Boracay, Philippines

I’ve been in (on) Boracay about 6-7 times, last time 4 years ago.

I did all my scuba classes there from advanced diver to Open water instructor.
As someone posted in another tread that diving safety isn’t taken seriuos I must say that it depends on the diving store/school. Overall, Boracay has a good safety record, with to my knowledge few diving accidents.
Boracay has dives for all levels of divers, from easy dives 10-12 m to a 30-40 m wall dive.

A few links to diving stores/schools;
calypso-asia.com
A link to a bar/restaurant where they have good food, greek salad and hummus + happy hour at sun set.
boracayisland.org/mangoray.shtml

Eateries go from a simple snack (Nadine’s Tune sandwich and famous brownies) to almost fine dining.

A lot off international kitchens are served on Boracay, going from Swiss, French, Indian, Japanese, Philippino etc…

If you like fresh bread then there is/was one English bakery and a Swiss bakery on the Island.

Nightlife on Boracay has it’s charmes (dining) and horrors (shooters bar).

Lodging goes from no star to about 4 star, meaning from spartan to luxurious.

Most businesses that cater to the tourists are foreign owned or co-owned.

Boracay has a large foreign community with it’s own International school.

Boracay has a small hospital that provides medical care for free (back then), and has a few private dental, medical clinics and farmacies.

Boracay has one road running from north to south over the lenght of the Island. Almost now cars (since they opened the golf resort there are cars on the island). Most of transportation and “taxi” service is done by tricycle motorcycle or bicycle.

Motorcycles are only allowed on the central road, so it’s a pleasant walk along the beach with no traffic.

Anyway, it’s too much to write down but Boracay is great. Go ther and see/experience for yourself.
The best way to reach Boracay(not the cheapest) is flying to Caticlan from Manila domestic airport. cost; about 100 USD return. Another flight service goes from Manila to Kalibo, from where you have to take a bus to Caticlan (2 hours). You can reach Boracay also from Cebu by air.
There is a ferry service available, I think two or three times a week from Manila.

Actually non of the fllights go directly to Boracay Island, a short boat trip (20 min.) from the main Island of Aklan must be done.

Main link boracay.org

Shooters as in guns or something else? You didn’t mention about the babes. No Angeles City, eh?

I didn’t see angels in the city.

And … if you want babes, you need to go to Puerto Galera.

More to the south of the Philippines there are real shooters (like in shooting bullets)

Boracay is pretty decent.

I also like Boracay a lot. Great foreign food under palms on the beach with your feet in the sand. Italian food cooked by an Italian, French by Frenchman. Go figure. Anyone been there lately? I wonder with the fighting going on and the US troops there, is it safe? Were there many people in Boracay if you went recently? How is the water, is the algae gone or is there more now in some new spots?

Looking to go to Boracay for the first time this CNY. Can anyone help me with the following:

Can i buy tickets for Manila-Caticlan before i go?
How far is it from Caticlan to Boracay?
Has anyone stayed at Nigi Nigi’s?
Any tips/must does/avoids?
Anyone been lately?

Thanks in advance, y’alllll!
Mark

I only had a trip to Palawan thru Manila’s northern harbour by vessel.

I enjoy the countryside. Filipino are really nice people, very hospitable in their nature. I’d love going back again one day.

ax

Does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive places to stay in Boracay? I am headed there for CNY.

Thanks!
DFC

do any of the taiwanese travel agencies offer package deals to boracay? anyone know what the name is in chinese? would it be better to just book everything seperately?

boracay does seem really nice and i’d like to get over there before i leave taiwan, but it also seems like it’s a lot more “involved” to get to than a lot of other vacation spots in se asia.

i’ve seen some pictures that make the place look absolutely amazing.

Inexpensive hotel in Boracay? When I went there that is there was in Boracay, albeit that was 4 or 5 years ago.

I got off the catamaran (Boracay has no airport) waded through the water to get to shore then walked up and down the beach til I found the best looking hotel.

