Can I enter Taiwan with an expired Taiwan Passport?

I was born in Taiwan but immigrated to Canada since I was a kid. I have both Taiwanese + Canadian passport, however my Taiwan passport has expired since over an year ago. I currently live in Terrebonne, Quebec, Canada and it’s very inconvenient to renew my Taiwanese passport, mind you I haven’t returned to Taiwan for over 10+ years so I have no idea what to expect… I’m planning to move back (already booked the ticket) on February 9th, will I be able to enter Taiwan with an expired Taiwanese passport? (it’s been more than an year, expired on July 2011 to be exact) I also don’t have a physical Taiwan ID identification (身份證) since I was very little when I left the country and it has been more than 10 years since I’ve went back. (I do have the ID number printed on my expired Taiwanese Passport though) What should I do? Should I prepare anything? (I don’t plan to enter as a Canadian citizen since I play to move back for the long term and work, I also will update and renew everything once I’m there) To make it clear, I will be leaving Canada with my Canadian passport so getting on the plane isn’t an issue.

The only reason why I feel that I cannot renew my passport before going back is because there isn’t a Taiwanese embassy nearby (the closest one I believe is one province away) and since I’m leaving in less than an month, I’m afraid that I will not be able to get my passport back before my flight (which is on February 9th) if I have to mail it + wait for them to mail back my passport. Also I’m not even sure if I can renew it by mailing if it has expired since over an year ago… D:

Thanks in advance for any help! I’m a little desperate of help here… @_@

我出生在台灣,但十幾歲時時就和家人移民到加拿大(我有僑居身份加簽)
我有台灣+加拿大護照,但我的台灣護照已過期一年多了
我目前在加拿大魁北克省,很不方便的更新我的台灣護照
我打算在今年的2月9日回國 (飛機票已經定了)
請問各位大大我能拿過期台灣護照回國嗎?
聲明一下我是拿加拿大護照出加拿大,所以上飛機不是問題
我已經超過10年多沒回去了, 所以我也沒有身份證… (只有舊的身份證號, 在台灣護照上)
我是女生, 所以沒有兵役問題

我該怎麼辦?我應該準備些什麼呢?
能避免的話我希望是以台灣身份回國而不是用我加拿大身份
我是打算回台灣定居
如果真不行的話我需要簽證嗎?
能到台灣下飛機那辦嗎?

Call the nearest Taipei Economic Cultural Center (Taiwan’s embassy) and ask what it would take to renew your passport. If I remember it takes just a couple of weeks if you apply for express. Mine and my wife’s expired for 20 years and we had no problem renewing ours few years ago. I am not too sure about the current regulations for renewal but weren’t hurt to call and ask.

Presumably you intend to depart Canada using the Canadian passport, and arrive in Taiwan using the Taiwanese one.

Remember, when you check-in for that flight using the Canadian passport, the Airline may want to see an onward ticket, or evidence that you can stay in Taiwan without limitation (ie - TW passport) and could deny boarding without one or the other.

It will be much less hassle if you get that Taiwanese passport renewed before you leave. Ask the TEC though, they will set you straight, not us armchair forumites.

Thanks for replying!

I’ve called the Taiwan’s embassy and they said I had to renew the passport … but it was too risky as they provide no express services and I had no time left.

Figured I’d update this in case there are people who have similar problem in the future:

You don’t actually have to renew your passport (though it is suggested that you do, I just didn’t know and was sorta an emergency to come back ><) as long as you have your expired passport you can get an ‘Exit & Entry Permit’ which is only valid for one day and enter the country on arrival. :wink: You need a picture of yourself (passport size) or pay NT400 (cash only) for it though. You can easily apply for a new passport without any problem once you are in the country.