British Guy & Taiwanese Girl - Which Country to Live/Work in?

So she’s only 14 then! Not good! :unamused:[/quote]

The cynical reality is that you are either going to move to Taiwan and teach English or you are going to break up. Sorry pal, but you don’t qualify for option one. Go and have a nice holiday with her, meet the folks (if you are public knowledge) and have a ball. Then go home and find a girl who won’t expect you to move halfway round the world and do a shitty job just so she can keep going to Mitsukoshi.

The plain fact is that for some Taiwanese girls the romance of having a foreign boyfriend is great, but once ‘push comes to shove’: either you push your stuff in a suitcase and move to Taiwan or she will give you the shove.

Only you can know your relationship, but plenty of us will be able to take pretty firm bets on how your story ends. Sorry mate. :frowning:

Just seen your next post: It all sounds NFT = Normal For Taiwan. Asian girls have different relationship expectations from Western girls. You need to ask yourself at this point: I want it casual, she doesn’t. What is the most fair way forwards for both myself and for this girl?

If we do break up i dont want to fly all the way to Taiwan to do it. Besides the cost, i will end up having a shit time on my own for another 15 days after

I’m going to see if i can persuade her to think about moving to the UK. At the end of the day i have a better job than her and more prospects for “Providing for the family” here than i ever would in Taiwan

[quote=“stickyfingers85”]If we do break up I don’t want to fly all the way to Taiwan to do it. Besides the cost, i will end up having a shit time on my own for another 15 days after

I’m going to see if i can persuade her to think about moving to the UK. At the end of the day I have a better job than her and more prospects for “Providing for the family” here than i ever would in Taiwan[/quote]

Well you don’t break up until the last day, dummy. :smiley:

Persuading a 24 year old girl, you met twice, to abandon her life for you will be hard no matter what cultures you are both from. Why would a 24 year old girl uproot herself from her comfortable life to stuggle overseas, when you could equally do that instead? One of you has to make the ultimate sacrifice, and your desire for it to be her shouldn’t trump her desire for it to be you. If you are saying that you’d be willing to move only on the proviso that she shows a willingness to move then you need to think about what that means. If you are willing to move no matter what, then jump on that plane. It seems you are holding your cards, she is holding hers, and you are waiting for her to fold. She ain’t gonna fold mate, as she is holding the best/most powerful card of all. The vagina card.

Basically you don’t wanna give up your life in the west and she doesn’t wanna give up her life in the east. Here is where the story ends.

[quote=“superking”][quote=“stickyfingers85”]If we do break up I don’t want to fly all the way to Taiwan to do it. Besides the cost, i will end up having a shit time on my own for another 15 days after

I’m going to see if i can persuade her to think about moving to the UK. At the end of the day I have a better job than her and more prospects for “Providing for the family” here than i ever would in Taiwan[/quote]

Well you don’t break up until the last day, dummy. :smiley:

Persuading a 24 year old girl, you met twice, to abandon her life for you will be hard no matter what cultures you are both from. Why would a 24 year old girl uproot herself from her comfortable life to stuggle overseas, when you could equally do that instead? One of you has to make the ultimate sacrifice, and your desire for it to be her shouldn’t trump her desire for it to be you. If you are saying that you’d be willing to move only on the proviso that she shows a willingness to move then you need to think about what that means. If you are willing to move no matter what, then jump on that plane. It seems you are holding your cards, she is holding hers, and you are waiting for her to fold. She ain’t gonna fold mate, as she is holding the best/most powerful card of all. The vagina card.

Basically you don’t wanna give up your life in the west and she doesn’t wanna give up her life in the east. Here is where the story ends.[/quote]

I totally agree here !!! I dont see enough commitment on either side or maturity. Right now you are just playing scenes from a romantic movie. Why not just enjoy it as it is. Play the roles, have fun, dont commit suicide and have great memories to look back upon.

Marriage is hard enough when both sides are 100pct into it but marriage this aint . But dont worry, you can still have a great bF/GF relationship even though Taiwanese girls always puts marriage as a possible right on the table right off, they are often the ones to run away . They dont mean it (marriage) even if they say it.

However, best if you are not her first love, those are hard to shake off. Then if you have to break up, make sure shes the one to do it (or she may take a flying leap off taipei 101) . Make her hate the thought of being with you.

Right now , sounds like you guys got a fantastic romance going that is perhaps something to remember for both of you when you are both older and with (other) partners?

Id go for it, talk the talk, walk the walk, since both of you are not thinking of marriage until 30s… ride that wave and EXPERIENCE life. Who said anyone is going to keep their promises right? Believe me , she is capable of dropping you like yesterdays news probably easier then for you to get over her. Shes got the charm, you dont . She could be practicing her man handling skills on you. Remember they are cunning sorceresses , these TW girls !

Hey, I understand this has been a while, I was just wondering how you got on in the end with your girlfriend? I am in a similar situation now, except I met my GF in Australia on a working holiday visa, spent about 14 months working and living with her, going to see her in Taiwan in 2 weeks. See how long I can stay there for, then maybe she can come to UK to see how she feels about it…

I think shes slightly more open to the move to the UK, but doesnt really want to leave her parents, but I agree with you, I believe its much easier for her to go to UK opposed to an average UK citizen with no degree and only basic language skills to head to Taiwan…

Just interested to see if it worked out between you guys, hope it did!!

Thanks, Mike.