Chinese Groupthink and Chinabounder

Anyone remember the Carnegies “Welcome to Taiwan” beer coaster episode?
I’ve still got a pic of it.
Ohh! the indignity!
But how few years ago was it you could still go down to snake alley for a 12 year old? :loco:

I was just getting to that… Now, it appears…<THUNK!>

Umm, fortunately I have no idea about that.

HG

Umm, fortunately I have no idea about that.

HG[/quote]
Niether do I :unamused: but if you read the papers less than 10 years ago it was just made illegal about that time.

Are you sure? There were government approved prostitutes around snake alley ten years ago, but I think you’ve left a digit out (no pun intended) they were more like 112 than 12. They got their approval sometinme after Cash My Cheque and his scaley mates arrived. I think they stopped ssuing the certificates in the fifties.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Are you sure? There were government approved prostitutes around snake alley ten years ago, but I think you’ve left a digit out (no pun intended) they were more like 112 than 12. They got their approval sometinme after Cash My Cheque and his scaley mates arrived. I think they stopped ssuing the certificates in the fifties.

HG[/quote]

I guess the young ones were hidden away.

Here’s something to give an idea of how it was just recently:

1988 – The Garden of Hope is formed to provide protection and shelter for girls and young women involved in sex work. In the same year, a review of the legal protection for girls is launched.

1993 – Anti-Child Prostitution Marathon is held in one of the main red-light areas of Taipei (Snake alley). More than 15,000 people take part in the rally to end child prostitution.

1995 – The Garden of Hope’s version of the Law to Prevent Sexual Transactions Involving Children (Anti-Child Prostitution Law) is passed in the Legislative Yuan.

goh.org.tw/english/aboutusmilestones.htm

That doesn’t mean it was legal beforehand.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]That doesn’t mean it was legal beforehand.

HG[/quote]

Legal-schmegal. The brothels were wide open and the girls stood outside and would grab customers walking through. God help you if you had a beard. The scam was…Chinese would go up in the hills and buy aborigine girls from their parents. Bring them to Taipei where they would be pumped full of hormones to develop their breasts and then sell to some rich guy for $100,000NT to “break her in” the first time. After that the girls would work in the brothels in Snake Alley taking in a new customer about every 20-25 minutes for about $250NT. Japanese paid $600NT, Westerners about $1,000NT. Blacks were out of luck.

By the time the girls him about 18 they were too old and would be farmed off someplace else. As late as the mid-90s, the Army wa still recruiting girls to work on Jinmen and Matsu. Yes…14-15 year old girls…the troops stood in lines and paid $50NT a shot…officers $100NT. There was finally a big stink and the Army run brothels shutdown after one girl claimed she had been kidnapped and her customer/soldier/boyfriend smuggled a letter out for her.

Law enforcement is in Taiwan is either laizes-faire or crackdown.

I read about this a few days ago as well on ESWN. I basically wrote it off as just another bigoted guy getting bent out of shape over the fact some Chinese girls like dating western guys and vise-versa. Of course it did seem like Chinabounder knew exactly which buttons to push to set someone off enough to start a confrontation though. Now with the hoax explaination popping up, and with the suspicious way of how everything is connected, it makes me wonder if it is a planned instigation similar to the Japanese riots last year. It seem just too foolish to piss off the locals the way he did, especially in China where you could get thrown into a gulag without a key.

This episode makes me think of this article: China Planning Major Anti-US Propaganda Campaign

I seems like its time again for foreigner bashing in China. This blind hatred really makes me wonder where China is heading.

P.S. In regards to prostitution in Taiwan, the Good Shepherd Sisters should be given much of the credit. They aren’t as public as other groups, but they are the ones that really made a difference.

[quote=“4nr”]
I seems like its time again for foreigner bashing in China. This blind hatred really makes me wonder where China is heading.[/quote]

Well, it’s not like this is anything out of the ordinary.

Boxer Rebellion, circa 1900

[color=red]Red Guards[/color] “criticizing” foreign nuns, late 1960s

Herbert Hoover must’ve porked the wrong girlie.

This is how wars start. Paris and Helen of Troy anyone?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]That doesn’t mean it was legal beforehand.

HG[/quote]

You could be right in that the pimps were breaking child emplyoment laws and could have been fined the same as someone who employed minors to work in a factory or serve food in a restaurant.

Back on topic: All of this agitation is under the control of the CCP - when it begins at least. Uber-racist “Psychology Professor” is probably a one-off, his blog is the product of a mind obsessed with sex, preferably with white women, but this means that by and large people will do what they’re told. Every so often the peasants are allowed to let off steam about some local corrupt cop, or some uppity party member who runs over a kid in his Merc, and over-sexed foreigners or the Japanese are excellent targets for a bit of tension relief. I guess the CCP feels it deflects attention from them. