Both parents have ROC passports with ID numbers (but no ID card), can I apply for my TARC using only one parent's ID card?

Hello,

I would like to obtain ROC citizenship and plan on moving to Taiwan in April to live there for 1-2 years (possibly opting for the 360 continuous days count, after receiving the TARC).

Both my parents were born in Taiwan, have valid ROC passports with ID numbers listed in them but don’t actually have the physical ID card since they left Taiwan and moved to Brazil in the 1970s. They’re currently both dual nationals (both fully Brazilian and Taiwanese citizens).

I am a female in my late 20s and have already submitted the application for my ROC passport at the local TECO in Brazil (I’m currently solely a Brazilian citizen). I can receive the ROC passport by the end of March. My TECO was unable to provide information about specific TARC application requirements and told me I’d have to check with the local authorities upon arriving in Taiwan (I have found much more info here on Forumosa, the wonders of the information age!).

From what I read it seems that I will need one (or both?) of my parent’s/parents’ IDs and HuKou register in Taiwan for me to apply for my TARC.
Both my parents reside in Brazil and is thus complicated and expensive for them to fly to Taiwan to apply for their Taiwanese ID cards. My mom is willing and able to go to Taiwan to obtain her new ID card and should be going to Taiwan in April. We already have a relative in Tainan from her side of the family who is willing to include her (and later on me) in their household registration.

I do know that I need the authenticated marriage and birth certificates, police criminal record as well as a health exam that can be done in Taiwan but I’m wondering if:

1) I will be able to apply for my TARC using ONLY my mother’s ID card and household registration, since my dad is also an ROC citizen (with an existing ID number but no ID card).
Or will my dad need to go to Tainan to issue his ID card too?
His ID number is tied to New Taipei but we don’t have anyone there who can help provide household registration, would it be possible from a legal perspective to register him in our Tainan relative’s household (relatives from my mom’s side of the family)?

I have read a thread about only one of the parents being an ROC citizen but couldn’t find anything on applying for TARC when both parents are ROC citizens.

2) Would my parents need to register their marriage in Taiwan for me to apply for my TARC?
They grew up in, met and registered their marriage in Brazil. The Brazilian marriage certificate was already translated to Chinese and is currently being authenticated by the TECO in Brazil.

3) Also, is there any possible way I could check this information myself while being physically in Brazil (other than the TECO)? Is there a number in Taiwan I could call?
I have asked for my Tainan relative’s help but I am trying to not be too much of a burden as they’re an elderly couple whom I’m not extremely close to. I would like to avoid troubling them too much…(I guess that’s very Asian of me :P)

Thanks in advance for the input :slight_smile:

I’d call the National Immigration Agency. Do you read Chinese? There’s related info here (they have an English page as well on the English site)

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=32596&CtUnit=16735&BaseDSD=111&mp=1

Related English page: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090223&ctNode=30085&mp=2

Their phone number is 886-2-2388-9393. I would expect that they would be able to give you a definitive answer, especially if you speak Chinese.

I do speak Chinese fluently and read simplified Chinese well (shameful I know, especially since I’m considering ROC citizenship haha), I am working on brushing up on my traditional Chinese :slight_smile: I’ll look at the NIA site and try calling them if I don’t manage to obtain the necessary info.

Thanks a lot tempogain :slight_smile:

Following up with information on this should it be useful for anyone out there.

1&2) If both parents are ROC citizens (have existing Taiwan ID numbers in the system even without ever owning a physical ID) it IS possible to apply for the TARC using only one of the parent’s ID (though the original ID must be presented at the NIA with the rest of the application).

Prior to that my parents had to register their marriage in Taiwan first. For this, one of the parents must be physically present at the HRO (Household Registration Office) of your district and hand in the legally translated and TECO authenticated translation of the wedding certificate from your home country (I had done this in my home country prior to arriving in Taiwan). If you have all the necessary documents prepared, the marriage registration at the HRO comes out almost instantly. My mom arrived in the morning at the HRO, registered her marriage and reactivated her “HuJi 戶籍” and was out with all documents in hand (HuJiTengBen 戶籍藤本 and HuKouMingBu 戶口名簿 which shows her marriage to my dad, as well her Taiwan ID) before lunch.

1. Prior to arriving in Taiwan I had managed to call and inquire about specific documents and procedures at both the National Immigration Agency (NIA) as well as the Household Registration Office (HRO). I had to choose the relevant HRO district where our family friend had property though and there was a specific person at the HRO who was fully up to date as to how this process worked. For Taipei city I managed to find a lot of HRO office phone numbers through Google Maps.

Hope this helps any fellow TARCers in the same process :slight_smile:

So you’ve got a TARC now? What are you planning to do for the next 1 - 2 years? Study Chinese? Work? And if work, did you apply also have to apply for an open work permit?

If the objective is to obtain Taiwanese citizenship, within my understanding it doesn’t matter what a TARC holder does during the 1-2 year wait period, as long as they reside in Taiwan for the required timeframe.

Studying is an option and for work, a work permit is necessary, yes. As you observed the work permit is open/not tied to any employers. In Taipei I know that it can be applied for at the Ministry of Labor 勞動部 (in person or through mail) and the process time for either option is of twelve days.