Cat problem - need some help here

Thanks tommy

I agree with all your points. Unfortunately, not much myself or the gf could’ve done, Moon b belonged to the gf’s roommate.

It turns out, gf’s roommate’s bf got her a new cat two days after Moon passed. Good luck…new cat, your owner doesn’t know how to take care of you.

If you guys are curious, here’s Moon:

I’m usually not a cat person, but damn, Moon was a good cat.

Moon was a handsome cat. I like cats but I shouldn’t have one… (it would be alone too much time, and I have 4 aquariums at home).

[quote=“tommy525, post:40, topic:22272”]
Cats are like kids. They really are. They are very sensitive to your mannerisms, your speech. And what goes on. [/quote]

They really are like kids, which is why people like them so much I suppose.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Moon was a very pretty tabby. Is moon also a munchkin? Her legs looks pretty short.

I had the EXACT same thought when I read tommy’s comment.

It’s funny you mention “her” because Moon is a he, but we nicknamed him “姆姆” which is clearly a girl’s name.

Maybe it’s the picture angle? He wasn’t that munchkin-y, unless I’m not grasping the term munchkin?

Google Photos

Sweet cat. 4 years is way too young for a cat to die. They should live 10plus to as much as 15 to 20.

Your friend needs to go to cat stores, talk to the vet, read books about how to care for cats.

When my then gf said she was going to be given a cat, i went and bought a couple of cat books, talked to cat stores about their upkeep.

Being informed is being a good parent.

Thanks tommy.

Care for the new cat is out of our reach. The new cat is being confined to her roommate’s room.

We can only hope that gf’s roommate cares better for this cat than she did with Moon.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I know where and who to ask whenever I do decide to be a parent to a furry one.

Hey guys, I’m back.

This time, it’s the new cat that the roommate has let out into the living/dining room. His name is Meow Meow (I know, so original) He’s about 7-9 months old and is scared of his mom, the gf and me. The gf overheard her roommate’s saying that if she didn’t like the cat, roommate’s bf was going to give it to someone else. I remember reading on @hansioux post and saw that it does takes time.

I’m here to ask for your help, so the furry one doesn’t end up with someone who doesn’t know how to take care of them or ends up on the street. Here’s the situation:

The cat spent it’s first 2 months inside the roommate’s room and was recently let out to roam around the house. He spends about 90% of the time under the table whenever we’re out in the living room. The other time he’s watching us from afar and if I make any minor noise or movements, he dives right back under the chair.

Weird thing is, we were watching a movie last weekend and were motionless and he came right up to the couch to snuggle at my knee. I pet him and Meow had no sign of dodging my gesture. This happened once and seemed to happen when gf and I were not chatting and focused on the movie.

Another thing is he jets into the gf’s room whenever he has the chance and hides under her bed, but is a scared of my gf! How does that work?

Any tips @Icon @tommy525 @lostinasia ?

Perfectly normal, especially if there’s no vertical space for Meow meow to claim his own. It’s going to take him a while to feel safe in that new space, and he will accomplish it by spreading his scent by rubbing his face against stuff. If he is spooked or has a bad experience during the process, it’s going to take even longer.

Leave treats near you, and if possible feed treat to him on your hand, and pet him. That should speed up the process a little bit. I would say it takes a least a week to a month for him to claim the new space.

Also perfectly normal. Cats love people that are quiet and don’t have sudden movements. When a cat still hasn’t warmed up to you, actively seeking them out also freaks them out. Letting Meow meow come to you on his own will, and let him associate coming close to you means treats and massages, soon he won’t feel the need to hide from you.

2 Likes

Thanks hansioux, will definitely take your tips and forward them to the gf.

I did put a few pieces of his cat food in my hand to lure him out of the gf’s room once. It took him a minute or two to realize it was food and I wasn’t going to hurt him. I was able to pet him slightly as he was chomping away.

Agree with what Hansioux says. Moreover, cats need socialization as well as an enriching environment. That is not a locked room without windows, alone for hours.