Bye bye Panama

Funny headline in the TT:

Just try to go on with your every day life when your ID is not valid, you have no commercial office or reprsentative to defend your interests and they cancel your work visa. That is for starters.

Problem is breakups are not like they use dto be. Now the “breaking” nation must kowtow in every imaginable way and demostrate its loyalty by bending as low as they can go. It does not help that in most of these places law application is option.

Tonight in the talk shows they jyst mentioned a detail I forgot: the investments that Mega Bank and like 12 other Taiwan banks have in Panama.

1 Like

Thanks, Icon. I recognize how not having a recognized ID or visa would become problematic for anyone. What I’m having a harder time following is why Panama’s derecognition of the ROC would lead to such problems as compared to previous derecognitions. To use an extreme, but common example, ROC derecognition in the US, Japan and Europe has not seemed to impact Taiwanese persons in the ways you seem to be concerned about.

From your prior posts, I seem to gather that unlike other ROC derecognition situations, Panama and Taiwan are not contemplating the establishment of non-embassy representative offices or passing statutes that would allow for quasi-recognition? If so, I would agree that such a situation would be different from prior ROC derecognitions and would essentially leave Taiwanese in Panama as stateless absent some coverage by the PRC (which clearly many Taiwanese don’t like).

But it is early days still. Perhaps given some time, after passions have cooled, Taiwan and Panama can come to kind of quasi-official relationship that would allow for ID recognition, visa status and other matters.

I guess the problem is in both sides. How about the Panamanians in Taiwan?

Well, the scholarship students may lose their scholarships, and Panama will tell the remaining ones they can go to China with better scholarships. Alas, from the Costa Ricans and Gambians experience -at least what I have heard of- is that none receive any scholarships to China -president’s daughter aside, that is.

And yes, not having embassy or even representative office here is a big problem. Tell me about it.

Look now that China is turning the screws, forcing ROC representative offices abroad to change their bnames. That is being nice. They can close them down if they want to.

Removal of the flag at ROC embassy in Panama. :sob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5MI4zvoSE

:persevere:

:cry: sad to see a old friendship end.

One more thing I had forgotten and that I just saw the Panamenians talking about: the fate of the Sun Yat Sen High School, the only bilingual Chinese/Spanish educational facility in the region. Guess who founded and provided the funds for it? Who provided the teachers?

I mean, there are German/Spanish schools, French/Spanish schools, British schools, Italian, Japanese, etc. Only one Chinese. There was optional Cantonese. Now where will Overseas compatriots and locals have access to this kind of education?

I think China would have no problem funding a school named after SYS, although they might simply change it to another Confucius institute.

It is a whole high school, big campus, like over a thousand students. Not something small like a Confucius Institute.

If they fork over the funds, problem is they will take over the land, buildings, etc. No free ride.

Sounds like the exact thing that happened to that Trindade high school in São Tomé and Príncipe.

I heard that it has also happened with several embassy buildings, which is why they turned to renting instead of buying them.