Big Motorcycle Rental (NOT Scooters) & Insurance

Hi everybody,

I know this has been asked many times on the old forum, but in each case, immediately a discussion about whether or not it is a good idea to rent a big bike in Taiwan / Taipei ensues, without the actual question being answered. Hence I will clearly state my questions, and would appreciate if next to the usual discussion they can actually be answered.

1. What is a good place to rent motorbikes >= 600cc in Taipei, and what are your experiences with the place you recommend.
  2. I understand that Taiwanese insurance companies do not offer insurance to rental vehicles (WTF!?), or something along those lines. Maybe there are private individuals that are willing to “lend” people a bike for whatever in return?

A little detail about me: I have been in Taiwan for six years, and in Taipei for four, where I have been riding a SYM Wolf the entire time. I have had no accidents in the four years, and am very much used to the traffic here. I recently got my >250cc license, and would like to get some street experience on different machines (starting from 600cc, and eventually some larger cruisers).

Thanks for any help!

Where do you live? there are rental shops here and there, may be there’s one not far from your place.

Taipei, 中和/永和 area. But I would not mind riding somewhere further away (though I probably won’t rent anything without proper insurance).

Sometimes I ride with a guy who rents here, which is nor far from your place:

奕輪重機
號, No. 63, Section 2, Zhonghua Rd, Tucheng District, New Taipei City, 236
02 2263 9958
https://goo.gl/maps/uXLsXZCjyV22

I knew another place on the way to BeiYi, but it’s been a while since last time I checked it…

Good luck!

Thanks, I’ll stop by there some day and ask for details.

They seem to specialize in racers only though, while I am more interested in touring / cruising. But still, better than none. :slight_smile:

There’s another one in Banqiao… I could ask

I’ve had great luck with this place for a few years now. Friendly and easy. I go to the shop on the corner of Minzu and Fushing. They have all sizes and types of bikes. A lot at 600cc and up to 1200cc including Harleys, BMW, with/without bags, etc. Cruising bikes also. I usually go for the 600cc. They have specials for renting a few days and then get free days. Also have a membership with discounts.

Name: SMC
Facebook address: (https://www.facebook.com/suzuka2002/) or type in 鈴鹿重機車業. I just went by the Minzu Lu shop today and the picture is on the facebook page. For some reason, the Facebook has a different address in Sanchong. That could be another shop, or it could be wrong. But there is definitely a shop on Minzu Lu now.
Phone: 02-2518-5633

Thanks a lot, tango42!
Just to clarify – there is also no insurance on those bikes? If so, what is your reasoning to still rent one despite not being insured?

I don’t know about insurance when renting a bike. They may offer or include it.

I know my own medical is covered, and I’ll pay cash for any damage to the bike including total destruction. I’ve probably been living risky but I carry insurance from home that follows me no matter where or what vehicle I’m driving to handle liabilities if someone or something is injured or damaged.

I’ve rented big bikes a few times. And own one as well. There is no insurance on rentals…because there is no insurance on privately owned ones either. The insurance if it existed would be ten times the cost of the rental. If you simply drop the bike at a red light…it could cost you 100,000ntd in plastics. Insurance companies aren’t dumb enough to cover that.

But the rentals have the same insurance that scooters have. That cover next to nothing.

Get yourself a 2nd hand ER6. They cost not much more than a scooter and are 650cc. They are rated in the top ten most reliable bikes of ALL TIME.

In fact I found a place – forgot the name, but it’s the one on Roosevelt Rd. close to NTU – which offers insurance for any damage to others (persons & vehicles) plus the rider, plus have of whatever happens to the bike (according to their flyer). Still not good enough though.

Where I come from, nobody would think about renting anything without proper insurance. And insurances are obviously not taking losses from it, or they wouldn’t do it in the first place. So maybe it’s not as dumb as it sounds.

But then again, this is Taiwan, and not “where I come from”, and the traffic as well as riders are of a different kind.

I am an insurance provider on scooters that I rent out. I do the math on how often my renters crash…and how much it costs to repair them…and then try to find a number where I make some profit without extorting my renters.

I’ve tried doing the math on big bikes…and a small drop can cost over 100,000ntd. So how much would you have to charge for insurance? Maybe just 6000ntd? For a 3000ntd rental? Seems odd. And even at 6000ntd it would be risky. They have a bad accident you could be left owing 600,000ntd or more.

There is a motorcycle rental place in Neihu. They will only rent if you have a Taiwan driver’s license. Not sure about insurance. If interested, I’ll try to dig up their address.

Looks like my favorite shop on Minzu Lu closed.

Any good or new suggestions on where to rent big bikes now in Taipei?

Or how to search? Can’t find anything but scooters google’ing in English.

They are still open saw them yesterday. Spring is coming, time to rent big bikes and head South to mountains and beach.

鈴鹿重機-台北店
No. 566, Minzu East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 10491
02 2518 5633
https://goo.gl/maps/bmwQwBNqxEy

For reference