Can I convert Visa-Exempted permit to visitor/resident visa to get student ARC? Please Help!

I’m sorry, I may be mistaken and am now on a very short time frame.

I thought that Taiwan changed their laws so that if I have a visa-exempted permit (90 days for Canadians) that I can change it to a visitor visa now WITHOUT having to leave the country. I know before you couldn’t but I swear I thought they changed it. Does anyone know? If not I have to move like a jitterbug to the TECO cuz I’m leaving soon!

I figured since I am enrolled in university there it would be no problem since I would have 90 days to change the visa-exempted into a resident visa and then into an ARC.

Help please! Thanks so much guys/gals

Well I was fortunate in that the administration contacted me tonight. For future reference, I need to get a visitor visa here in Canada, then convert it to a resident visa and apply for the ARC once in Taiwan.

I specifically asked about the visa-exempt changeover, and it is still not allowed, which really sucks!

Well people have definitely done it when they get jobs in Taiwan (see the link I gave you in the other thread). Maybe for school it’s not allowed because no one goes to Taiwan then looks for schools…