Butterflies and Moths in Taiwan

Our in-house caterpillar has gone missing from its host plant after 9 days. This seems about chrysalis time, but is it common for a caterpillar to crawl away from its host plant to set up the cocoon? The only other thing I can think of is that a house gecko took him, but our inside geckos are pretty small compared to how big this guy had got.

Daughter is quite unhappy.

Anyone recognise the species? Originally found in sparse wild riverbank vegetation, sandy soil.

[quote=ā€œNuitā€]Our in-house caterpillar has gone missing from its host plant after 9 days. This seems about chrysalis time, but is it common for a caterpillar to crawl away from its host plant to set up the cocoon? The only other thing I can think of is that a house gecko took him, but our inside geckos are pretty small compared to how big this guy had got.

Daughter is quite unhappy.

Anyone recognise the species? Originally found in sparse wild riverbank vegetation, sandy soil.

[/quote]

I had several home caterpillars go missing in recent years, despite keeping them in a closed glass box. They always seem to find a crack to get out. Some were eaten by ants or flies while in the cocoon. Some never make it to the cocoon stage. They eat and eat and just die. Love to watch caterpillars. :sunglasses:

Taroko.

Detail. I like the fur and the false pupils. :sunglasses:

From near Donghe (ę±ę²³), just north of Taitung.

Nice, especially the last one.

Found him from this site, http://gaga.biodiv.tw/new23/cp04_51.htm, which depicts many (all?) of Taiwanā€™s caterpillars.

Heā€™s a moth, Asota plana lacteata

Spotted today near Shifen.

Saw this beauty today

Couple of recent caterpillars. Top one is very common, bottom one has nice markings and Iā€™d not seen it before. Orange is from the waste-bin it was crawling over.

[quote=ā€œthesublimenakedfairyā€]Saw this beauty today
[/quote]

Wow!

Saw this little butterfly yesterday at Mt. Wufen.

Looks like Spindasis syama, Chinese name is literally ā€œThree Spot Tiger Spindasisā€, although spindasis look very similar from this side, so I canā€™t be sure. It has an amazing blue color on the other side of its wings.

Yep, I think thatā€™s the one. The inside and outside looks like really different.

Hereā€™s a moth hanging out at the camp ground of Fushoushan Farm. Had a wing span of about 20 cm.

Wow! Gorgeous.

Loepa mirandula (å¤§é»ƒč±¹å¤©č ¶č›¾), this one was just named in 2000, great find.

Wasnā€™t really difficult to spot, a huge white-yellow spot on a dark tree, on a busy camping ground. Any passerby could see it (except for those looking at their smartphones) :discodance:

Oh, their caterpillars are uglyā€¦

http://blog.xuite.net/mbbrgs/twblog1/137796639-é»ƒč±¹å¤©č ¶č›¾+Loepa+formosensis+Mell,1938

that looks like a coral.

[quote=ā€œthesublimenakedfairyā€]Saw this beauty today
[/quote]

Papilio bianor?

Papilio krishna?

maybe even papilio okinawaensis?

gorgeous, whichever one it is. Whatā€™s in a name?

1 Like

[quote=ā€œurodacusā€]

Papilio bianor?

Papilio krishna?

maybe even papilio okinawaensis?

gorgeous, whichever one it is. Whatā€™s in a name?[/quote]

Papilio gorgeoso

Saw this moth near Shulin yesterday. Looked like dead, but was very alive when I touched it.