Bizarre English names - Part 2

Moderator’s note: for more bizzarre English names, click Scooter slogans

A boy named Dredery.
What is a Dredery?

In my class tonight…Cloudy and Fun. Also a Garny…wth’s a Garny?

I hired a guy and then found out his English name was ‘Kakess’. Fortunately he quit after a month and I don’t have to call him that :astonished:
Did he misspell ‘carcass’? :wtf:

I have an adult student called Liver who refuses to change his name. Sad, but true.
I could name a student Onions (as in the English surname) but I wouldn’t want to make a meal of out of this kind of tripe.

(I know you found that offally funny, didn’t you)?

The strangest English name I have ever heard was “Reeb.” His parent named him after “Beer” spelled backwards.

The strangest surname I’ve ever heard in English was “Toogood,” he was a British chem prof of mine. Too bad I never paid attention to his class.

I also find many Japanese surnames to be amusing when read in Chinese characters. Middle Rice patty, Cave, Dry river bed.

I also knew an ABC who surname was “Ho.” She was pretty cute but given the popularization of urban slang. Quite a rough time growing up.

But that’s just me.

1 Like

I know a lawyer called Pony Ma (Ma as in horse!) I think it’s starting to dawn on her that her choice of name wasn’t that classy. She’s a great lawyer though.

I also know an Orpheus (but being called Orpheus is borderline cool to me! :sunglasses: )

This whole thread makes me want to have a nice new name too. I’ve been John for almost four decades! :frowning: While the name is becoming a rarity among people born post-1960s it is still kind of boring. :snore:

And Taiwanese tease me about it with some stupid song ‘Deeeaaar John…’ which I’d never heard before I came here. :unamused:

In my next country (or life), I want to be something more fabulous. And thanks to this thread I have lots of ideas! :notworthy:

I know some Chinese people with bizarre English names. But the award for most bizarre English name has to go to an American kid who hung out at the community center that I used to work at in Minneapolis.

He signed up for one of my programs and from his signature I thought his name was “Kilev”. But when I called his house, I was informed his real and actual name was “Killer”. Nice name for a kid, right? :noway:

1 Like

Was his family mainland Chinese?

There’s a brand of beer in Shanghai, and perhaps elsewhere in China called Reeb. It’s fun to get drunk and hold it up to a mirror…

Reeeeeb…ahhh!

[quote=“Erhu”]I know some Chinese people with bizarre English names. But the award for most bizarre English name has to go to an American kid who hung out at the community center that I used to work at in Minneapolis.

He signed up for one of my programs and from his signature I thought his name was “Kilev”. But when I called his house, I was informed his real and actual name was “Killer”. Nice name for a kid, right? :noway:[/quote]

Parents just trying to fit in with the good ole american ethic, you know, give you kid a headstart…

A girl who works at my favorite travel agency in Chinatown (SF) is named Kennex. Like the sporting equipment manufacturer.

Grap on my tired?

wtf is with Part 2?

[Moderator’s reply: the software that Forumosa uses can’t cope very well with topics more than about 20 pages, so I made a new thread before the old one got too long, You’ll see a lot of threads that are “part 2” etc, that is why]

Some English teacher was a bit mean.
I met a girl named Genitalia - “you can call me Jenny, for short” She chirped. Her b/f has some other similar name but I can’t remember what

My friend and I almost pissed our pants.

I went to school with a girl called Casey Aregood. She was a bitch.

I went to school with a girl called Casey Aregood. She was a bitch.[/quote]

Not only that, but ungrammatical with it - doubly annoying! :wink:

a friend told me he had a girl student named Clitty…

Got asked to teach English to a company, by someone called Iron Fist Chang.

I met a Taiwanese guy in England who laughed at my Chinese name. He was called Hammer.

One of the directors of Standard Life Assurance Company is a Mr Littleboy. It think that’s not weird but incredibly cute! (Have I been in Taiwan too long?) :s

When I lived in Beijing during the heyday of dot-communism, we employed a guy named:

Lucent Chen

Later on we hired someone named Elton Jin.

Also we had a little annoying guy with glasses named Spike Lu.

I swear to god it cracks me up every time I think about those three names.

:unamused:

I feel sorry for the non-native speaker of English trying to select an English name for himself. Judging by the replies here, we are often no help, preferring a good laugh to helping someone select a name. Even dictionaries won’t help much.
Imagine the confusion: the surname “Ho” provokes laughter, but her customer “John” has the most common English name. “Wang” raises a few titters, and “Genitalia” and “Kunt” are obviously ridiculous, but there’s nothing wrong with the perfectly ordinary English names “Fanny,” “Willy” and “Dick.”
They probably think naming their kid after a cartoon character is safe: witness Mickey, Garfield and Donald. Unfortunately, I’ve also met Goofy and Dumbo.

My all-time favorite student’s name was T-Dog Hamburger. Said the T was short for Tyler. He was 8 years old and I asked him if a former English teacher gave him the ‘T-Dog’ idea, he swore he thought of it himself!! Then he added on Hamburger for the hell of it. !

The one that has me laughing the most that I’ve seen here is Genitalia (“Jenny for short!”) hilarious.!!!