Chinese for football (soccer)

A list of footballing vocabulary to help us through the World Cup.

I’ll get it started with:

守門員 /shǒuményuán/ - goalkeeper
射門 /shè mén/ - goal
犯規 /fànguī/ - foul
紅牌 /hóng pái/ - red card
黃牌 /huáng pái/ - yellow card

And a good one for yelling at the TV:

裁判員是王八蛋! /cáipànyuán shì wángbādàn!/ - the referee’s a wanker

I’ve been trying to come up with Chinese translations for Aussie rules football for a while - this is what I got so far:

澳式足球 ao4shi4 zu2qiu2, AFL, or Aussie Rules football
推背 tui1bei4, push in the back, very common illegal contact
球門得分 qiu2men2 de2fen1, to score a goal (I have chosen 球 instead of 射 - to shoot - as in AFL kick by dropping the ball onto the boot - a ‘drop punt’. Included 得分 - to score points - for clarification, because 球門 seems to be a noun.)
One translation I saw in a textbook once for ‘scored a(nother) goal’ was 又進了一個球 (lit. ‘another ball’s gone in…’)

Tackle is an interesting one. In soccer (sorry, “football” :p), Dr.Eye suggests 阻截 zu3jie2 - which means more to block or to intercept, but a rugby tackle is translated as 擒抱 qin2bao4 - to seize or hold in the arms, which if you’ve watched any AFL is more like the way AFL players tackle - ie. a copybook tackle is actually grabbing the other player around the waist! 擒抱 is followed by 摔倒 shuai1dao3 - to tumble to the ground, and AFL players are often brought to ground in tackles. Overall, the dictionary’s translation is not too bad.

How do you explain the offside rule in Chinese ?

we also need:

Over the moon
He nutmegged his opponent
Sick as a parrot
It’s a game of 2 halves

I’ve got a German version: britishembassyworldcup.com/en/glossary.htm :eh:

Ein Spieler befindet sich in Abseitsstellung, wenn er der gegnerischen Torlinie näher ist als der Ball und der vorletzte Abwehrspieler

offside=越位

Explanation in Chinese:
越位的三要素: 1.越位位置
2.時間點
3.參與比賽、獲利、干擾對方
越位位置:
1.攻方接球員比防守最後第二位球員(通常是最後一名防守員)更靠近守方球門線(底線)。
2.攻方接球員比球更靠近守方的球門線(底線)。

we also need:

Over the moon 雀躍不已
He nutmegged his opponent (盤球)過人 盤球=dribbling
Sick as a parrot 非常失望
It’s a game of 2 halves 足球分上下半場 half=半場
(suggest to put these phrases in deutsch)

Ein Spieler befindet sich in Abseitsstellung, wenn er der gegnerischen Torlinie näher ist als der Ball und der vorletzte Abwehrspieler
Translation: A player is in offside position, if he is closer to the opposing goal line than the ball and the next to last defense player

In the end, " Deutscher Fußball ist das beste~~~~~~"

Erm… the title of this thread is “Chinese for football (soccer)”, yet, unless I’m going blind, no-one has actually translated it. No point learning how to say “offside” if you don’t know how to say “football”.

Echt? :eh: That deserves a raised eyebrow!

My brother and I used to play ISS on the PS2 with the German commentary on because it was just so damn funny. Especially the “nach dem Motto, safety first!” when my uncultured centre-half would wallop the ball into touch.

[quote=“taipei_swan”]I’ve been trying to come up with Chinese translations for Aussie rules football for a while - this is what I got so far:

澳式足球 ao4shi4 zu2qiu2, AFL, or Aussie Rules football
推背 tui1bei4, push in the back, very common illegal contact
球門得分 qiu2men2 de2fen1, to score a goal (I have chosen 球 instead of 射 - to shoot - as in AFL kick by dropping the ball onto the boot - a ‘drop punt’. Included 得分 - to score points - for clarification, because 球門 seems to be a noun.)
One translation I saw in a textbook once for ‘scored a(nother) goal’ was 又進了一個球 (lit. ‘another ball’s gone in…’)[/quote]

Tackle is translated in 鏟球 not 阻截 in football (sorry, no american football)

Echt? :eh: That deserves a raised eyebrow!

