Canadian Bank Cards no longer work at Taiwan banks

Last year Canadian debit cards worked at Taiwan bank’s (First Bank). This year they don’t. Can still use at 7-11. Neither Canadian nor Taiwanese banks can offer any explanation.

Thanks for sharing this kind of information. But the info you are sharing would be more helpful if you would edit the title of your thread to make it clear you are speaking about First Bank and not banks in Taiwan in general.

Guy

It seems I have some learning to do myself. Why is a February 27 post (the OP) appearing in August as the “latest” in my view of Forumosa threads?

Guy

I happened to do an edit on it. That seems to bump things to the top of the list in this software. In general, it’s not as date-centric as our old software was.

Thank you Tempogain for the explanation. I’m still figuring out this new platform!

Guy

Thanks for your response. I guess the better question would be:

Does anyone know the name of any bank in Taiwan which will accept a Canadian debit card?

We tried the First Bank and another which I believe (but I could be wrong) Chang Hwa Bank.

How do other people get on when they’re in Taiwan for an extended period? Is paying the inflated charge at the 7-11 the only option - $4 for any withdrawal; max withdrawal about $400 Canadian.

Australians and New Zealanders use http://www.cashpassport.com/1/global-landing-page/ when they travel, so that they’re not exposing their debit card, but Taiwan’s not one of its countries.

CTBC (the one that’s in 7-11) is the only bank I’ve found that accepts my Canadian debit card. I haven’t had to withdraw money from that account in the last month but I remember the fees at the bank being the same as at 7-11.

Sorry, I didn’t keep a list of the banks I tried unsuccessfully. Shortly after arriving in Taipei I stuck my card into every bank machine I passed - this includes walking into 6 different banks in a row and trying not to panic by the end of it.

The Taoyuan airport ATM worked as well but I didn’t pay attention to what bank it was connected with.

My South-African coworker had a similar experience with his card, so it’s not just the Canadian ones.

1 Like

We are in Taiwan again. Here’s what we’ve found with respect to bank machines accepting Canadian Maestro/Cirrus bank cards.

1. Kaohsiung Airport - Both bank machines accepted the cards (sorry I don’t have the banks’ names)

2. First Bank (Hengchen). Wouldn’t work. Clerk in bank said it was because of the chip (the globe-like thing on the front of the card)

3. 7-11 (CTBC Bank) Card worked. 100nt fee, regardless of amount withdrawn.

4.Cathay United Bank (in Kaohsiung Costco) Worked. No fee shown on receipt.

I refuse to use China trust and Sinopac Bank machines due to the $100nt charge. Union Bank also recently imstituted a $100 fee so I don’t use them either now but they used to work.

With my Canadian card ive had success at Mega Bank, Taishin bank at many family Mart, Bank of Taiwan, Citibank , Taichung bank, Taiwan cooperative bank, Cathay, HSBC, and panhsin bank. All are no extra fee from the Taiwan side.

I’ve had no success at first bank, chunghua bank, cota bank, far eastern bank, land bank, and the post office.

The other banks I haven’t tried.

Good god, you stick your card in lots of places! :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

thanks Dan, great research

Thanks for the great research Dan. I’m sure lot of people will find it useful and money-saving

Our Canadian Credit Union also charges $C3.50 per cash withdrawal. So with the 100NT from the Taiwanese Bank the total bank charges are ~ $C8.00

Really? Mine seem to work ok.

Used Canadiank bank card (Maestro) at CHB Chang Hwa Bank in Hengchen yesterday to withdraw cash. No Fee charged by CHB.