Can adults be adopted in Taiwan?

Out of interest can intercountry adoption of adults happen in Taiwan?
If so, one could find an adoptive family and as a result be able to live and work in Taiwan on a JFRV (joining family residence visa), as an alternative to finding a spouse.
Heck, you might even become a ROC national instantaneously.

Not sure if that would work… I thought the parents have to be biological parents. I think it’s mentioned in the forums that Taiwan operates by jus sanguinis.

I hope so, that way Puff Guo can adopt me. :wink:

This guy is adopted, naturalized and serve for ROC.
I believe [redacted] is his ID in this forum?

Civil Code Article 1079-2:

Where an adult is to be adopted, the court shall not approve the adoption if one of the following conditions is met:
(1) By performing the adoption there is an intent to waive legal duties;
(2) The adoption is proved to be unfavorable to the child’s natural parents; or
(3) Other grave reasons that are against the purpose of the adoption.

Regarding the Mr. Lin mentioned in the previous post, we can’t say x member of Forumosa is y person in real life without permission. :zipper_mouth: I don’t remember whether or not the member you mentioned has revealed his identity in the past.

Sorry for that. I recall he did introduce an autobiography of himself using that particular ID.
Anywho, yes, you can be adopted…
No, not by Puff Kuo… but maybe by a neighbor Ama/Akong…

It says adult and child within the same article. So which is it? Have you got the article in Chinese?

You can always get the Chinese version, though you can’t always get the English version.

第 1079-2 條
被收養者為成年人而有下列各款情形之一者,法院應不予收養之認可:
一、意圖以收養免除法定義務。
二、依其情形,足認收養於其本生父母不利。
三、有其他重大事由,足認違反收養目的。

The logical interpretation is that “child” means “adult child” here (and 其 refers to 被收養者, but that sounds so technical). We’re all children, after all… :baby:

So I wonder if legal adoption confers ROC nationality, or how that works, and what the process is. I wonder if the process involves the absolution of your former personhood.

In reality, for me in particular, it’s moot because I’m sure nobody would want to adopt me :grinning:
But this information, if it can be got, would greatly interest me and might be of use to somebody else somewhere down the line.

Wait, what? :hushed:

For some reason my conception of international adoption is that a child adoptee loses their status as children of their biological or foster parents/guardian(s), and along with that their former identity becomes void. If this isn’t just a misconception on my part, the same could be true of adult adoptees.

Oh, that kind of absolution. They talk about “suspension” in the Civil Code, but not erasure of the biological family’s existence.

Article 1077

The relationship between an adopted child and his adoptive parents and their relatives is the same as that between a legitimate child with his parents, unless otherwise provided by law.

The rights and duties between an adopted child and his/her natural parents and their relatives is suspended during the period of adoption, except where one party of the husband and the wife adopts the other party’s child, the other party’s rights and duties to the child is not affected by the adoption.

After adopting the child, if the adopter marries the adoptee’s natural father or mother, the adoptive child resumes his/her rights and duties to natural parents; except the right obtained by the third party is not affected.

Where the adoptive child has lineal relatives by blood at the time of adoption, the effect of the adoption is limited to his/her minor and non-married lineal relatives by blood; except where before the adoption, the adult or married lineal relatives by blood consents.

Consent provided by the preceding paragraph applies mutatis mutandis to the second and third paragraphs of Article 1076-1.

養子女與養父母及其親屬間之關係,除法律另有規定外,與婚生子女同。

**養子女與本生父母及其親屬間之權利義務,於收養關係存續中停止之。**但夫妻之一方收養他方之子女時,他方與其子女之權利義務,不因收養而受影響。

收養者收養子女後,與養子女之本生父或母結婚時,養子女回復與本生父或母及其親屬間之權利義務。但第三人已取得之權利,不受影響。

養子女於收養認可時已有直系血親卑親屬者,收養之效力僅及於其未成年且未結婚之直系血親卑親屬。但收養認可前,其已成年或已結婚之直系血親卑親屬表示同意者,不在此限。

前項同意,準用第一千零七十六條之一第二項及第三項之規定。

But the burning question I have is:
32 year old Johnny English is adopted by Taiwanese parents/parent and takes on ROC nationality and the Chinese name of Li Chen. Does his British passport become irrevocably invalid? Or does he retain the right to (resume) his British nationality and the ability to still be Johnny English while simultaneously enjoying the privilege of having a Chinese name and holding a ROC national ID card?

It raises an interesting point. Foreigners who choose to take a Chinese name when they obtain ROC nationality and have that name in their Taiwan passport and who may have the ability to resume their former citizenship or obtain another citizenship or who may already have a 3rd citizenship which they need not renounce, can end up with two legal names, a Chinese one and their other one. All you have to do is go back to your previous country and open a bank account in your Chinese name or even get a driver’s license in your Chinese name and on paper you are two people.
Two different driving records, two different credit files, two different passports, all in two names. But in reality, they both belong to one person. But the system will treat them as two different real individuals.

Taiwan’s adoption procedure is very strict, the Court has the last say. It seems to me that a case like this would most definitely be rejected by the Court as the only thing you want from this filialship (is that a word?) is a work permit (which seems way too much of a hassle to me).

That said, technically an adult can be adopted, as long as the adoptive parents are at least 20 years your senior and you are not wrongly related (I don’t know the word in English, basically it’s like you can’t adopt your cousins or grandchildren, you can only adopt from the league below you, aka the league of your children/nephews/nieces). Also you’d need the consent of your birth parents, and if you’re married you’d also need the consent of the spouse.

Short answer:

Every country sets its own rules for nationality. Under common law, your name is whatever you want it to be, as long as you have no fraudulent intent. But under civil law in Taiwan, your name is whatever it’s registered as, and changing it is a big deal; you can only do it once, with some exceptions.

2 posts were split to a new topic: From adult adoption

Which I don’t think they’d give, but in my case, both of my birth parents are passed away. Which is a large factor in why these thoughts of mine have come up.

She’d be over the moon.

I doubt it would work like that. The birth name would probably remain valid and be linked through the household registry system. Taiwan allows for individuals to have completely different names in English and Chinese.

Yes of course, in Taiwan. But in my country, where no such provision exists, banks, post offices and driving license offices all accept foreign passports as a primary form of identification. If all the passport shows is a romanised Chinese name, that’s the name that will be put into the system. You’d need nothing more than your passport and an address of your own choosing to open a bank account in your Chinese name. Then you could take your Taiwan passport, Taiwan driving license and account summary from the bank showing your Chinese name and address to your local state road authority office and you’d get a driving license issued in your name and by extension a driving record completely separate to the one in your original name.

Ideas like that are what lead to the “do you have any other nationality?” question on forms, or in some cases just “have you ever entered this country with a passport issued by any other country?” or the like.