Board Games

I would like to buy some board games, Amazon only ships these kinds of products within the States. Does anyone know any other sites that offer classic board games with Amazonesque prices and will ship to Taiwan?

Thanks.

Sorry. That’s Life.

Board games are a vanishing breed. I used to play board games when I was a kid. Avalon Hill games were great but really complicated. I thought that with computers, you could take the tedium out the them and keep the cerebral quality of the adventure. But that hasn’t happened. Apparently you can’t have a successful computer game unless you have a giant ogre slicing up trolls or some such crap. It all has to be action and movement to capture the video game market.

I think the Monopoly game with Taiwan streets is cute, but I’ve never played it. I keep meaning to buy it for a Christmas present for someone. Toys R Us has Hungry Hungry Hippos.

[quote=“Richardm”]Sorry. That’s Life.

Board games are a vanishing breed. I used to play board games when I was a kid. Avalon Hill games were great but really complicated. I thought that with computers, you could take the tedium out the them and keep the cerebral quality of the adventure. But that hasn’t happened. Apparently you can’t have a successful computer game unless you have a giant ogre slicing up trolls or some such crap. It all has to be action and movement to capture the video game market.

I think the Monopoly game with Taiwan streets is cute, but I’ve never played it. I keep meaning to buy it for a Christmas present for someone. Toys R Us has Hungry Hungry Hippos.[/quote]

I agree, the days of getting a tabletop game of Squad Leader going are over.

I think your best bet is to have it shipped to someone you know in North America and then have them ship it to you here in Taiwan or go pick it up from them on your next trip home. That’s how I handle companies that only ship in the US.

[quote=“Richardm”]Sorry. That’s Life.

Avalon Hill games were great but really complicated.[/quote]

Ahhh, played many a great game of football strategy and baseball strategy, probably a few others too. they still in business? there used to be a mail order outfit out of scottsdale arizona if i remember that carried a lot of stuff like this, years ago though.

I figured I would have to do that. Seems as though no one ships toys or games anywhere outside of thier home country, even Walmart, Kmart and the likes.

this was the place i was thinking of, they seem to ship overseas, maybe you could find something

flyingbuffalo.com/prices.htm

If you game, you must have a set of these, they rock!

Pizza Dice Set $2.00

Well, I am going home for part of July (with an empty duffel bag that I bought the last time I went home to fill with Western toys and games). I will be stocking up on some games anyways (for Games Club and my students). PM me if you are interested, impleased.

Maybe these are widely available, but I noticed the toy store in Taipei 101 has Uno, Jenga, Operation, Monopoly, Risk and possibly a couple of others I can’t remember.

If you haven’t been to Witches’ Pub (aka Witch House, the one under Fem Books) lately, go now. The owner imports and sells a ton of German boardgames. Settlers of Cataan, Evo, Medieval Merchant, tons and tons of others that I don’t remember the names of. Oh, and most of the games are available to play, too, so you get to decide what you like before you buy. Some of the games only have instructions in German, but there is usually a German guy on the premises whose job is to explain rules to newcomers.

When you say “classic boardgames” can you be a bit more specific as to what you mean? See, some folks think boardgames as Monopoly, Life, and the like - all available locally - but others of us want something else.

Which “classics” are you after?

Welcome back USlangren. Where ya bin?

When it comes to board games I like chess and draughts (checkers) best. Anyone think they can beat me? I play on Yahoo games quite often.

I haven’t actually gone anywhere. It’s just that some recent “health” difficulties have forced me to limit my time sitting at the computer as it just gets too painful to sit in one spot for long bouts. See briandavidphillips.typepad.com/b … the_p.html

Those games at least are certainly more than easy to find in any stationery store here . . . the problem becomes not so much finding the games as finding someone to play with. Whatever happened to Battle Chess? Anyone know if there are any variations of that still around?

Ahhh, archon. enjoyed many a game of that back when

Of course, one could always go snoop around Chess Variants and tweak some boards of your own . . . one of my favorites . . . Dragon Chess by E. Gary Gygax . . . www.egarygygax.com . . . or Kaissa by John Norman but that one’s less intersting for game play as for the context (and the photos of folks trying to create lifestyles based upon the novels). :slight_smile:

• Brian

Oops. The gygax site seems to be unreliable. The Chess Variants bits are at chessvariants.com/3d.dir/dragonchess.html

• Brian

[quote=“meiguolangren”]When you say “classic boardgames” can you be a bit more specific as to what you mean? See, some folks think boardgames as Monopoly, Life, and the like - all available locally - but others of us want something else.

Which “classics” are you after?[/quote]

Classics such as Life, Candyland, Clue, Risk…, and yes, some are available locally but NT$800-1000 for a board game is steep.

There is a shipping and shopping company in California called American Goodies. They will recieve and forward packages from US companies that don’t ship internationally for you, or shop for your favorite things you have been missing.

There are many options you can discuss with them.

You can check their site at americangoodies.com

I have not used them yet but intend to. I have been in contact with the owner and it seems the best and safest way to go.

I don’t suppose there are any stores in Taipei or Taichung that sell board games. Are there?