Changing jobs - Work Permit / ARC Implications

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some updated information as of 2017 in regards to changing jobs and the repercussions from the residency perspective.

I will be leaving my current job before the contract expires as I have found a better job in my field. I have received my signed Termination letter/Contract Cancellation letter from my current employer despite still having a a week left to work. (Will be leaving early-October)

My new company has given me their offer letter, which has been signed by both parties and is about to start applying for my work permit, however given the upcoming public holidays, it won’t be completed until after I have left my current job.

This gives rise to a period where I’ll have no valid ARC and work permit and may be here illegally potentially?

As I understand, my work permit and ARC will be cancelled within a period of a week or two after my last day in my current job. I am a little worried that my new work permit may not be processed by that time and therefore a straight update of ARC will not work out.

So the other option is… go to the NIA after my current job ends with:

• NIA multipurpose application form
  • 1 colour passport photo
  • Termination Letter
  • Current ARC
  • Letter explanation intention of extending ARC
    (All of which I already have or can get)

And get a 6 month extension of ARC while I wait to get my work permit and then change that for a work-sponsored ARC after I receive my work permit.

I was wondering going from the extension ARC to a work-sponsored ARC, is it easier than starting the ARC process from scratch? What will be required in terms of documents and paper-work? I understand it’ll be a work permit, offer letter, and current ARC, or is there more to it?

I have heard from friends when they changed jobs they simply brought their old ARC, and their new work permit along with their termination letter and had their ARCs updated with the new information of their new employer. I was hoping to do this too as it seems like the most simplest option however, given that my new employer is unlikely to get my new work permit sorted in time would it be a wise move to get the extension ARC as a safety net?

I also want to keep my APRC options open as in case I ever want to apply for that in the future (So far 4 continuous years on the clock for that) hence trying to keep my residency ongoing without dramas.

Any advice, experiences or recommendations are appreciated.

Just FYI - I went with the 6 month extension option and that went through fine, then a couple of weeks later I got my new ARC once the work permit application was complete. Ended up being somewhat straight forward.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago because I wanted to have a few weeks’ breather between jobs. It shouldn’t be a problem–just means you have to go to the NIA a couple of times more.