Bread that is not sweet

Hi,
I haven’t been able to eat any sandwich since I came to Taiwan, since all the bread I have tried here is usually sweet… So, I wonder if anyone knows where can I get a bread that is not sweet and can be eaten with cheese, etc.

Thank you!!

First of all, you need real bread, not the bland chemical concoction that bakers in Taiwan are tested on to get a license.

We have a long thread about bread. You can find artisan bakers, European bakeries, no gluten bakers, etc the choice is infinite. As long as you remember there is a choice and get out of 711 / Wellcome fare.

Please let us know which area you live in for further suggestions. I prefer On a German Bakeries but they may not be in your area, for example.

Have you tried to bake your own. We do it in our house to make sandwiches for cheese and meat like prosciutto. It’s actually pretty easy to do.

1 Like

I wish I could, but I don’t have a kitchen haha :sob:

I guess what kind of bread and what’s your main use. I know you said cheese. But is it Italian style sandwiches, French baguettes, German style bread? Regular white loaf more American style?

Thank you for your help! I live in Songjiang Nanjing

I was searching for regular white bread that is usually used for toast

Have you considered a bread machine?

Hmmm that area is mostly offices and business. I am not familiar with it. Eh can someone give an opinion on the bakery at Brother’s Hotel? Or anything down Sonjiang?

I didn’t even know something like a bread machine actually exists, maybe I’ll consider that as my last choice if I don’t find anything else haha. Thank you :blush:

4000 to 8000 NTD up, the size of a blender or beater. Just pour mix and wait for baked bread the other end.

2 Likes

i enjoy bread when im back home. here its not happening, not worth the effort. kinda like how back home i don’t really go out for asian food either. setting yourself up for disappointment.

2 Likes

Yeah, the bread here is not the same. To me it is way too soft, way too sweet, and almost always stuffed with something. I am not saying it is bad. It fits local tastes, and that is fine and overall, it is not really that bad. Point being, do not expect you are getting the bread you are used to. Most of the bread in bakeries is catered to sell, and bread that westerners are used to is hard to find. Even the “Euro-style” bakeries “go local.”

AS mentioned above, either learn to like what you get, make your own, or go without.

Word of warning. If you get a bread machine, do not get local flour. Splurge and get the stuff from Jason’s or City Super. There use to be a Bob’s Red Mill brand in 5lb bag at CS. It cost NT$500 IIRC.

That said, it may be worth mentioning that a Taiwanese baker won a baking prize over the French. I have been to his shop in Kaohsiung and for the life of me, and all I can say is, I do not get it.

3 Likes

Check out the other thread linked by Icon.

In your general area of Taipei there are options for outstanding bread. One that knocks my socks off is the somewhat misleadingly named Cake Shop on the ground floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Yes they have cakes but they also have various breads. The Mandarin is a very expensive hotel with very expensive restaurants–but with surprisingly reasonably prices for the various breads in their bakery. Have a look and see what you think.

If you want real sandwiches, you can also do search on this site. You’ll find various suggestions there too.

Guy

2 Likes

Incredible! This is the type of question one would get here 20 years ago.

There is normal bread all over this island now. I have no problem getting good bread.

Pop into Carrefour, they’ll hook you up

1 Like

Bob’s red mill brand is pretty shite compared to flour we use in Europe. But it’s still way better than generic flours here!

1 Like

You don’t need a kitchen, buy a simple bread maker such as Kaiser brand for about 3,000 and you are ready to get started. Even a simple home made white bread will be better than what you buy at the average store (no sugar, no junk oil, no additives)

1 Like

For sliced sandwich bread, a bread machine is probably going to give you better results than any sandwich bread I’ve bought in Taiwan. I’ve been using one for years now.

Many, many places, including Yamasaki or however it’s spelled, have decent baguettes. Most Carrefours have a reasonable selection of non-sweet bread. Avoid the shiny stuff. I used to enjoy Carrefour’s ciabatta, but I haven’t seen those lately - they disappeared from Danshui perhaps a year ago, and lately I haven’t seen them in the Tianmu branch either.

1 Like

Carrefour French bakery is great

1 Like

I think the Carrefour baguettes are inedible. Milkhouse does reasonable baguettes.

I like the baguettes and the Ciabatta

1 Like