Buying second hand bike in Taipei

Hello everybody,

My girlfriend and I will fly to Taipei in 10 days.
The plan is to buy two second hand bikes and ride down the eastcoast.
Where can we find second hand bikes (28’) in Taipei?
Any recomendations?
All topics about this in this forum are quiet old…
Thanks!!

You can find in this link.

The used market here for road bikes is not very easily accessible unless you know people. Not too many shops will have secondhand bikes sitting around either.

You’re better off renting. In that case:

You mean there a no used bike shops in Taipei?

Unfortunately, there’s no used bike shops in Taipei. There’s bike shops that may sell some used bikes, but not a specific shop that sells only used bikes.

Are you visiting for a few weeks or planning on staying and need a bike?

If you are just visiting, highly suggest you look into renting. The rental fees from Giant aren’t very expensive and you do not have to worry about selling the bike when you leave.

Check out this video for some more info Two Wheels Cruise just came by and made a pretty informative video about their east coast trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2ty2S9yA4

Thanks Ranlee! I am staying in Taiwan for a few weeks. The video looks great. I am really surprised there is not a used market especially if biking is so popular.

Chinese culture doesn’t place the same value on used items that westerners do.

There is a big used bike market, just not a physical market. You need to be able to read Chinese and be on Facebook.

There’s a second hand market, just not in any b&m store.

Taiwan second hand market is very similar to what it is in the states, a lot of local bike shops will sell second hand bikes that belong to their regulars, but they normally won’t have a huge selection.

As @liub said, there’s second hand GB groups, but you have to be able to read and understand Chinese.

Thanks everyone. I will just rent one from Giant.

1 Like

I was searching for the same a few weeks ago! Having recently landed in Taipei, enchanted by this country, and inspired to try my first cycling tour in a place I feel safe and happy to ride, this is what I found re: buying second hand bikes in Taipei:

I ultimately bought a second-hand bike from Mathew and May who run MathewBike, a local bike shop servicing around-the-island tours. Transparent pricing table on the site for rentals. Since my trip is open-ended and i didnt want to be constrained by a return date, I asked about buying a bike. Very small selection as its a small storefront, but everything in there is equipped to handle an island tour. I got a primavera road bike, all equipment included (rack, panniers, lock, helmet, lights) for $6500. Pretty close to their month-long rental price, so I feel happy with the price and I imagine I could sell it back to them or elsewhere (or just give it to them 'cause I’ve come to appreciate them so much!) Mathew tuned up and cleaned the bike, ensuring its fit for the journey ahead. Both of them are knowledgable about preparing bikes for this specific type of adventure. This, plus coming to befriend the pair and see them as wonderful souls furthering the bike scene in Taipei, and the bike being close enough to what I wanted, made me happy to buy from and support them. I plan to start cycling next week after some camping supplies arrive in the mail :slight_smile:

Facebook Group: Taiwan Bike Market

Pros: Some quality bikes and parts
Cons: Not geo specific to Taipei, listings from all Taiwan. Needle in a hay to get the specific build I want, especially because I am short and need a less common frame. I used the search function and made a post. Didnt find anything that fit me, YMMV.

I went to some local bike shops whenever I passed by them whilst walking around the city. Most were small and didnt have something in my size, much less secondhand, so nothing I’d recommend here.

Giant
At the Liv flagship store, which didnt carry used bikes, I was directed to another Giant location which may have secondhand bikes. I never went, as I found a bike I was happy with before then, though this could be another resource for someone:
No. 153-155, Section 1, Sichuan Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City, 220

2 Likes

Sounds like you got a good deal there. Hope you enjoy your tour. I’m sure many here would like to hear how it goes.

pictures for those arm-chair cyclists, too