Buying new PC @ Guanghua/Cool PC

Hi chaps and chapettes,

Gonna head into Guanghua to purchase a new PC (first in over 10+ years!) to do some master race gaming. I’ve been using the Cool PC website (http://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php) to price things up and have a general idea of what I want, but I’m not super tech savvy. My mandarin ain’t so great either so if you guys can provide me with some answers first, I’ll feel a lot more at ease.

• The pricing provided on the websites in general, are they cash-only prices or can I pay by credit card?
  • Do they give full invoice that I can provide my company number to for reimbursement?
  • Are they generally in-and-out shops or can I ask them for genuine advice and spend some time talking to them?
  • Do they usually build your PC free of charge if you purchase all the components in one shop?
  • Do they usually include free shipping if buy a desktop/case?
  • Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Thank you all :).

1 Like

Cash only price.

Yes, they do! You don’t need to ask, they provide it.

Sometimes it will depend on the person behind the counter. I’ve bumped into a few that kind of…don’t care and just want to make the sale. Others have been a little more helpful.

What you can do is to hit up all the shops and try your luck. I would put money on the shop that’s least busy would be most helpful. I’ve noticed the shop directly across from the CoCo/Starbucks Syntrend building is the least busy.

I have bought a case from them (from the store) and have had to figure out my owns means of transportation. I wasn’t aware they did deliveries or online orders?

Some of the workers tend to put the warranty stickers in stupid places. I bought a keyboard from them and they wanted to put it on the top of the keyboard. I was like…seriously? There’s a whole bottom area where no one can see and it won’t get scratched.

Tell them where you want to put the warranty stickers.

Just a reminder that for invoicing and reimbursement-- you should ask someone/your boss if you need to put the tax id of your company or not. Your company’s intention is probably to use the invoice as an ‘expense’ so they can reduce the amount come tax season.

Of course in Taiwan normally every single store and restaurant will ask me if I want to put the tax id on the receipt/invoice.

Thanks for that @ranlee it’s good to know! I was more wanting stuff to be delivered after visiting the shop in person so I don’t have to carry it around myself.

I do have two more questions though if you don’t mind:

• Do you know if they will build the PC for you if you buy the components from the one shop?
  • I assume a full PC will take a few days to build (if they build it), or to source parts. Do I have to pay in full on the spot or just a deposit?

@best_intentions thank you for that, I will definitely need the company tax id on any invoice in order for it to be charged.

Thanks all!

I’ve always been pretty OCD about building a comp and have done it myself. If there’s a problem, I have myself to blame. If Coolpc built it and it has a problem, this means you gotta lug the tower all the way back to the store and have them check up on it.

If you plan on chatting with them about what parts to buy, you could always ask them if they charge for assembly.

You most likely pay in full for the parts and service. That’s my assumption, but if you’re already set on going there to buy it, might as well ask them all the above before you start telling their runners to go store to store to pick up your parts.

::EDIT::

Check this post written on their forum for more info. It’s a little outdated, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54409

If you buy all the parts from one store, and they have all the parts in stock, they will usually put it all together for you for no extra charge. They can even do it while you wait, but you may have to come back in an hour or two. There’s lots of restaurants nearby, so that gives you an excuse to go eat something or do some more window shopping.

Thank you all for your reply! Greatly appreciated.

Is the standard credit card surcharge 2%? It’s just a lot easier for me right now to charge on the plastic!

I seem to encounter 3% more.

I purchased PC components for gaming few months ago from Guanghua plaza myself. And I purchased it all from the Cool PC store. I found them the most price friendly compared to others. I usually call them up to ask about prices and stuff. My mandarin isn’t good either, so I usually ask for this sales girl called Vivienne. Her English isn’t excellent but good enough for you to get what you want.
After paying for the components, they asked me to head over to their assembly store, which is just across the street. There they assembled my rig and 'tws ready to go.

Thanks for your advice! Hope to go by this week and drop some money.

Where is this fabled cool pc store? is it in the main complex or the streets outside ?

They have several stores in fact.

I bought my 3060ti from them.

They have a store on the 2nd floor of guanhua, a store in bade rd, and another one across the street in the alley where all the restaurant is. They have other stores around the general area, so the one I listed is only the ones I know of.

They all wear the same goofy uniform.

This map shows all their locations.

1 Like

Anyone got recommendations for a PC for LIGHTROOM and PHOTOSHOP current versions? I’ve been so long out of the game, I’ve no idea what current technology is like. I have no intention of buying a MAC at the moment because my catalogs are on an external disk and Dropbox no longer connects on Apple to externals!

Thanks guys, went down there today. Didn’t have the PC I wanted so I went to an ASUS shop.

I’ll be going back tomorrow. It’ll be my third time this week. Ain’t easy when you know jack shit about PCs.
I wanted to buy a cool looking one, but add ram and other stuff, the guy said I could only do it on another model, the other model looked bog standard as hell. Turns out its a better model. But I didn’t know that at the time. So I’ll be going back tomorrow to confirm the sale.

The staff looked pretty stressed out by all my faffing about :joy:

If you are going for a desktop, you should build. Even if you don’t know what you initially want. They can build it for you on request.

What exactly do you want to do with your PC?

2 Likes

I told them the exact specs, I just wanted it in the cool looking PC. They had no problem giving me those specs in the other PC, it just looks drab in comparison.

Other options abound:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s 4 or 5 percent more at coolpc.

No worries, Mac being best for Photoshop only applied like 20 yrs ago. If anything, it’s the opposite now since Photoshop is gpu accelerated (power based on gfx card).

Get a nvidia 3080 gpu (which may be overkill, 3060 is fine), some meh i5 cpu (CPU these days is really only for video encoding and programming for compiling), 16gb ram (multitasking). 32gb ram if you open 100 Chrome tabs and Photoshop photos at once.

1 Like