Bye bye Panama

[deleted]

[deleted]

Thank you afterspivak, I couldn’t find the news at both China Post nor Taipei Times, hence my move to inform friends here. Have a nice day.

Oldest friend, FTA signer…puff!

Taipei, June 13 (CNA) Panama, one of Taiwan’s allies in Central America, announced Tuesday that it has decided to switch diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing, effectively cutting off official ties that it has had with the Republic of China (now more commonly known as Taiwan) for more than a century.

The announcement was made by President Juan Carlos Varela on Monday evening in the Western Hemisphere.

Trump style, in a storm of tweets…

CNA: video https://goo.gl/t8Cg2I

So sad… I have to say though, most of Taiwan’s remaining allies have pretty good looking flags.

Was one of their more important ones…

All Evergreen investments in jeopardy, half of canal warehouses, loading docks and shipyards, the metro…this breakup is an economic catastrophe more than anything political. A nightmare for Taiwanese businesses in the region.

BTW, the numbers given to the “interest less” loans given from China in return to “Panama” -ehem, ehem- range from the plain ridiculous, ludicrous to WTH?!

Bottom line is that the Chinese are the main exporters and heaviest users of the Canal, so this whole business, as Varela stated, centers around the Canal.

The fact is that countries of significant economic or political substance have no choice but to befriend China. Painful realization but true.

Great.
No more free hats

Guy

I don’t see the relevance, Panama doesn’t bring any substantial economic benefit. The primary benefit of being on their good side is use of the Panama canal, since Taiwan’s navy is pretty laughable I doubt there will be much noticeable difference (ever). Most economic power houses don’t “completely cut ties” like Panama did, similar to the US - Saudi Arabia relations. At the end of the day, a buck is still a buck.

On topic of China VS Taiwan, against popular belief it is possible to be friendly towards both. You can have your cake and eat it too.

China is also building another canal,.Nicaragua was it?

Eh, Evergreen, among other Taiwanese shipping companies, have invested a lot of moeny, infraestructure, etc. in the Canal. Transportation is still big business for Taiwan, like, exports are our lifeline?

Aside from a nice pie in the sky to swindle investors, the ecological disaster would be … unthinkable. However, yes, it has been tried before -even before the Panama Canal- so they keep trying…

Moreover, the dry canal over Honduras or even Costa Rica would be even easier. Nevertheless, it depends on US giving the green light. As things go, probably sooner that we think. Now, if we can convince Trump to bring back the steam engines and power them by coal from US mines, we’d be in business. :cactus:

Good news - this will be a massive financial benefit for the ROC.

Eh, nope. It is a terrible loss. While you are thinking of what is saved in terms of diplomatic payoff is not even the bottom of what will be lost in terms of Taiwanese businesses, properties, investments… and unpaid loans.

We all know Panama was never going to pay them back anyway.

Taiwan wastes so much money on these third world countries. The unofficial relations with the US and Japan are the only ones that really matter.

i agree mostly , loss of Panama is a blow to esteem though. That was Taiwans oldest ally wasnt it.
The only one we cant lose is the US.

Guys, how many Taiwanese ships carry Panama flag of convenience?

1 Like

Icon,

In a number of your posts, you’ve mentioned the negative economic consequences for Taiwanese business and investments in Panama. You also alluded to the number of Taiwanese ships that were Panama flagged.

I admit I don’t know much about these types of situations, but I am interested in why the change in diplomatic recognition impacts private Taiwanese businesses. Did Panama indicate they plan to nationalize the the assets of all Taiwanese companies in Panama? I can see how Panama won’t repay its loans or other obligations to Taiwan’s govt, but am not following the impact on private business.