Butterflies and Moths in Taiwan

[quote=“hannes”]

Saw this moth near Shulin yesterday. Looked like dead, but was very alive when I touched it.[/quote]

Well, it’s probably a moth of the Uraniidae family…

Yeah, maybe Epiplemiine?

Yeah, maybe Epiplemiine?[/quote]

yeah, but there are so many of them, and they all look pretty similar. The most unique feature of the one your camera captured are the two dots on the wing… Couldn’t find anyone that looks just like it.

Saw this beauty just outside Shenkeng. It stopped moving while we were watching it, maybe trying to avoid attention or pretending to be dead.

[quote=“Petrichor”]Saw this beauty just outside Shenkeng. It stopped moving while we were watching it, maybe trying to avoid attention or pretending to be dead.

[/quote]

that’s a very Shakespearean death pose.

I love these super colorful tiny moth caterpillars (poisonous?). Seen today on a busy walking trail in Taoyuan.

Guess–anything that bright has to be poisonous.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Petrichor”]Saw this beauty just outside Shenkeng. It stopped moving while we were watching it, maybe trying to avoid attention or pretending to be dead.

[/quote]

that’s a very Shakespearean death pose.[/quote]

Yes, that caterpillar was such a ham.

These were taken at Teapot Mountain next to the Gold Ecological Park.

1 Like

nice collection.i love these small creatures.

From our front garden today, perfect snake mimicry. Daughter spotted it first :thumbsup:.
Also, the cocoon (not pictured) is a spitting-image of a curled up dried leaf. Astonishing.

Moth. Ok, not Taiwan - Mie Province, Japan.

But still nice :slight_smile:.

[quote=“Nuit”]From our front garden today, perfect snake mimicry. Daughter spotted it first :thumbsup:.
Also, the cocoon (not pictured) is a spitting-image of a curled up dried leaf. Astonishing.

[/quote]

Sounds cool, but links don’t seem to work

Went to a school outside Beipu this weekend. Tons of butterflies, chrysalis and caterpillars. School is ‘famous’ for its butterflies and even has a greenhouse and loads of information to study and protect them. Pretty cool.

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]Went to a school outside Beipu this weekend. Tons of butterflies, chrysalis and caterpillars. School is ‘famous’ for its butterflies and even has a greenhouse and loads of information to study and protect them. Pretty cool.

[/quote]

I’m quite concerned about the health of the winged insect population here. I garden without insecticides on a balcony, so each spring, I manually remove caterpillars from my scores of plants. Four or five years ago I was removing 10-20 caterpillars a day. It has been dropping dramatically. Last year it was nearly zero for the whole season. that’s a drop of about 1300 to about 6. This year it is zero, absolutely zero, and there are very few butterflies hovering about the plants. Very few bees and wasps too, almost nil. Something is very, very wrong.

Saw this moth today in the entrance to my apartment building in Muzha. Never seen anything like it before. Sorry for the poor quality. Only had my phone on me.

I saw one of those once in Yangmingshan. I may have even posted the pic earlier in this thread, on the second page, but those picture are not displaying for me so I can’t tell.

A friend said she saw some at the Taipei botanical garden a couple of weeks ago. I wonder why they are?

Let’s revive this thread.

Saw this moth yesterday. It’s small and insignificant, but I like it anyway. :slight_smile:

Continental great Mormon:

2 Likes