Birds of Taiwan

The Chinese wild bird federation中華鳥會 suggested raptor stickers, but I’ll try a combination of things. Thanks for the suggestions.

It is private, for now… But we welcome visitors and new friends. It is just a few hundred meters from the Beipu cold spring. If you want to visit, send me a pm and I’ll give the exact location.

newsmarket.com.tw/blog/83443/

The African sacred ibis is the new invasive species in Taiwan. It’s more and more common and displacing native egrets. The sacred ibis is ranked in EU’s top 100 invasive species.

1 Like

Should start a rumour that they taste excellent, better then goose meat. They’d be gone overnight.

Weren’t they like brought to Taiwan by a zoo and ran away during a typhoon? Or so was the yarn I was told…

never seen one. Where are they spreading from?

Are these the ones that are all over the place in the Guandu area and mangrove area? It looks that way to me, but I’m appalling at identifying birds. If it’s them, I see them all the time on the Danshui River. Until reading this, they were my second favorite bird to see (after the eagles that sometimes hang around over the river).

I had no idea they were invasive.

Yeah, something about a typhoon damaged the cage and allowed them to escape. You would think that information is plenty to go on for the government to fine the careless zoo, but no, they say they can’t identify who let the birds out, and the deed goes unpunished.

Yeah, something about a typhoon damaged the cage and allowed them to escape. You would think that information is plenty to go on for the government to fine the careless zoo, but no, they say they can’t identify who let the birds out, and the deed goes unpunished.[/quote]

Aren’t imported birds supposed to have some kind of tag for ID? Our neighbor lost his parrot and put a lot of ads around the hood, along with the birdie’s ID number. Unfortunately, I do believe the tag must now be in the belly of one of the market cats…

Honestly, I dunno what is the matter with the law enforcement here. I mean, we already had a hippo dropped like dead meat in the middle of the road. Now, the ones repsonsible for letting the birds escape by not ensuring a proper shelter during a typhoon, me thinks, should also be responsible for bringing them in and fining for ecological damage. Logic dictates so. But with Taiwan’s dinosaur judges, that is difficult, read impossible.

What if next time the animal that escapes is a tiger, a bear, an elephant? The ones affected will need protection from reasonable legislation.

i like this bird of Taiwan

1 Like

[quote=“shastriarvind88”]I like this bird of Taiwan
[/quote]

I love the country with that bird on its coins.

You must be loony.

There is a resident kingfisher at my home. I see him almost daily. But it is just impossible to take a nice photo. I have probably taken thousands of shots… this is the best one…

2 Likes

I saw a white-rumped munia the other day in Beitou near the Huang Xi. Pretty common they say but I don’t recall seeing one in my frequent walks around there. Couldn’t get a good shot; it was too dark. I didn’t know what it was when I saw it but the contrasting coloration made it easy to identify.

3 Likes

Saw a Muller’s Barbet today by the Huangxi. Not every day

I love the Muller’s Barbets, so adorable. Some of them have lost their fear of humans and nest in park trees in full view of pedestrians. In Da’an Park photographers will gather like Paparazzi under trees where they can be spotted easily. Same in Yonghe’s No. 4 Park. Much harder to get a glimpse of them in the forest.

This was at Da’an almost three years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opUP9vHtRUE

Is the muller’s barbet different from the 5 color bird / taiwan barbet? I snapped this one at my house:

4 Likes

Same thing. Nice shot! I tried to activate my crappy camera, but when I looked up it had flown off.

Thanks, but is more luck than anything else…

You use a drone camera? Oh, the bird…

2 Likes

You gotta clip that guy’s wings.