By the way, as I said in my post above my memories of Boracay is of the food, real Italians cooking Italian food and real French men making crepes and French cuisine. Enjoy your time there! Wish I was going, I can’t seem to get a flight off the island.

By the way, I doubt there would be many package deals, Boracay is not the sort of place for Taiwan tourists. Be careful what you say in Chinese though, there are plenty of whiteys on Chinese New Year holiday.

You can also check out the bat cave for fun, although when I went there weren’t a lot of activities. Let me know if the water is still full up with algae. You should plan on doing some scuba or snorkling.

I just booked tickets with a Ms. Xie4 Yi2-ying1 2507-2512.
The Manila connection is via Philippine Air to Kalibo. She wasn’t able to book tickets to Caticlan. The flight to Caticlan looks a bit dicey anyway–small planes on an airline (Asian Spirit) that has had a few crashes in recent years.

Ms. Xie is not very familiar with travel to the philippines-says that most Taiwanese think it is too dangerous, but she just booked the tickets for me so it should be easy for her to do a repeat. She’s reputable-- my company uses her all the time.

Just got back from Boracay!
The beach is white and the beer is sooooooooo cheap, cheaper than a bottle of water.
Accommodations were a bit higher than Ko Samui and so was the food.
The food was excellent though, so I am not complaining!
We didn’t book our hotel, just found one when we got there. The cheapest places are further from the beach…yeah we had to walk for 2 minutes :wink: !
The sky was blue and the water was clear. I wont be going back to Bali for a years that’s for sure!

[quote=“stevieboy”]Just got back from Boracay! The beach is white and the beer is sooooooooo cheap, cheaper than a bottle of water. Accommodations were a bit higher than Ko Samui and so was the food.
The food was excellent though, so I am not complaining! We didn’t book our hotel, just found one when we got there. The cheapest places are further from the beach…yeah we had to walk for 2 minutes :wink: !
The sky was blue and the water was clear. I wont be going back to Bali for a years that’s for sure![/quote]

Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“stevieboy”]Just got back from Boracay! The beach is white and the beer is sooooooooo cheap, cheaper than a bottle of water. Accommodations were a bit higher than Ko Samui and so was the food.
The food was excellent though, so I am not complaining! We didn’t book our hotel, just found one when we got there. The cheapest places are further from the beach…yeah we had to walk for 2 minutes :wink: !
The sky was blue and the water was clear. I wont be going back to Bali for a years that’s for sure![/quote]

Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard. Yer a bastard.
[/quote]

What he said!

no no no
I am a lucky bastard!

Stevieboy,

You are indeed a lucky bastard. My girlfriend and I spent CNY on Boracay last year. It was excellent.

This year we almost froze to death here in Taipei. I got so bored that I actually started to play video-games on a friend’s Xbox! I’ve never played anything like that in my life!

Boracay would have been ten times as much fun.

Good luck to ya!

Last time I went to Boracay was long time ago.

How much is the airfare ? do they have direct flights or do you have to change planes in Manila?

Thanks in advamce for the info

The flight was 12,000 each…but that was the CNY price so I assume it would be MUCH cheaper now. You can fly to Manila or Cebu. There are no direct flights to Caticalan.

Boracay sounds like quite the place.

What is airfare like from Taiwan. Costs while you are there? Things to do?

Transit time?

11k (high season) more less to get to Manila, and another 3-4k to get to Kalibo, the closest airport to Boracay. From there it’s a 5 minute motorcycle taxi to the pier, and then a 40 minute boat ride to Boracay proper. I’ll post more later…

What to do: relax on the beach or go scuba diving!

Can’t give much info on the cost as I was there several years ago and booked it as a package after I got sick of Manila, just took a day, incl. (domestic) flight and hotel.
The hotel was the best one at the time and probably cost around 90-100USD / day, not 5 star nor did it belong to an international chain but it was real nice. Didn’t even mind the salt water shower.
That said it belonged to a chain called Lorenzo and they had at least 3 places on the islands, the Lorenzo South struck me as the most beautiful, situated right on that famous beach.