Breakfast. Lunch. Cafe

No. 131, Sec.2, Jianguo N. Rd. Taipei
台北市建國北路二段131號

Tel: 02-2515-0666
Email: butters.taipei [at] gmail.com

Open:
Mon - Sat, 7am - 9pm
Sun, 9am - 5pm

Some of you will remember Butter from this thread, when Matt, the co-owner, asked for ideas on decorating the place.
They’ve opened the cafe recently and I went to have a look.

The place is very nicely decorated, clean, warm and cozy. The food was very good, it was made fresh and it was inexpensive. I only had one meal so far, though, so this is not a final review, but I will definitely go back.

The impression I get from the owners is that they want to run a place where you can get good quality food at an affordable price and feel at home at the same time.

All in all, I’m very pleased with the place and the food, although I must reserve my final judgement until I’ve tried the cappuccino, which, as we all know, is the most important factor in reviewing a cafe :slight_smile:, next to free wi-fi, which I’m happy to say Butter has!

They’re also doggy-friendly, for those of you who like taking their pets with you for a Sunday brunch :slight_smile:

My only problem with the place is that’s it too far from my home, but for you motorized people, it’s very conveniently located on the main road, easy to find.

HOW TO FIND IT: It’s on Jianguo, corner with Jinzhou street. Between Minsheng and Minquan roads. There’s a 7-11 on the corner.
MRT-wise, the closest station is end of Muzha line, Zhongshan Jr. High-school station, then walk straight west from it, on Jinzhou, till you hit Jianguo. Here’s the MRT map: http://home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/ebig.asp?SID=008

Congratulations to Matt and Alan on this business venture and best of luck!

Got a map? Or what’s the closest intersection or landmark?

Good point, Rascal.

It’s on Jianguo, corner with Jinzhou street. Between Minsheng and Minquan roads. There’s a 7-11 on the corner.

MRT-wise, the closest station is end of Muzha line, Zhongshan Jr. High-school station, then walk straight west from it, on Jinzhou, till you hit Jianguo. Here’s the MRT map: http://home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/ebig.asp?SID=008

Thanks!

Hey tash just a question, what did you order and what kinda food was on the menu?? im eager to try out this place!

dlin,
It’s a bistro/diner/cafe type of place. I can’t remember the entire menu, but what I do know is that you can get sandwiches in many combinations of your choice, burgers, hot-dogs, fish&chips, egg-based breakfasts, etc.
Drinks are coffee/tea, sodas and a some beer.

I had a nice wholewheat tuna sandwich with the usual salad choices and a yummy home-made potato salad! The set came with a decent portion of chips and a drink for 85nt (there was something re-fillable about the drink, but I don’t remember exactly what)

85 NT?! wow i really have to check this place out!

Is that a typo? Are you serious? My lord, that’s incredibly cheap.

Is that a typo? Are you serious? My lord, that’s incredibly cheap.[/quote]
Ha, ha! No typo.
I TOLD Matt people would have this reaction!

I had one more (different) drink and then in the end I paid 100nt.

Something tells me this place is going to get those people who are getting tired of waiting for a table at the diner.

Thanks for the review Tash, I’d like to go soon.

Ooh! I just realized that I can take that route on my way to work in the evening. I’ll be in there tomorrow for sure! Do they do takeout?

Is that a typo? Are you serious? My lord, that’s incredibly cheap.[/quote]
Ha, ha! No typo.
I TOLD Matt people would have this reaction!

I had one more (different) drink and then in the end I paid 100nt.[/quote]

:astonished: :noway: How can the owners make a profit out of that?!

