Chinese automakers showcase eco-cars

maybe this should be in ‘Technology’…Mods - your call

[quote]Chinese automakers showcase eco-cars
By JOE McDONALD, AP Business Writer Sun Apr 22, 3:03 PM ET

SHANGHAI, China - One experimental clean-energy car runs on natural gas. Another uses ethanol distilled from corn. A third has a zero-emissions electric motor powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.

These alternative vehicles were created not by a global automaker but by China’s small but ambitious car companies, which displayed them Sunday alongside gasoline-powered sedans and sport utility vehicles at the start of the Shanghai Auto Show.

At a time when they are still trying to establish themselves in international markets, Chinese automakers are already investing in such avant-garde research in a bid to win a foothold in the next generation of technology.

“This is the tide of the industry. If you don’t go with the tide, the industry will pass you by,” said Qin Lihong, a vice president of China’s biggest domestic automaker, Chery Auto Co., in an interview ahead of the show’s opening.

China’s communist leaders are encouraging the development as part of efforts to cut pollution and rising dependence on imported oil and to make this country a creator of profitable technologies.

Chinese manufacturers are getting help from foreign automakers in joint ventures and from research alliances with Chinese universities and government laboratories.

Beijing has made cleaner cars a policy priority, targeting the field as one of 11 priority areas in a 15-year technology development plan issued in February 2006. It promised grants and tax breaks to support industry efforts.

The campaign embodies one of Beijing’s strategies in technology development: Pick new areas with no entrenched competitors so China can make breakthroughs without huge costs.(more at link)
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/ap_ … _auto_show[/quote]

I just saw that at Yahoo.

So, what’s your position?

better mileage standards in the US? more hybrid car incentives?

Or let the market take the the Big Three as they deserve to be bankrupt for their ineptitude at the cost of millions of jobs?

What’s your take on this TC?

I fully support techno advancements in the automobile industry.
Reduce emissions, increase life-cycle, explore and encourage alternative fuel usage make things as recyclable as possible…all good things in my opinion.

And if they happen to let me have 400bhp at the driving wheels (rwd please), with 0 - 60 mph in < 6.0 seconds, a top end approaching 170 mph with an ergonomic leather upholstered interior sporting an excellent sound system…well…hurrah for technology!

How about safety? Chinese cars aren’t really scoring high in that regard, I heard …

I would tackle Chinese DRIVING before I tackle the cars themselves.

Yeah, but I mean for me as a potential car buyer, say, living in Europe or the US - what would make me buy a cheap and environment-friendly chinese-made car that sucks in terms of safety? - If they want to compete in those markets they have to improve in that area, too.

Yeah, but I mean for me as a potential car buyer, say, living in Europe or the US - what would make me buy a cheap and environment-friendly Chinese-made car that sucks in terms of safety? - If they want to compete in those markets they have to improve in that area, too.[/quote]

I thought it was a given that non-Chinese would not buy Chinese cars, not for another few decades at least. :sunglasses:

I’ll buy a Haier fridge, but if the milk goes bad, I throw the milk out. Cars? Not so much.

Great story there. I’m really glad the Chinese are catching onto eco cars, as they are the ones that will be producing most of the pollution in the world otherwise. I too am interested in the safety stats of Chinese cars. Does anyone know if they even have a safety standard test in China like they do in the U.S. and E.U.?