China's New Silk Road by Train is Finished

Not sure if this a good or bad thing. The last time China built a road into a neighboring country, they invaded it.

That’s a hell of an achievement, but considering what used to travel along the Silk Road, it’s a bit depressing that those containers are filled with plastic knicknacks and nylon socks destined for Tesco.

It probably cost more to fuel the train than it did to fill it with tat.

1 Like

MIght come in handy since Trump’s going to stop buying all the cheap stuff from China and make it in USA.

New route of entry for illegal immigrants and asylum seekers?

That was my first thought. The Beast in the East?

It’s a great achievement alright. It has to be far more environmentally friendly to send stuff by rail. There’s a lot less drag going overland by wheels on steel compared to by sea.

Technologically, it could have been achieved more than a century ago, but wars and politics prevented that possibility.

The same old trade dilemma exists from centuries ago: China has interesting knickknacks and products to export, but what can we send back on the return journey?

I suppose they’ll stop in Germany and pick up BMWs and Mercedes Benz. It’s the new opiate of the masses.

2 Likes

At first I thought, “How does a freight train get to Britain?” because I thought only a high-speed rail type of train used the Chunnel. I learned that the Channel Tunnel also has lines for freight trains and for conveying road vehicles. Pretty cool.

Notvtobsound paranoid, but China’s huge expansion, selective bully tactics, and patient nature should make governments a bit more worried. But like crows,we like shiny garbage.