Buying stuff outside of Taiwan and shipping it in?

Hi,

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of regularly buying stuff outside of Taiwan (from the States or wherever via the internet) and shipping it in? Clothes, books, DVDs, blow-up dolls, whatever.

I’m wondering if the only real limitation is money, or if there is something else. Ways to make it easier to do? Good methods of shipment?

Thanks,

Seeker4

If the place you’re buying from is willing to ship internationally, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem. I know books and DVDs arrive here just fine. Of course, shipping can be pricey.

you don’t pay shipping with www.yesasia.com

I ordered several books from Amazon.com; the shipping charge was steep but not overly so. I completed the ordering in early Feb, waited 2 months, nothing arrived, checked the credit card record (money had been taken out), contacted Amazon, got told to wait another month, did so - no books, called again, told to wait while they sorted it out, waited another month, called again, wait again, then in late June got an email and a full refund. The excuse - undeliverable. That’s it, no other explanation. Won’t be doing that again.
By the way I didn’t send it to my apartment, I knew it’d never get there what with all the lanes and alleys, so sent it to the office address, located on a main road. Never had a problem with friends and family stuff before, so I don’t know what could have happened.

[quote=“Steeevieboy”]you don’t pay shipping with www.yesasia.com[/quote]I think you do now.

Ask the supplier or retailer to ship by Global Priority Mail (USPS) if you’re ordering from the US and you shouldn’t have any trouble. I’ve received packages in as little as four days.

Yes and with US mail, you are much less likely to pay any sort of customs tax.

PO Boxes are a good option.

As for DVDs keep the amount per shipment small, one or two titles at most.

Rascal ,have you also had problems with missing DVD packages?

If you don’t call it a PO Box, you can usually get away with it. Try using “Box #”

Dang, I may just try that!

Seeker4, are you talking about regularly buying stuff for your own use, or is it for commercial use? I guess for the latter, other rules apply regarding duties or taxes or whatever … wouldn’t be able to give you specifics as I have no experience with this kind of business … maybe somebody else??

If it’s private, we’ve made very good experiences with ordering from amazon both from the US and europe, both have been delivering to our private address for the last probably 4 years regularly and without problems (a bit slower since moving to Taipei …). But, that’s only for books, DVDs and video tapes. We’ve tried ordering clothing, sporting goods and other apparel from the US, but always stumbled over the hurdle that most of these products are not shipped outside the US and its territories by normal on-line shopping sites. It’s worked from europe, but postage can become quite a cost-position … Good luck, Xpet.

Never had any problem ordering DVDs from Amazon in the UK. Usually get about a dozen or so at a time, and they usually arrive in about 10 days. I am lucky though as the security guards at my apartment complex will look after the package until I collect it.

Had a large order once opened by customs and was taxed for it, never had anything missing though.

Hello!

I’m looking at ordered products from a US company (products value of $300), though they ship from Singapore from what I understand with UPS.

Anyone know how much I would have to pay in customs?

Thanks

Depends on the product. Different customs categories have different duties.

It’s essential oils. I guess it would go under supplements… I read somewhere it was 30% tax on it as it would go under medicine?!

get a local to call customs for you. They can give you exact rate and cat.

I miss surface mail. I want to buy my son a Hess Truck. Amazon USA doesn’t ship to Taiwan. Amazon Japan does but the price of the item is really Jacked up! Are there any cheap shipping alternatives?

I really miss boat mail where I would ship a ton of books and toys overseas for very little money: Please give access to some reasonable priced shipping.