Charlottesville protests

The OED doesn’t have an entry for white privilege, but here’s white superemacy:

While I go poking around Oxford’s resources, here’s a bit of semantics about White Supremacy and the System of Privilege
http://education.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.001.0001/acrefore-9780190264093-e-5

If Huff post isn’t too leftist, here’s what someone there had to say, mostly the same as the semantics above: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-benn/the-white-antiracism-tone_b_7861740.html

There’s nothing wrong with people who move here and learn enough Chinese to get by. I fully support immigrants to anywhere who don’t want to give up their own language and heritage when they move some place new. I am not referring to people who learn a bit of Chinese and use it daily. I am referring to the people who move here long term, learn next to no Chinese, and then expect everyone to know English and cater to their every need, because, after half a year or 20, they still can’t communicate what they want or need. The only reason that’s a possible lifestyle here is because of white supremacy.

1 Like

#backpedalinglikecrazy

2 Likes

Really? Is that what it is? Have you ever been to America, Canada, or Europe? Let’s take Vancouver, BC. There are a lot of East Asian, specifically Chinese -either from Taiwan or Chinese Beijing, who live in the city and surrounding burbs. See, Canada gives you two language options. You can learn English, or French. Pick one. Some folks do not bother to learn either. White supremacy in action, eh?

The places I mentioned have a “white majority”, and if we want to stretch that blanket as far as it will go, then you COULD make an argument for white supremacy based solely on the fact they are the majority. But there are no laws in place (in the majority of places) that do not specifically protect any particular class. What society does, is something else.

The “whites” who have taken up residency in Taiwan, in some form or the other, did not make the laws here. Taiwanese went to the west and brought all that back with them. There actually is a language requirement with a proficiency minimum, to be a bonafide passport carrying citizen of the ROC. Did you know that? Did you also know that the US, white nation supreme, has no such law? Hell, the US has no official language. One of the few nations that do not. My grandparents, when they hauled my mother and her bros and sisters to the US did not bother to learn English beyond a 20 word vocabulary and did not bother to learn to read it. They made out ok. Well. Kind of.

TL;DR just because whites come to Taiwan and do not bother to learn the language has nothing to do with white supremacy and everything to do with white laziness.

4 Likes

That’s just a bald assertion. I’ll accept that some such subset of people exist. What are they doing here though? Sitting on the veranda drinking gin and tonics while they wait for the Cowboys game to come on? Ordering people around for fun? I suggest that they are performing some desired economic function. Their ability to do so and a demand for such functions are the only reasons for such a possible lifestyle. The minute one or the other is lacking they’ll be turfed out (unless they have enough money to stay in this place they presumably hate?) and any supposed supremacy they have will be totally irrelevant.

1 Like

The prevalency of English has nothing to do with race, with being white. For 200 years since Adams Smith, Britain and America and perhaps the other English speaking countries more or less embraced more free markets than the other countries. As our countries prospered, our trade increased, and that is what makes English useful internationally.

In the last 20 years, we’ve been going downhill, but it hasn’t made much difference compared to other nations/languages because everyone is following the same path presently. You will often hear about the rise of China and importance of Chinese when America is suffering economic demise, such as presently for last 20 years, and back in the 70s there was talk of China overtaking the US, but that stopped in the 80s.

What you are describing, a superior position vis-a-vis other nations, is not for being white, but for being a fluent speaker of a language that represents a door that opens into greater economic opportunities in international business and exchange. I think that is something you can be proud of, our historical heritage of free markets and greater business activity, whether or not you yourself or others in that English-speaking bracket are just as entrepreneurial.

My understanding is restructuring was done to make it more efficient so as to prevent cuts, because all those programs are becoming increasingly unsustainable.

It’s usually the case that older voters are more conservative than younger voters, because they are experienced, wiser, and not so easily led by the nose via political rhetoric or idealism; they grasp reality a lot better.

For instance, Brexit vote was mostly supported by the older generation, because they had seen better days when they were independent of Europe, and they remember, they can compare. The younger generation voted no because they grew up under the aegis of Europe, they have no idea how much better things could be, they rather fear a change in the status quo; it’s an unknown for them.

