Can an English school deny work permit if your first language isn't English?

Teaching at a buxiban? If it’s a regular school, English teacher with a passport issued by a non English country can get a work permit.

http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/ezworkch/home.jsp?pageno=201508100023

補習班專任外國語文教師工作
外國人應具備下列資格:
一、 年滿20歲。
二、 大專以上學校畢業。惟未取得學士學位者,另應具有語文師資訓練合格證書。
三、 教授之語文課程為其護照國籍之官方語言。
四、 外國人每週從事教學相關工作時數不得少於14小時,如同時受僱於2名以上雇主,每一新雇主每週從事教學相關工作時數不得少於6小時。外國人從事教學相關工作總時數不得超過32小時。

1. Aged 20 or over
  2. College graduate or higher. If not a bachelor’s degree, should have a language teaching certificate.
  3. The language taught should be the official language from the country of the passport.
  4. refers to the hours required.
2 Likes

This. :slight_smile:

The “official language” is problematic because it’s decided by MOFA, not by the foreign countries themselves.

As for the original question, a prospective employer can choose to doubt an applicant’s qualifications, but if it wants to hire the guy and does the paperwork correctly, the Puerto Rican question should not arise (unless MOFA has a different interpretation of US law, which I suppose it could).

If it’s a chain school, there may be internal regulations about which countries to choose from. That would have nothing to do with the government.

Yes, but at least it’s reasonably transparent:

http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/ezworkch/home.jsp?pageno=201508100053&acttype=view&dataserno=201611010064

有關外國人之護照國籍官方語言認定,將依外交部網站「國家與地區」認定,該語言如另註明為「通行語言」、「通用語言」或「普及語言」,則非為官方語言。

The “official language from the country of the passport” is determined by referring to the “Countries and Regions” section of the MOFA website. If it’s specifically labelled as a “common language” etc., it will not be considered the “official language”.

1 Like

As long as they make the mobile and desktop versions consistent… :doh:

1 Like

From the past:

December 24: 2012:

May 14, 2014:

June 23, 2015:

August 10, 2015:

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/possibility-of-teaching-esl-for-filipina-instructor/87484/7

2 Likes

I’m wondering about the “physical fitness” requirement. Are we talking x number of push-ups, or just not being in a wheelchair?

In a government website?!

:rofl::eek::no_no::wall:

Can anyone find Puerto Rico there?

No listing:

https://www.mofa.gov.tw/CountryAreaInfo.aspx?CASN=ABBF62618F53F8DE&n=A25A31DE8D66F1C6&sms=26470E539B6FA395

Shouldn’t it be within US listing, like Virgin Islands?

I think they just consider it part of the US.

So wait, does that mean somebody from non-English speaking country can teach in a buxiban but not at other schools?

No. To teach a language at a buxiban, there’s a specific legal requirement that you must have a passport from a country where that language is an official language. I’m not sure what the law says at an actual school, but tando is saying there’s no such law. Buxibans and schools are clearly delineated under the law. Sometimes buxibans claim to be schools and get into administrative trouble over it.

Without citizenship of an officially English speaking country, you can only work legally in a buxiban if you have a work permit exemption (through marriage etc.).

No. The opposite.

Somebody from non-English speaking country with proper qualifications can teach at regular schools but not in buxiban.

Sounds crazy :slight_smile: I thought buxiban < regular school.

What are proper qualifications? BA, teaching license?

I have a full-time TESOL cert and “junior” college diplomma…

It makes sense here :slight_smile: It seems a school can be presumed to have some level of competence to make such decisions on its own, and there is still oversight. It’s better to spell things out clearly with a buxiban.

Iirc, the qualification to teach at regular schools is BA in a related major and teacher licence of the subject you teach.

To teach Eglish at buxibans, you need to be from an English speaking country, and BA in any major or equivalent qualification.

Or to be precise, it’s what was stated earlier in this thread. :slight_smile: