Books on Taiwan: something for everyone

Taiwan Tales free for one week at Smashwords. Enter the code RW100 when you checkout. smashwords.com/books/view/522526

Glowing review for Taiwan Tales at Taipei Times: taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003613878

Paperbacks of Taiwan Tales are available for NT$300 at this Sunday’s book launch:

The paperback of Taiwan Tales is being presented at ColorWolfStudio at Linsen N. Rd. Ln. 9 No 13 6F, Taipei, this Sunday 16.00 - 19.00. The event includes a sneak preview of the forthcoming anthology, Night Market. A panel of writers will answer questions and give readings.

[quote=“maowang”]Sneider, Vern. 1953. A Pail of Oysters. New York, Putnam’s Sons Publishing.
This is a fictional story, but the tale might as well be real to a Taiwanese. The story starts in near Lukang when KMT soldiers steal the god from a family and he is sent to bring it back. Much of the story focuses around an American newsman stationed in Taipei and how he learns Nationalist Taiwan is not what it seems. The true story behind the fiction is that Sneider met Ed Paine, an eye witness to the 228 massacre and Paine hooked Sneider up with his interpreter. The history is fuzzy, the places are not where they should be, but the story is more an allegory of 50’s Taipei with the dreaded race track and deaths. This book is now considered rare following years of KMT student spies stealing it from libraries.[/quote]
I thought that followers of this thread might like to know that after being out of print for six decades, we are rereleasing A Pail of Oysters today. See the [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/a-pail-of-oysters-banned-white-terror-novel-finally-rereleased/89151/1 thread[/url] for more details.

I see Shawna Yang Ryan’s Green Island has been released to some acclaim. Anyone read it?

I just finished a book titled Formosan Moon which is available on Amazon Kindle. I wrote about a lot of places we’ve visited in central and northern Taiwan.

I haven’t read Green Island either, but right now it’s a Kindle Daily Deal for USD1.71, so I picked it up. Given how many other books I keep buying with those deals, I should get around to reading it in 2045 or so.

Caveat: with region blocking and my Kindle account being vaguely based in Canada but also in the USA yet I’m paying with a Taiwanese credit card, god knows what other people will see if they look at the Daily Deals page.

Just an update to add that we now have twenty-one titles involving Taiwan on our website, including some of those mentioned in this thread.

https://camphorpress.com/product-tag/taiwan/

I read a novel. It was the outpouring of an Experienced Ex-pat with good and bad views commentaires on life here. He’d done his homework. But of course it’s a novel, not a historical book persay.

TPEVahana

It’s been a while. What’s the roster of current books dealing with life in Taiwan in the vein of Culture Shock & Keeping up with the War God?
Some of the classics have been revised. Is it worth it as a customer to pay for revisions?
I’d gladly pay for a low priced supplement to books I can prove I own.

Taipei by Tao Lin

This author also writes books about psychedelics.

Love Boat Taipei not to be confused with the movie Love Boat Taiwan.

Ghost Month