owner of Frog Cafe is a cycling enthusiast who’s ridden around the island, and he’s made his place very bicycle friendly. It’s located smack in the middle of Taipei (near Nanjing/Songjiang). You can park (hang) you bike vertically against a wall in the front yard and not having to worry about it as you enjoy your sandwich and drink inside. They also have another branch along the riverside bike path near Guandu bridge on the Bali side. They even do bike repairs there and can help you plan your round-the-island ride.

They’re all great suggestions. particularly Frog Cafe, a branch of which is, I see, not at all far from a route I’ve been exploring north towards Danshui. Thanks for that!

Actually, any restaurant/cafe that has a front yard or porch would most likely be bike friendly. Just ask nicely first if it’s OK to leave your bike on the porch as you dine inside. There are several cafes in Daan like this.

Sonnentor
ccmai.pixnet.net/blog/post/35893855-%5B食記%5D–台北-新生南路-日光大道健康廚坊*sonne

Mooi Trouve
herbandlace.com/mooi-trouve-a-re … fe-taipei/

Ecole
blog.yam.com/ivy060710/article/71527975

This German restaurant is near Xiaobitan MRT not far from the riverside bike path. Be sure you go hungry.
Pal N Pals
sotongyee.blogspot.tw/2012/10/pal-n-pals.html

Bumping this back up - I’m looking for restaurants that are good to access from the riverside paths, and where I can sit outside with my bike (or bring the bike inside).

My favourite for this purpose is currently Ed’s Diner in Dazhi - the ride to get there from the paths is fast and along nice wide roads, with no tricky navigation or traffic issues. There are picnic tables outside so I can eat beside my bike, with the added bonus that, now that the warmer weather has arrived, I don’t need to worry too much about stinking out the poor souls sitting next to me. If I have the set and/or a carbonated beverage, my ride home is a bit sluggish, but if I “just” have one of their burger options, I can still put in a good effort.

What are some other places that people recommend? I’m fairly often on the riverside paths in the late afternoon/evening, starting from Danshui, and am looking for a good but not excessively large dinner at the far end - Gongguan area (although getting into the NTU area from the riverside paths doesn’t quite pass the “easy stress-free access” criteria), or maybe Xindian if I’m being ambitious, or Dazhi, or Neihu. Even Sanchong, but, um, I’d be mildly surprised if “picturesque, idyllic Sanchong” has much in the way of food that’d be enjoyable (rather than just a fuel stop).

Dazzler Fish and chips in Gongguan should work.

It’d be perfect, except that it’s only open on weekends, 3pm to 10pm. I should have mentioned earlier that I’m on the riversides on weeknights. (No chance I’d be going for a long ride along the rivers on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.)

佬澳單車複合式餐飲 - Bloke’s Workshop in XIndian. Do a search on FB.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Bumping this back up - I’m looking for restaurants that are good to access from the riverside paths, and where I can sit outside with my bike (or bring the bike inside).

My favourite for this purpose is currently Ed’s Diner in Dazhi - the ride to get there from the paths is fast and along nice wide roads, with no tricky navigation or traffic issues. There are picnic tables outside so I can eat beside my bike, with the added bonus that, now that the warmer weather has arrived, I don’t need to worry too much about stinking out the poor souls sitting next to me. If I have the set and/or a carbonated beverage, my ride home is a bit sluggish, but if I “just” have one of their burger options, I can still put in a good effort.

What are some other places that people recommend? I’m fairly often on the riverside paths in the late afternoon/evening, starting from Danshui, and am looking for a good but not excessively large dinner at the far end - Gongguan area (although getting into the NTU area from the riverside paths doesn’t quite pass the “easy stress-free access” criteria), or maybe Xindian if I’m being ambitious, or Dazhi, or Neihu. Even Sanchong, but, um, I’d be mildly surprised if “picturesque, idyllic Sanchong” has much in the way of food that’d be enjoyable (rather than just a fuel stop).[/quote]

Another bump.

If you’re riding after open hours of most of the bike shops. Almost every other bike shop now is a pseudo cafe. Not all of them will be close to a riverside path, but you can’t have everything! A few to name are Elephant Bike new Song Shan Train Station. Da Vinci Bike over near GuTing MRT on HePing.

I will add to the list that Da Zhi is definitely the prime spot to go for a cup of joe or sandwich after or in the middle of your ride. After exiting the riverside area and head towards Jiannan MRT, you have the FamilyMart with some seats outside. If you’re a 7-11 kind of guy, you can sit at the FamilyMart chairs and walk over to 7-11 around the corner.

Farther down the road next to Boutique Velo, there’s a Mcdonald’s in the complex diagonally across from Miramar.

In the building that houses Wego, there’s a Mos Burger, 7-11, and a pretty fancy looking sushi express.

There’s also a Lavazza Cafe at the Jiannan MRT intersection (JingYe and Bei An Rd intersection).