It’s also the case that women are more likely to vote conservative after getting married. You are more likely to vote Democrat when you need someone to take care of you with all their government programs and welfare and handouts to be dependent on, so that’s the attraction for the young.

Again, its all in how the words are chosen.

No, they are afraid of a changing society. Society is doing exactly what it needs to. Change. You can fight it all you want, but there are reasons we do not live in caves anymore. Also, if they believe in the GOP, they need to burn their SS checks. Otherwise, they are…whats the word…hypocrites! is my money they are spending. Mine. Screw them. Get a job grandma!

I am willing to bet you give me the “bendy banana” crap. Yeah. What if Europe turns off the tap?I have been rounds with Brexiters who want their freedom (yet, will not leave NATO, the UN, or the WTO or IMF. Strange) and will not let Scotland or NI go. Funny that. The EU is the strongest single market. More so than China and the US. Even without UK, it will purr along just nicely. May and Lafarge claim that England buys more products than anyone else, and that will cripple the EU economy. A quick check on the Google proved that wrong. Anglo arrogance from a country that simply does not matter anymore. They were almost correct on cars. UK buys about 1/5th of German auto exports. Pretty nifty. Losing that market will sting, but not be the end of days. If you cut your pinky off it will hurt. But you still have 4 digits left to function.

That explains why Buffet and Gates have voted for the dems! They need all those handouts.

If you hate the government that much, then why did you vote for Trump? Its a contradiction. You should be for the collapse of the US government and all its institutions. Seriously. You either have 100% of freedoms, or 100% of the oppressions. Anywhere else in between is does not exist. You cannot morally, or logically, ask for bits and pieces.

Are you sure you don’t mean Japan?

No, that’s a totally different ball of wax. That was during the 80s, we had a larger “trade deficit” and economic dynamics were such that Japanese were buying our properties and companies, and some misguided individuals (who had the old mercantilist philosophy) started spreading fears that Japan was buying us out.

But it’s just part of economics and actually a sign of American success. Adams Smith talked about the principle, that with the increase in capital and productivity, Americans were buying more from other countries than they were from us, because we were able, but on the other side of the equation, those nations would lend us their capital and investment since we were so productive with it, which added another ingredient to our low unemployment.

But who, in the 70’s, apart from Maoists, was saying China would soon overtake the US?

1 Like

Change for the sake of change is not always good, it depends on what that change is. There are times when the change of the progressive economic policies have us mucked up in economic morass, like in the 70s and in 2000s. Then we need a change and revolution, such as Reagan brought in the 80s and perhaps Trump may bring, returning back to sound principles that exist from time immemorial. In a democracy such as ours, the pendulum swings back and forth between progressive economics and more sound, conservative economics when the progressives have got us into a pickle again and need someone to get us out.

We are getting to a dangerous place in society when one-half the non-producer population votes to force the other producer half to fork over their goods. I think Democrats are getting us ever closer to that stage.

Britain voted out of EU because they wanted their soveignty, they want to direct their trade and money policies according to democratic principles. That’s why people vote for reprensentatives, so they can have their voice heard on these important matters, and not by a bunch of distant egalitarians in Europe.

If you hate the government that much, then why did you vote for Trump? Its a contradiction. You should be for the collapse of the US government and all its institutions. Seriously. You either have 100% of freedoms, or 100% of the oppressions. Anywhere else in between is does not exist. You cannot morally, or logically, ask for bits and pieces.

I’m not an anarchist. I believe government is a necessary evil, it has functions to protect and direct, but should be as small and uninvasive as possible. The Founding Fathers were tired of repressive authoritarian government regimes in Europe. Their answer wasn’t to do away with authority, but to make it answerable to the people, with checks on itself. Everything has to all or nothing with you.

Quoth Mr. Democrats-Bad-Republicans-Good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A report from that alleged bastion of leftiness, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, on Antifa etc.:

Warning: the figures they cite for lefty violence vs. righty violence may cause some Forumosans to choke on their morning covfefe.