Formosa Water Park explosion (2015)

[quote=“headhonchoII”]This event in particular has left me shaking my head at the response so far. So many kids injured and killed, and I’m just not seeing the root and branch safety reform that needs to be implemented. This place is still far from a developed country. I did open a thread on this very same subject a while back.

I just touched a little bit on it in my OP, but I think I had largely ignored the importance of how people think about safety.

[What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

-[quote]Over emphasis on money , superficial emphasis on face saving rather than doing your job properly and ethically
This is a problem that runs through the educated classes, in the government especially. Many Taiwanese have been educated overseas, but when they come back they end up getting sucked back into the system. They know there are better ways to do things, but they don’t do them. They just sit there and go through the motions and wait for the pensions. Look at the mayor of Taichung as an example, he has a PhD from Cambridge and the President has a PhD from Harvard. CSB was a law professor at NTU. This doesn’t stop them being rotten or useless at their job. [/quote]

If we look through the thread, safety was only really mentioned in terms of ‘food safety’.[/quote]

It has to do with safety awareness which is sorely lacking. They used to tell us in school, “Make it impossible for an accident to happen”, that type of foresight is very much missing. E.g. in driving they expect the other guy to look out for them, while they themselves drive recklessly.