Buy or Rent in Taipei? Need Advice!

Real estate fee to buy is 1%. Not sure about to sell. probably higher.

I need to decide between Roth IRA and house; wish I could do both.

You would be extremely fortunate to get average return of 7 per cent per year over 25 years.

This is very unlikely in stocks or property. If it was that easy nobody would buy bonds.

Now the stock market has completely blasted up over the last 10 years in America but it won’t always be like that.

Edit - Buffet says it should be like this. Maybe the US is special, I don’t know. It does depend when you start and when you end like everything . If you need the money you will have to cash out.

Well i honestly believe what we saw in State for the last 50 years was actually short term statistic period. America came from war as huge victory. They had like 50 % of world GDP back then. Way ahead of anyone else in technology and modern business approach. Half of world had hard communism type of North Korea having today. American corporation massively capitalize from globalization. Is different world now. Is bipolar, many countries have great technology, they have their own corporations, enough capital, world is just way less dominant by americans. Hardly expect same growth again. I see other markets more profitable, although with higher risk

Personally, and this is not a professional financial advise, i feel like vietnam is great place to buy an apartment for investment. They open market to foreigners. Yes, you can legally own apartment there as foreigner. For 100k usd can get great deal, nice areas with a lot of potential.Forecast for vietnam is like 5 - 7 of gdp growth for new 20 years. They are similar folks as chinese, and probably a lot of capital from china will move to south east asia.
In taiwan, some districts of kaohsiung must be a hot now, when winbond and tsmc investing heavily there, each 10 billions of usd. How many “high” paid engineering jobs will be created/moved there? Enough folks to push up prices.

1 Like

I agree wirh the Vietnam advice (da nang city.you can get some good deals) just that TSMC is investing in Tainan not Kaohsiung I believe .

Malaysia isn’t bad especially as the ringit devalued a lot but KL is not particularly cheap. You can get a residence visa with some investments . Even Bangkok is probably a good bet as the city is improving its infrastructure a lot.
The Chinese are already.everywhere in Bangkok and Malaysia buying apartments.

But Vietnam offers the best value for money. It’s basically like Taiwan 20 to 30 years ago and those guys work hard.

As for tech dominance China is working hard at developing alternatives in every industry and while I don’t believe they’ll surpass the Americans anytime soon the Chinese stock market is actually probably a good place to invest (through Hong Kong so you can get your money in and out more easily).

If you have the money and the time is right for you, buy.

I hear different numbers all the time, but 7% is the one I hear the most. I also guess it depends on how much risk you can take.

Haha she already has my credit card. I already made sure my name will be on the deed. And we’ll be back in the states eventually. Hopefully…

It’s so true. People have been saying the prices will drop for years and years and it never happens and then they get priced out. Or maybe it’s finally going to happen. Who knows. But at least you have a firm grasp on the local mentality.

I plan to stay here maximum 10 years, maybe less. I’m not sure we can afford to send our kids to international schools and I don’t want them to be in the public schools too long. Keep hearing things I don’t like.

What do you do for work? What kind of jobs were people offering you? I don’t know if there are a ton of opportunities for me here actually. I work in advertising and the market is much smaller here than anywhere else in the region.

You understand it doesn’t matter if your name is on the deed? It is not the same game here. Get a lawyer to explain to you the intricacies.

1 Like

The prices have dropped for three years already.

That doesn’t mean we know exactly what will happen in the future, but they haven’t been going up for years.

They’ve been going down for years! (albeit after a long run up).

The biggest concern is what you have noted already, ability to find a well paid job at the peak of your earning potential age wise.
I’ve been well paid, unemployment, well paid here and it’s been peaks and troughs. The triugh is really due to the lack of opportunities for good salaried positions in Taiwan.

However if you purchase a house here you can always rent it out if you need to move.

Wasn’t aware Vietnam opened to foreigners now to own. Is this pretty recent? Ho Chi Min District 8 looks nicer than most parts of Taipei

I don’t have time to hire a lawyer. Are you absolutely certain if my name is on the deed I won’t own the house? Just because I’m not Taiwanese?

Doesn’t matter if you own the house if you are married then its a different ball game. Would need to talk to a lawyer.

If you do not have time to hire a lawyer you do not have time to engage in due duiligence regarding buying a house here. Pleas echeck previous threads or loxcal newspapers if you do not believe us. Your home could be built with beach sand, radiactive steel, or heaven knows what. You cannot trust that as a new place it won’t have any problems. And no, you cannot trust your wife. If you leave the purchase to the inlaws you will regret it dearly.

1 Like

The prices have been dropping who’s telling you they’re rising and why? Every Taiwanese TV, News Article says they’re dropping and have been for 1-2 yrs and going into great detail by city, by district by building how much they are dropping year by year. There should be no one at this point claiming the prices are going up unless they have some ulterior motive. The beginning of the drop started with the Govt creating a Tax for people profiting off the sale of second homes this started a couple years ago. This is the very reason why you can even cut deals of 12m for a 15m place. So many landlords are giving out deals similar to this. A local real estate show says now 30% cuts off the top are common and should be mandatory for any buyer in the 2017 market per the Youtube News show of Taiwan Real Estate I clipped above.

Taipei has dropped the most followed by New Taipei City which is considered way overpriced still then Taoyuan. Prices have dropped to 2012 prices which is roughly 20-30% of the peak prices This means the houses are still overpriced by definitely cheaper than compared to 2014.

Moreover, due to collusion,scams, tragic attacks and other not so pleasant situations, most building companies have given up on their planned proyects. Too expensive and not enough earnings.

Speaking of expensive housing, prices for apartments in this luxury eco-complex near Taipei 101 are going to start at NT$1 billion.

That’s about 33 million USD. Who lives in those things?

Laundry, cough cough…

They are just bullshit sales from developers to themselves .
Then when the prospects come in ’ big discount just for you…30 % off just 25 million USD’ lol.