Can I get an ARC if I enter on visa exemption?

[quote=“Novaspes”]Well, to be honest I never had to go through this. I applied for my position from abroad and I got here with a resident visa on my passport, which gave me an ARC as soon as day one.

In general you have to consider the visa exemption is something that keeps changing and often overlaps with other visa-related situations. For example, when I first visited Taiwan my exemption was for one month only. Last but not least, you have to know that Taiwanese go-to answer for anything they don’t know is “it’s not possible/it does not exist”.[/quote]

The only thing that has changed regarding visa exempt AFAIK is the # of days for some countries. And there seems to be considerable confusion since I think there is a difference for those studying Chinese and working. The best answer was the answer that was given several times on the first page of this thread. Go and ask questions at NIA. This doesn’t always work and sometimes adds to the confusion but usually they help you.

OK according to inquiries made by my school, those on a visa exempt can convert to ARC without having to leave the country as long as it’s done before the 90 days.

This answers my original question. Not sure about some of the others that have cropped up.

You mean before overstaying and becoming an illegal alien? You don’t say! :bravo: