Blue screen crash in VISTA

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Hartzell”]Hence, what we are wanting to do is to get someone to FIX THE PROBLEM.

That being said … maybe I should be asking for formosa.com introductions to RELIABLE COMPUTER REPAIR in the Neihu area, hopefully with pick-up and delivery service.

Any suggestions???[/quote]Well, a lot of people recommend a Canadian guy called Nam, at Nationwide.com.tw. I’m not sure where he’s based, but he does do pick-up and delivery. He’s a friendly, helpful guy, and he built a nice desktop computer for me last year.[/quote]

Nam’s Nationwide computer services (0926 763 664) is based right next to Neihu, so he might be just the guy. (See THIS thread for various recommendations.) If you’re unhappy with the service you’re getting, you may want to give him a try. He does pick-up and delivery too. He has been very good about solving any problems I’ve had, even when my requests were a bit more than some service providers would comply with (ok, I can be a difficult client :smiley:) and I’m happy with the service I got, so I recommend him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he suggests you switch to 64-bit XP.[/quote]Well, if Nam does suggest switching to 64-bit XP, ask him lots of questions about why, and whether it will work with your hardware!

He put this OS on my desktop at first, but unfortunately it doesn’t have drivers for my printer (a very common HP one), or my phone (a Palm, still very popular worldwide). And there were no suitable drivers available from HP or Palm, either. It was a bit of a hassle to get 32-bit XP put back on the desktop. He was happy enough to do it, but it took time that I couldn’t spare very well. Hence my comments in the post above.

Don’t get me wrong: great guy, very helpful. But as with all busy computer service guys you should check carefully to see that the service he suggests is what you need, and that the timing will suit you.

Here’s a passage from Wikipedia detailing problems with XP Pro 64-bit:[quote]There are some common issues that arise with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

* Driver compatibility; Only 64-bit kernel mode drivers are supported. This means that devices for which there are no 64-bit Windows XP drivers available cannot be used. This includes a lot of common hardware.
* Any 32-bit Windows Explorer extension fails to work with 64-bit Windows Explorer. Explorer is a 64-bit program, so it cannot load a 32-bit DLL. However, Windows XP x64 Edition also ships with the 32-bit explorer.exe, which can be used as the user's default shell with a registry change.
* Any 16-bit programs will not run (32-bit software with 16-bit installers based on ACME Setup versions 2.6, 3.0, 3.01, and 3.1 and InstallShield versions 5.x will run correctly)
* Command prompts will not load in full-screen. This is also true of Windows Vista in both 32 and 64 bit editions.
* Some (typically older) programs have 16-bit installers that will not install on the x64 Edition
* No native support for Type 1 fonts.[citation needed]
* Windows Media Player 11 for this version of Windows unusually runs as a 32-bit application. The only use for the specific release of Windows Media Player 11 is that the other applications such as Media Sharing do in fact, run 64-bit. Mini player mode on the taskbar is not available (except with the 32-bit explorer.exe).
* ID3 tag information from music files are not viewable in the Windows Explorer.[citation needed]
* Does not contain a Web Extender Client component for Web Folders (WebDAV).
* The Windows Live installer executable cannot be run, so one needs to find separate .msi installation files for each component (such as Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Mail,...)[/quote]

I do most definitely agree with joesax’s comments there.