Carnegies to close???

That was the rumor going around during the anniversary party on Saturday!

Let’s speculate about the demise of this den of scum and villainy.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me, its kind of been following a law of diminishing returns for some years now. The kind of expat it made money off (i.e. the sort that puts his credit card behind the bar) is less common these days (post HSR completion for example).

Why the hate for Carnegies? Never actually been to it myself.

It’s a movie quote…:roll:

It probably hit its ‘use-by’ date. Renovating is costly and doesn’t guaranty the success it had.

1 Like

mis-quote :paw_prints::paw_prints:

“Well, it’s been a tough 12 months,” is how Niall, the manager, began his speech at the event.

Reference then.

Niall’s used that speech ever since he won choirboy of the year back in the old country.

Hive, not den, hive.

Some obscure movie about some stars and some wars and stuff.

Yeah, I’m sure he was confusing it with “den of iniquity”

There actually used to be a bar here named Scum. Punk dedicated. A dive in every way.

1 Like

Scum was cool, man, all live local metal bands.
It used to be on Hsinhai across from the Y, then moved to Tunghua around the corner from the night market.
Nick Cave played there in like 1998 or so.

Carnegie’s Singapore closed years ago. I often wonder how the one in taipei survives but I guess mostly on liquor proceeds and cheap rent???

All the other holdout bars closed already like Saints and Sinners, etc. Not many people in that area party anymore. Now mostly smaller cocktail and whiskey bars.

Didn’t know Nick Cave played there. Strange that I wasn’t in on that.

…Equals deathly boring…

Yeah sure you JUST missed him by two…decades or so :smile:, better luck next time!

To me and the raccoon a decade is a mere moment in time.

2 Likes

IKR!?

Honestly, I had a moment of cog/diss when I read the title of that article refer to Charm Boy as a:

Long term expat

and then say he has been

residing in Taiwan for more than a decade

I had to read it again to make sure, I was, like, well that ain’t right…

1 Like

Hands up if you were in Taiwan before Carnage, eh, Carnegie’s * opened.

*BTW I have never been able to pronounce that name right.

1 Like