Blue Snowball Mic (or a Samson Go Mic)

Like the ones here: bluemic.com/snowball/

I did a quick Google search for Blue Snowball Mic in Taiwan and didn’t see anything relevant in the early pages.

As I was typing this, it occurred to me to check their website again for local distributors. There are 3 listed, but 1 is in Beijing(!) and the other 2 are the same place:
Tony’s Music World
#18, Lane 308, Ho Ping East Road 3rd Section
Taipei, TW 106
(02) 8733-1100

If you can suggest another place I can check in Taipei, plmk

Out of interest, may I ask, what will you use it for, how much is your budget, and any particular reason why just this brand of Microphone?

Sure! I’ve been looking to develop some Taiwan-related and Forumosa-related podcasts, and I’m told that this specific brand works best with the software and equipment we’re used to (Skype/Pamela Pro in Windows and Skype/Call Recorder in Mac).

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Like the ones here: bluemic.com/snowball/

I did a quick Google search for Blue Snowball Mic in Taiwan and didn’t see anything relevant in the early pages.

As I was typing this, it occurred to me to check their website again for local distributors. There are 3 listed, but 1 is in Beijing(!) and the other 2 are the same place:
Tony’s Music World
#18, Lane 308, Heping East Road 3rd Section
Taipei, TW 106
(02) 8733-1100

If you can suggest another place I can check in Taipei, plmk[/quote]

Watch out, Goose Egg. Tony’s has moved. Now located in Neihu: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =#p1327446

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Goose Egg”]Like the ones here: bluemic.com/snowball/

Tony’s Music World
Taipei, TW 106
(02) 8733-1100

Watch out, Goose Egg. Tony’s has moved. Now located in Neihu: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =#p1327446[/quote]

Oops, sorry, irishstu, they have a new location there on Heping, I’ve driven past it a couple times in the last week.
Sort of close to where the Dragon Pub used to be, but right on Heping.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Goose Egg”]Like the ones here: bluemic.com/snowball/

Tony’s Music World
Taipei, TW 106
(02) 8733-1100

Watch out, Goose Egg. Tony’s has moved. Now located in Neihu: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =#p1327446[/quote]

Oops, sorry, irishstu, they have a new location there on Heping, I’ve driven past it a couple times in the last week.
Sort of close to where the Dragon Pub used to be, but right on Heping.[/quote]

Oh, whoops. Can someone be so kind as to update that thread I linked to?
(Does the Tony’s at Neihu still exist?)

Yeah, that’s not entirely accurate. The spec on that product suggests they use the standard Windows driver, almost every product on the market that is a USB audio interface, that ONLY needs to meet that level of audio uses Texas Instuments as a AD/DA converter. incidentally, its also the USB interface and it cost about 2 or 3 dollars. Very fast and easy to develop products, if you are really interested the guy that developed them wrote a long article, do click on the next part at the bottom if you find it interesting. A personal memoir of engineering heartache and triumph

I mean, if you read that, what engineer in his right mind would go through that when they can just buy it for a couple of bucks? So, basically, any USB mic that has 44.1khz 16 bit as its spec is 99% likely to be using this chip. So, don’t feel you must buy this brand if you see alternatives.

Thank you :notworthy: So, what I’m really looking for is a 44.1khz 16 bit USB mic.

I’ll search online for this first and then take a few model names with me to Guanghua later this week

This article was very interesting: jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/audio … -for-voice

It includes a “side-by-side” (same conditions) comparison of several USB mics. I was keen to hear any difference between the Blue Snowball (approx GBP 80) and the Samson Go Mic (approx GBP 30). My ears noticed very little difference in quality between the two – the sound quality of the Logitech headset in this test was easier to notice.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/jiscdigitalmedia/usb-mic-comparison[/soundcloud]

The AD Converter spec of both the Samson Go Mic and the Blue Snowball is 44.1kHz/16-bit

Samson Go Mic: amzn.to/9DnamE
Blue Snowball: amzn.to/UeFsS1

Can anyone tell me WCIF a Samson Go Mic in Taiwan? A quick look at the SamsonTech.com website showed me this one distributor in Taiwan

Truesound Trading
8F No. 96 Singde Rd.
Sanchong District
New Taipei City,
Taiwan

Not sure if you’re insistent on just either of the two, but if you’d like to keep an open mind, here’s a strong contender you should check out:
amazon.com/Technica-AT2041-S … 000AQDSMQ/

For podcasting you should also consider the Rode Podcaster and the Heil PR-40. Also check out this post by Dan Benjamin: hivelogic.com/articles/podcastin … guide-2011

Hello @GooseEgg

Did you find the shop? I’m looking to buy the same mic, but its not on PCHome.

IIRC, I ended up buying it on Amazon and had it sent to a US address, then a friend brought it over here.

I ended up being a little disappointed with the Samson Go Mic. Today, there should be other alternatives, so if I ever bought a Mic again, I would look for something else.

FWIW, for quick recording, I actually found the built-in mics of my phones or tablet to be sufficient - comparable or better than the external mic, and with no set-up involved, it’s easier to use. It’s just a question of what format the recording comes in and then how to get that recording. For example, I record notes in Evernote, which is really easy to do with their widgets (just a couple taps gets me rolling), but then if I want to share that recording with someone I need to think about how to get it into a standard format (like mp3) and how to share it.

It all boils down to what exactly your purpose is. Mine are not that ambitious so the built-in solutions worked fine.

1 Like