Canadian AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS - No longer accepted

[quote=“sandman”]
No. The head bloke at the British trade office suggested it “off the record.” The Taiwanese fuckwads suggested that I go and live in the UK for three months and get it myself.[/quote]

How would living in the UK for 3 months enable you to get something that doesn’t exist?

Heh. You tell me.

Just to let everyone know, I went to the household registry office today and they accepted the Canadian affidavit without any problem. It was necessary to do things in the following order:

1. Canadian Trade Office - get the affidavit ($1600)
  2. Mofa - authenticate the affidavit ($400)
  3. Translate the affidavit $?? (I had a friend help me with that)
  4. Take the translation to the public notary to be authenticated. ($750)
  5. Household Registry Office ($70)

No problems for me. Now I’m on to stage two. Does anyone know if the government still requires a special health certificate for marriage, or will the standard “working as a teacher” one do?

** incidently be careful when you go to the public notary; they are very serious old fashioned civil servants. Furthermore, you need to bring your translator with you. In fact, your translator is more important than you. Hope this helps.

Is that one of Chen’s anti-foreigner going-away presents?

I ended up getting a Non-Marriage Search from my provinces Vital Statisics office. It’s total bullshit because it’s only good for that province. And if I were married there…I could just get a non-marriage search for the next province over. Perhaps one from the province I was born in. Anyway…got that…had it sent to the Taiwan Embassy in Toronto…they stamped it and sent it here. And they accepted that happily at the Household Registration office for my city. Giving my wife a new ID with my name on the back…and that’s it. Simple as that.

Oh yeah, and I had it translated and notorized by a public notary…the translation place did that for me for a fee of 1500. So 750 for the notary and 750 for their time. Which is fine by me…saved me an hour or two of my time.

That’s whay the whole thing is bollocks. Even if you could get a national “single” certificate, it wouldn’t prove that you weren’t married in the USA, the Bahamas, Namibia or anywhere else. It’s just one of their futile attempts to hold back the rising tide of miscegenation.

[quote=“Juba”]
That’s whay the whole thing is bollocks. Even if you could get a national "single-Marriage Search from my province’s Vital Statisics office. It’s total bullshit because it’s only good for that province. And if I were married " certificate, it wouldn’t prove that you weren’t married in the USA, the Bahamas, Namibia or anywhere else. It’s just one of their futile attempts to hold back the rising tide of miscegenation.[/quote]

Hoops; they’re made for jumping through…

[quote=“sandman”]They don’t have such a thing in Britland either. What i used was an official stamped letter from a notary public (our family solicitor in my case) that basically just said words to effect that
“I am (father’s name) and I hereby attest that my son (my name, Taiwan address & passport number) is not now, nor has ever been, married.”
Signed this day of etc.

(Dad’s signature)

Witnessed this day of etc. by

(Notary’s signature)

This was just on the notary’s A4 letterhead with his official embossed seal stamped on it.[/quote]

and then:

I just did exactly this 1 year ago and it worked for me. Mordeth I am sorry that you have to go through this mindfuk on what should be a joyous occasion.
I sincerely hope that you manage to find a way to enjoy the event

[quote=“shifty”][quote=“sandman”]They don’t have such a thing in Britland either. What i used was an official stamped letter from a notary public (our family solicitor in my case) that basically just said words to effect that
“I am (father’s name) and I hereby attest that my son (my name, Taiwan address & passport number) is not now, nor has ever been, married.”
Signed this day of etc.

(Dad’s signature)

Witnessed this day of etc. by

(Notary’s signature)

This was just on the notary’s A4 letterhead with his official embossed seal stamped on it.[/quote]

and then:

I just did exactly this 1 year ago and it worked for me. Mordeth I am sorry that you have to go through this mindfuk on what should be a joyous occasion.
I sincerely hope that you manage to find a way to enjoy the event[/quote]

They don’t accept that affidavit anymore. I’m done with it now…but I needed to get a Non-marriage search from Vital Statistics in canada…that was my step 1 then the rest was the same.

Now, I’m trying to get the RCMP criminal search. I already got the local police search…but when I contacted the Taiwan Embassy they told me they would only accept something from the RCMP. So now I’m going through those hoops. And by the time that paperwork comes…I’ll need to redo my Taiwan police check and health check…etc.

So to hear about the run around bro, but you have been here long enough to know that anytime you have to deal with The Taiwanese government esp on residency issues it is a comedy of errors directed by a retard rodeo.

Best of luck on your wedding though.

Hi, I was just wondering if you had a copy of the translation for the Canadian Affidavit … just to speed up the process for me or if anyone has it that would be great :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

Update:
It’s definitely still accepted.

*I got the single affidavit from the Canadian Trade Office this summer (there is a disclaimer at the bottom, since such a thing doesn’t actually exist for all of Canada).
*Had it authenticated at BOCA
*Mother-in-law translated it, we went to the public notary in TianMu for it to be notarized (the translator is the one who MUST go to the notary).
*Had courthouse wedding in October (optional, just for photo ops really), then
*Took the marriage certificate to Household Reg. Office to get added to husband’s household registry - must be done on the same day as courthouse wedding if you choose to have one (this process took nearly 2 hours for some reason). Got multiple copies of English marriage certificates.

So yes… at this moment in time, they do accept the single affidavit!