Board Games

you got a toys 'r us out that way? we’ve got a full one and an “express” one out here in the sticks, and both stock more popular titles …

There are a number of US websites that ship games overseas. They often have 30% discounts.

try

www.funagaingames.com

www.bouldergames.com

www.thoughthammer.com

or if you know the game’s manufacturer/publisher, some of them also ship overseas, but don’t necessarily have discounted prices.

In addition, in Taipei, you can buy games at the Witches House, or Alchemy

I’ve checked out Witch House. Where is Alchemy?

There is a Toys R Us in Taichung, but it sucks big time vis-a-vis board games.

Hi,
Alchemy is at 9F-1 #305 Zhongxiao East Road Section 3, on the Northwest corner of the intersection of Zhongxiao East and Fuxing Sth. The Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station has Exit #1 on that corner.
艾客米 中孝東路三段305號9樓-1

(復興南路+中孝動路口)
There is also their website.
akmigames.com/

If you want a good Taiwanese opponent in Taipei for a consim, try to contact “Kevin”. You could find him via the games staff (not the restaurant staff) at the Witch House. If nothing helps, ask for Yoyo and explain you are a hardcore gamer and want to meet Kevin. He also headed the Taiwan Board Game Association for some time at least, so he could possibly also point you at other consim grognards.

I played GMTs “Path of Glory” against Kevin in 2003. In case you missed it on the sports channels ( :sunglasses: ) I am pretty good at Wargames, play a wide range from ASL to WiF … but I only managed a draw against him. Actually had the upper hand against him, but then squandered it. In my defense: I only had a week to learn and prepare myself. Used everything I could find on www.consimworld.com as advice, played a couple of solitair runs against myself and even had a newbie sparring partner for two preparatory sessions. Wasn’t enough.

Last I heard from Kevin was that he wanted to look into Advanced Squad Leader. I am sorry to say we lost contact. The guy was DEFINITELY worth my time. Good challenge - no walkover. What adds to it … he is Taiwanese and may be your stepping stone into the local wargamer scene.

Actually there at least 3 consim gamers who are GC members…myself, and another two who don’t have Forumosa handles. The other two play ASL too…

We played Here I Stand a few weeks ago, and have been playing Twilight Struggle.
We have played Britannia and Game of Thrones at the Witch House…which aren’t exactly light Euro-games either.

The main problem with playing Consim games here, aside from too few players full-stop, is that there don’t seem to any newbies either willing or able to take the time to learn rules and get familiar with a longer game.
It often takes time to play most Consim games well. And several sessions too.
Funnily enough the same people not willing to ‘learn rules’ or become familar with a game or play a ‘long game’, are often the ones who can play computer games for hours. :loco:

So, any other recommendations for places to buy western board games in Taipei? Mostly interested in the old standards like Scrabble, Monopoly, Twister, etc. I’ve got a class that deserves a break tomorrow and I’d like to bring a game or two.

Toys R Us in NYNY has Monopoly (standard, Taiwan, and deluxe editions), Hotel, Game of Life, and a few others.

I assume NYNY is a store. Roughly where is it?

Toys R Us seems a decent place to buy board games. Went to the one at 28 Xinsheng N. Rd, Sec. 2. They had 30 or so to pick from, including several forms of Scrabble, Twister, Boggle, chess, checkers, etc. (02) 2521-9025.

Sorry, New York New York, at the Warner Village/Mitsukoshi complex northeast of 101.

I used to be an avid player of Avalon Hill war games, in fact I still have a few of them gathering dust in a closet back in Canada.

I would certainly be interested in playing big, long strategy games, but not at the Witch House, nor any other restaurant. In my opinion such a venue is better suited toward smaller, faster games.

As you said, sometimes several sessions are required to play a Consim game well.

tapiooca Mandarin Board Games

starting 19.30, Aug 23, 2017. Free admission.
Games include:
:shield:Telestrations (傳情畫意)
:shield:CS files (犯罪現場)
:shield:Codenames (機密代號)
:shield:One night werewolf (一夜狼人)
…and more! Registration here.

Next on Friday, September 15, 2017, with admission charge.