Building a better church community

I have recently been seriously thinking about starting a new church here in Taipei. I think that I would like to try to create a fully bilingual (English/Chinese) church, which is designed to serve local Taiwanese, and to give them a different church experience than existing churches in Taiwan offer. Perhaps something more like a combination of New York’s Brooklyn Tabernacle, Redeemer Presbyterian, or Harlem Gospel, if that means anything to you. To do this I would need a group of Christians to help me, but I don’t want to recruit from my existing church (偷羊). I am not sure of what website to use to recruit people to do this work. I have tried using tealit’s language exchange boards, but they just delete my ads, and I understand. It’s not exactly language exchange, but it seems to me that a lot of people want a chance to practice their english, so a weekly fully bilingual environment might make sense for them.

FYI:

• I would prefer this to be more of a grassroots thing, so I’d prefer to not talk to some pastor of some big church or try to get a church to help me, although running ads in a Christian newspaper might be ok.
  • To me, a church is a group of people. I am not concerned with what building it meets at. I would expect the church to just meet at my house or at my friend’s church when they are not using it, until it gets big.
  • I have all of the training necessary to do this work. I just don’t know where to find people, without taking people needed by my existing church.
  • I want it to be focused on meeting the needs of non-Christians, where they enjoy themselves!
  • I would prefer younger people, like college or just graduated.

So, any ideas where or how to advertise, so I can build a team to do this?

I’m doing the same sort of project, except that instead of starting a new church, I’m starting a whole new religion. But it all boils down to marketing issues.

Focusing on young people will be great for your image, and they’re less brand-loyal and more easily swayed. Universities are a great place to troll for young followers.

You’ll get a better reception if you disguise the religious element at first. (“Bait and switch.”) Maybe have “front-stage” secular events (pop-culture stuff that people are genuinely interested in), and then invite people to “backstage” religious events (after screening them, of course).

Pay special attention to governance–you don’t want it to get TOO “grassroots,” if you know what I mean!

You’re right to go it alone (without big investors / parent churches). Never be assistant pastor–once you get market as “beta,” you’ll never be “alpha.”

You might also consider doing market research to determine what theology would be the easiest sell. Jesus may be a bit too “niche”, though–have you considered doing more of a Buddhist spin-off? That’s where most of the market is.

I love religion!

I’m interested; I’ve sent you a PM.