Buying a second hand DSLR

I’m in the market for a used, older mid-range DSLR kit- something similar to Canon 60D. 70D, if some super bargain.

My budget is about 20000NTD, so not much wiggle room here - however back in Europe it would be possible via ebay - given enough time and luck.

I was wondering if there are any decent, trustworthy second hand shops around Northern TW. Alternatively, what are the online options?

Facebook pages are the best, you can easily find a 60D for 10/12NT

Edit: look for Canon fans market on facebook, there are a few groups for second hand gear. Most people are in Taipei. There are groups for other brands as well but I’m not familiar with them.

ri-edit: 700D brand new in stores was selling for 10500 before being replaced by the 800d, imported model, so you may consider that as well if you can find some in stock.

Sorry to say that lower end 2nd hand cameras do tend to be a tad overpriced, unless you’re getting several lenses at the same time. Also, check the shutter # if you can, … and look for signs of having been dropped, esp. lenses. On the whole, unless you’re getting a great (?) deal or buying from someone you kinda know, it might be better to look for a new model, that comes with a warranty of some sort.

Fb groups sound interesting but the problem is, I don’t have an account there.

The uncertainty about the state is also a problem, sure…on ebay, if you buy from people with decent feedback it’s usually safe, plus you can ask detailed questions that go on record.

Is there no “Taiwanese ebay” of sorts? Just yahoo thingy?
Also, I heard that the warranty for new ones here only applies to Taiwan, it’s not international. And I’m not sure how long I’m gonna stay.

There’s Ruten, but you might as well sign up for an FB account. Less of a hassle.

And the 800D with kit lens is going for 20,000 on the gray market.

Well, I resisted fb for so long, don’t think I will cave in now…

What’s a gray market? Camera Street folk dealing under the table sort of thing?

Imported, usually from Hong Kong or Japan. Only 1 year warranty, but much cheaper.

There is this place in Taipei.

1 Like

Sounds interesting…is it a second hand shop or new stuff?

This is a online market for used gear: http://market.dcview.com

1 Like

That’s a good shout…thanks. Annoyingly though, majority of the stuff on offer in Canon section are either lenses or the xD line. Not a whiff of a 60 or 70D. I will keep my tabs on that page though.

You might also try taking a look at this site:

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/【紐約3C】Canon-EOS-70D-單機身-二手相機-單眼相機-快-100403901302

1 Like

It’s a second hand shop. Body, lenses, etc.

This shop is quite awesome. Lots of used gear, they seem trustworthy too. You get 1 month warranty too. They have a website: http://www.pk3c.com.tw/

I got Canon 60D body from them (about 10000 shutter ct) for 9,500$. Then bargained for a 18-55 white box Kit lens at one of Hankou St shops - 3000$. I still miss the crazy choice and prices of UK’s ebay, but this is not too bad. Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

I went there yesterday with a friend and it’s pretty legit. They have a pretty nice selection and also offer free water. I wasn’t the one shopping, but was happy to see the free water!

Does their website have everything on stock or just a small sample?