Cebu

Anyone ever been to Cebu? What’s it like for a short holiday. How about costs there? Don’t suppose anyone’s stayed at the Tambuli Beach resort?

Bri

Been to Cebu. I don’t recommend it. The beaches aren’t special and most of them are private and secluded, and there’s lots of concrete along the coast. The coral immediately off the coast is all dead apparently due to dynamite fishing in the past. I suppose, however, there must be decent places for diving not too far off.

If you’re going for the beach, there must be better places to go in the Philipines. Certainly in Thailand.

When I was there, we stayed at a really cheap place. Right on the water, but no beach. Just concrete. And nothing around nearby to do or see. So we went resort-hopping. The Tambuli seemed like a poor relation compared to the 5-star places like Shangri-La. The landscaping wasn’t as lush, the facilities a little run-down. There’s nothing much immediately around the resorts, so you’re kinda stuck if you don’t like your resort. You can make a little trip to the main island where there’s a bustling city.

If you’re going for the beach, there must be better places to go in the Philipines.

Boracay!

Certainly in Thailand.

Been to Phuket, Ko Samui and Ko Phi Phi, depends what you are after but I recommend all of them.

I like Cebu a lot. It’s a little unfair to say there is bugger all to do on Mactan island where the resorts are … the island is quiet, and I think that’s a good thing. It’s only a short trip over the bridge to Cebu and its nightlife and huge malls like the Ayala Center and SM Megamall. I stayed at Maribago Bluewater, and really enjoyed it. It’s a cheap place to learn to SCUBA dive too. I’d recommend Cebu for serious R&R …

Difference between Cebu (which I’ve never been to) and a Thai Island (which I’ve done and liked) is about 7000NT each, which is why I was thinking of Cebu.

Cebu package (5D4N) is about 10 or 11K, but I can’t find a Boracay package. Are there any cheap ones and would it be much different from Cebu?

BTW is it Kee-Boo, Chee-Boo, See-Boo, or something else?

Bri

Bri, if you just sell your wedding shirt you can almost make up the difference for one person. Sell your right pant leg and you’ve got it!

quote[quote]BTW is it Kee-Boo, Chee-Boo, See-Boo, or something else? [/quote]

Are you trying to get a job at ICRT?

You pronounce the name: seh-BOO

Be careful not to say: SAY-boo (I’ve heard it prnounced this way – sounds strange)

I’ve heard “see-BOO” also… maybe this is with a Visayan accent? I’m from Manila and we like to make fun of the Visayan accent. That said, we’re probably wrong about seh-BOO – becuase Cebu is the heart of the Visayas (the language, “Visayan,” is also called “Cebuano”; and btw, this is not pronounced see-boo-AH-no, we definately say seh-boo-AH-no)

I’ve always enjoyed Cebu, but I’ve always had locals show me around. They like to say you could go from hiking a mountain to diving at a beach in under 20 mins. There’s a lot to do – but its nice to have friends there to show you.

If you do go and you make it to Cebu City, go up to “Big Top” – I forge the name, but “top” is definately part of it. It’s on the mountain overlooking the city and you have a great view.

Btw, if you eat Lechon (roast suckling pig) is prepared differently in Cebu. The claim is that you do not need any sauce – it’s that tasty. While you’re there, ask to sample some Illongo food, too – arguably the best Filipino cuisine.

Boracay is fun. I’ve heard the best German (OK, actually Austrian) and Korean food in the Philippines is found there

Lechon? Dammit Gus, now you’ve got me going. I miss my lechon. Are there any Filipino restaurants in Taipei where you can get a half-decent roasted suckling pig?

So how about Cebu vs Bali?

I ask becuase i read (in LP) that it’s rainy season in the Phillipines now, but dry season in Indonesia and I’ve never been to Bali either and my girfriend is conservative in her travel tastes (having only ever been to Taiwan and New Zealand).

Bri
PS Mucha Man, I will never sell my Kenzo

Bali rocks. I’ve got a small house in Legian that I pay about $45.00US per month (1 year in advance). All new furniture, utilities included, 5 minutes walk from the beach. Bintang Beer is great and the sunsets are amazing.

Hey, O’Brian! How 'bout posting some pictures of the house and the surrounds? I lived in Bali for a few months not so long ago, eating fried bananas for breakfast every day, and satay every night. Surfing, diving, drinking, and the rest. Great place, but too many Aussies (said by an Aussie)…

Regards,

Babou

quote:
Originally posted by The Big Babou: Hey, O'Brian! How 'bout posting some pictures of the house and the surrounds? I lived in Bali for a few months not so long ago, eating fried bananas for breakfast every day, and satay every night. Surfing, diving, drinking, and the rest. Great place, but too many Aussies (said by an Aussie)...

Regards,

Babou

No photos, I’m afraid but it’s right off Jalan Sahadewa…right near Billy’s Bar. Billy is Balinese but he speaks JUST LIKE AN AUSSIE!

OK Babou, I slapped up a page with just a FEW photos from Bali…ENJOY!

http://obrian4.tripod.com/index.htm

Hey, thanks for the pics O’Brian, especially those of your friends. Strange thing, you know, when I went to Bali, I made some friends, too. In fact, maybe the same friend… Gotta check my photo album!

Regards,

Babou

So how about Cebu vs Bali?

Haven’t been in Cebu but Bali is ok. Has a nice charme.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people loittering around and trying to sell you stuff, especially at the beach.
Opposed to Thailand they are persistant if not agressive and don’t take off when you make it clear you aren’t interested.

But stay at Kuta Beach (Hard Rock Cafe Hotel!) for convenience.
The capital (what was the name?) hasn’t much to offer IMHO.

That said a trip into the country side is a must, beautiful scenery.
Most trips include Ubud, find the rice fields and by that the Monkey Bar there!

(bump)
How is Cebu these days? Safe? ImaniOU, did you get back yet??

We are also going to Cebu in a couple of weeks.
Remeber that Bohol, a nice small island is just a small boat ride away!

Biiiiiiiiig bump.

Updates? Anyone been to Cebu recently? Thinking of taking a week to PI, never been, tossing between Cebu and Boracay.

I’m going to be flying to Cebu in January with Cebu Pacific Airlines, but the flight arrives in Cebu at 1:15am! The airport is on Macatan island a fair distance from downtown Cebu. Have any forumosans done this flight and found a cheap hotel near the airport?