Out of the listed above, I would say the Lavazza Cafe and the first FamilyMart (Corner of JIng Ye and LeQun) are the best spots for cyclists. The other spots may have a lot of people and you never know if they’re not careful and knock over your bike. I personally like this FamilyMart because it also has a communal bike pump if you ever need it, not too far from the riverside entrance and also very quiet. Do note that it’s not open 24/7!

Oh yeah, I forgot I asked about this. Thanks!

Another place that’s pretty useful: Maji Square, the pavilion/complex that’s between Yuanshan MRT station and the art gallery - not exactly fantastic food, but a big variety of food-court style places with more of an international variety than you’re going to see anywhere else. You can easily walk your bike into the food court area and rest it beside the table while you eat. I guess it gets too busy at certain times, but I’ve had no trouble with weekday evenings. I’m not sure if it’s open for lunch, but I’ll find out in a few weeks when the midday temperatures cool down a little more.

I still haven’t figured out the most efficient way to ride there, but you can get there from the riverside without dealing with much traffic. It’s just one of those places where to get from the riverside to Zhongshan Road I seemed to go up and down a couple more bicycle ramps than should have been necessary.

[quote=“lostinasia”]
I still haven’t figured out the most efficient way to ride there, but you can get there from the riverside without dealing with much traffic. It’s just one of those places where to get from the riverside to Zhongshan Road I seemed to go up and down a couple more bicycle ramps than should have been necessary.[/quote]
If you’re riding along Jilong River on the south/left bank, there’s a convenient ramp right next to the MRT tracks (where the MRT crosses the river). It drops you down a bike path underneath the MRT, and from there it’s an easy, traffic-free flow to the pavilion.

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“lostinasia”]
I still haven’t figured out the most efficient way to ride there, but you can get there from the riverside without dealing with much traffic. It’s just one of those places where to get from the riverside to Zhongshan Road I seemed to go up and down a couple more bicycle ramps than should have been necessary.[/quote]
If you’re riding along Jilong River on the south/left bank, there’s a convenient ramp right next to the MRT tracks (where the MRT crosses the river). It drops you down a bike path underneath the MRT, and from there it’s an easy, traffic-free flow to the pavilion.[/quote]
OK, thanks - that ramp was going to be my next effort. The previous attempt had me on the roads behind the Fine Arts Museum, which did work eventually, but it sure didn’t seem efficient.

[quote=“lostinasia”][quote=“Incubus”][quote=“lostinasia”]
If you’re riding along Jilong River on the south/left bank, there’s a convenient ramp right next to the MRT tracks (where the MRT crosses the river). It drops you down a bike path underneath the MRT, and from there it’s an easy, traffic-free flow to the pavilion.[/quote]
OK, thanks - that ramp was going to be my next effort. The previous attempt had me on the roads behind the Fine Arts Museum, which did work eventually, but it sure didn’t seem efficient.[/quote]

I know when you’re traveling southeast on that side of the river that there’s two exits towards Zhong Shan N. Road. One that Incubus mentioned and shortly after there’s one that takes you right onto Zhong Shan Bridge, this is probably where you’re going up the ramp, down the ramp, doing two U-turns in that process. I second Incubus’ route. The ramp is a little longer and steeper, but it’s definitely a more direct/traffic free route.

I’m surprised we haven’t mentioned the coffee stops right on the riverside paths. The one right after Shezhi Bridge on the east side of Keelung/Danshui River and I’M HERE COFFEE, no more than 1km from the coffee shop(s) under Shezhi Bridge next to the CX bike track. I have personally never tried their coffee, but have only bought water there. The location is nice, but you really aren’t getting much of a view when you’re under bridge(s).

My number 1 spot has to be Helen’s coffee (ChangQing Road) up towards Wu Zhi Mountain and Star City (星城) at the peak of Wu Zhi Mtn. I’m a regular at Star City and nothing really beats finishing the Xi Wan Road climb and sitting up there with a nice cold latte. Nothing!

Hello friends.

I’m a compiling a list of bike-friendly establishments as a side thing and shall be going through this thread from stop to bottom to mark everything that has been mentioned thus far.

Since it is a bit out of date now, it would be great if you guys can share any more recent discoveries, either in Taipei or New Taipei. I hope to one day visit them all to see for myself :).

Cheerio :wink:

Dazzler Fish and Chips is no longer there. But there are a couple eateries and a pub around the small plaza where Dazzler used to be.

My ride on Saturday took me to WOW Cafe in Shenkeng.

https://goo.gl/maps/5quyfVPm9BKiuM8Z6

The catch is, you have to climb a little to get there! A great spot to go if you just want to spend the afternoon surrounded by wilderness.

The menu is pretty extensive, from coffee to beer and snacks to entire entrees. Pricing is a bit on the higher end, but they are tucked away in the mountains, the pricing reflects the amount of foot traffic they get on a daily basis.

2 Likes

If you’re heading down to Wulai, a good place to stop and dine on the other side of the river from the main road. There’s a bridge right next to it so it’s easy to get to. It’s a house with a courtyard, where you can leave your bike without worrying about it.

3 Likes

Cool fact, Wong Leehom filmed his MV there

1 Like