Buying from Amazon

You’ll have to do it each time.

Has anyone successfully delivered a package to themselves in Taipei via Amazon lately? I’m just a student here for a little while, but would like to get some stuff here if possible. Now there’s no way for me to add my address to Amazon, as the ID Number form slot refuses to let me leave it blank, and does not accept my passport # nor my Record of ID # used with e.g. banks, giving me the error:
“Please enter 10 characters for ID Number. It consists of one letter and nine-digits”

Why do you need to input your ID number?

Just change your mailing address to Taiwan and keep your billing address for your credit card the same from overseas.

Ah you’re right, I was being silly and included “da’an district” in address line 2, which it didn’t like. Also left the State/region/province line blank another time. Ironically, customer chat support wasn’t able to enter it in properly as well, ha. Thanks!

I buy certain stuff I can’t buy here on amazon every few months when I finish them. No issues.

I had similar problems getting Xmas gifts, my billing address is in Taiwan though, and it wouldn’t accept the’OC’ number on my APRC, ended up needing my wife to buy the stuff.

I don’t need things that bad. Still single.

Wait… @Andrew0409 isn’t your billing address in Taiwan too? How do you get around this?

I don’t understand the ID number problem you guys are having on Amazon.
I order from Amazon all of the time and have never had this issue.

Put items in cart.
Check out.
Select my address for both shipping and billing.
Submit.
Done.
A couple weeks later everything arrives just fine.

The sign up process could be different for those that sign up using a Taiwan address is the idea I’m getting here. Is your billing address in Taiwan?

All of my addresses are in Taiwan.
My credit cards are from Taiwanese banks.
Zero issues.

Now that’s interesting.

I’m still using a US billing address for my credit card since friends/family are always coming and going from the states. I save the issue of possibly getting slapped with that import tax.

joint bank card from a US bank my family uses for this kind of situation.

I’m planning on ordering something from US, not via Amazon, and it’ll cost $600usd. Will I be slapped with import tax?

Depends. Nobody can say for sure.
To lower the chance, you can do the following:

1. Don’t use DHL, FEDEX or other commercial shipping companies.
  2. Send it via normal airmail.
  3. Label it as a gift.
  4. Declare the value lower than it is.
3 Likes

Quick thought: the ID requirements could be because Amazon is mistaking Taiwan for China, which indeed seems to have ID requirements for overseas purchases. I’ve never given my ID for buying something from overseas and honestly never would.