Hey all,

Encouraging to hear some discussion about the place :smiley:

We are just starting up and yes… what Tash said was true. I must explain however that during our first few days we were giving out 20% discounts and the prices on the menu are cheap to let people try out our food. Next week a new menu will be in use, with more choices (after our experiences, feedback and rethinks during this week) and slightly higher prices (ie.no more than 10-35nt). For example our Butters Burger Combo - Burger with homemade beef pattie w/ tomato/lettuce/onion/mayo/ketchup, fries and a drink will be 130nt. This week it’s 95nt.
I hope that addresses your concern for our financial situation, Yellow Cartman :smiley:

We have salads and espresso, Heineken, Taiwan Beer and Erdinger.

In the weekends we will be doing the omelette/french toast/big breakfast kind of deal, and also after next week it’ll be 2 for 1 on the beers 5-7pm.

As the food is made fresh don’t expect an in and out visit for takeout, however we have a lovely couch and coffee table up front for you to relax during the short wait.
If you want to call ahead you can - 02 2515 0666.

Another thing I should mention is that the dining area is kind of small… we have 3 tables of 3 chairs each, 1 table where 5-6 can sit and the lounge area in the front can sit 3-4.

We want to make the place somewhere you can come to relax a bit and not feel in a rush. Our lunchtimes can get kind of hectic at times but nothing we can’t handle just yet :smiley:

Thanks for your interest and hope to see you soon.

PS: Mention you read this post and we shall award you with a 10% discount! hows that for shamelessness.

Cheers,

Matt/Alan

I had lunch here the other day and it was fantastic! I ordered the chicken burger combo which came with fries and a drink. The kids gobbled up the fries with a very enthusiastic “yum mommy” and the burger was also nice. We ordered an omlette as well and you can choose which ingredients you want.

We went with a friend, our two dogs and two kids and all were welcome. It is a bit small though so I could only bring the whole crew during off times but that suits me well.

The owners were also very friendly and chatty and the atmosphere was very pleasent.

We will be back, often.

Do you have veggie selections?

Yes of course. We have salads, including potato salad, omelette with spinach, vege burger etc.

Checked out this new place yesterday for brunch and was very pleased. It is very cozy, (about half the size of most 7-11’s), with very nice, modern decoration. This place seems made for relaxation and the lounge music that was playing while I was there was perfect for it. Alan and Matt, the owners are very friendly, nice guys.

The menu now is basically burgers, sandwiches and omelettes with various sides. They had specials running on Sunday and I took the omelette (choose your own ingredients) that came with toast, hash brown patty, potato salad, orange juice and coffee for a grand total of NT$130 (plus a special discount, for grand opening I guess). It is a great deal. Order a la cart and everything is still very reasonable. The coffee from their imported espresso machine was exceptionally good.

They are just getting started so there are bound to be some hiccups. The omelette I ordered arrived quite underdone and runny inside but once I pointed this out it was whisked away with apologies and a new one came out in its place that was nice and fluffy. The service is very good; quick and friendly but not hovering. They also have a good collection of English newspapers and magazines.

The Diner they ain’t but they are not trying to be. They have a nice basic menu and great atmosphere, much more of a lazy Sunday brunch place than the Diner, which tends to be more like a chaotic college dining hall to me. This is a very nice addition to breakfast/lunch places in Taipei. Good luck to Alan and Matt, this place looks like a winner.

Went there for their Sunday brunch this morning. It was as good as everyone said. When I went up to pay the bill, Alan asked me where I learned about their place. I said, Forumosa. Got my change and left the store. A few seconds later, Alan ran out the door chasing after me and handed me some more change, saying Matt had just reminded him that Forumosans got a 10% discount.

Don’t know how long the discount offer will last. My advice is, go soon!

Thanks Matt ‘n’ Alan for a very satisfying meal. Keep up the good work!

Went looking for it, but couldn’t find it. Maybe missed the 7-11 somewhere… Try again this week.

I was all set for a burger at Butter today (Friday, April 6), but when I got there at about 11:55 a.m., I was disappointed to see that it was closed.

The hours posted said that Butter is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., but I guess it must have been closed because of the holidays (?).

Oh, well. I ended up going to the NY Bagel near Yitong Park for lunch, instead. NY Bagel was open and packed, btw.