My brother and I used to play ISS on the PS2 with the German commentary on because it was just so damn funny. Especially the “nach dem Motto, safety first!” when my uncultured centre-half would wallop the ball into touch.[/quote]

Oh, please don’t play a “football video game”; football itself is much more interesting.

And for irishstu, Chinese for football=中文的足球術語
football=足球

I thought everyone here at least knows 足球…

thanks to everyone who has contributed to this, I tried a few of these last night and they worked well.
so continuing on the thread…

can anybody help with comments you may yell at the screen: examples
“Send him off!”
“what a wasted chance”
“He should play for Wales”
" that was a bloody foul, if I ever saw one…" etc etc

[quote=“meatball head”]thanks to everyone who has contributed to this, I tried a few of these last night and they worked well.
so continuing on the thread…

can anybody help with comments you may yell at the screen: examples
“Send him off!”
“what a wasted chance”
“He should play for Wales”
" that was a bloody foul, if I ever saw one…" etc etc[/quote]

送他紅牌啦! /sòng tā hóngpái la!/ send him off!
錯失了一個大好機會 /cuòshī le yīgè dà hǎo jīhuì/ what a wasted chance
他應該幫中華台北踢球 /tā yīnggāi bāng Zhōnghuá Táiběi tīqiú/ he should play for Chinese Taipei
那根本就是該死的犯規 /nà gēnběn jiùshì gāisǐde fànguī/ that was definitely a bloody foul

Preface any of these choice phrases with:

幹! /gàn/
靠! /kào/
他媽的! /tā māde/

and you will achieve the desired effect (warning: not intended for polite company!).

Hence a good stream of invective would be something like:

靠! 他真的爛死了;他媽的!應該把他換下來!
Kào! Tā zhēnde làn sǐle; tā māde! Yīnggāi bǎ tā huàn xiàlai!
Shit! He’s fcking terrible! For fck’s sake - take him off!

Then take a swig of your Taiwan Beer and let out a good-sized belch. I guarantee any Taiwanese lads you’re watching it with will be impressed.

Some of us can’t read Chinese, so for us dullards the thread is of little use. I suppose I could print the Chinese off and paste it onto boards which I can then show in the pub. How’s about a likkle Pin-Yin for the retards…?

I notice you dropped the jibe against the Welsh team Taffy! I took a guess from your name you may be a supporter…no offence intended!

Thanks very much for the translations, I will try them out tonight.
This forum really is a dream for getting phrases I can use in an informal context. Thanks all, one day I hope I can contribute something.

MrHill, you will notice that all of my posts come ready-equipped with pinyin for your convenience (thank you, thank you - oh, you’re all too kind). However, the other phrases which have been mentioned elsewhere are:

足球 /zúqiú/ football
鏟球 /chănqiú/ tackle
越位 /yuè wèi/ offside
雀躍不已 /què yuè bùyĭ/ over the moon
盤球過人 /pánqiú guò rén/ Alphonse reckons this means “to nutmeg an opponent”, but I think it means simply “dribble past an opponent”
非常失望 /fēicháng shīwàng/ sick as a parrot
足球分上下半場 /zúqiú fēn shàngxià bànchăng/ it’s a game of two halves (doesn’t really have the same idiomatic meaning in Chinese)

Nope, despite the name I’m not Welsh, but I did change the sentence you gave to make it more relevant when said in Mandarin. After all, few Taiwanese have even heard of Wales, let alone know how crap their team is… :wink:

how do I create a sense of urgency in a phrase such as “tackle him!” or “shoot!”…?

also locals in my office are disagreeing with 鏟球chan3qiu2 for tackle.

Add 啦 (la) to the end of your utterance, thusly:

抄球啦! /chāoqiú la!/ tackle him!
踢球啦! /tīqiú la!/ shoot! (actually means “kick the ball!” but is used when a player is in a shooting position)

Yeah, sorry, I got lazy and cut and pasted from another post without checking it. 抄球 (chāoqiú) is the right way to say it.

Thanks Taffeta, you are a sweet heart. Mwah!

My oh my, you’ve got me all hot and flustered now. :blush: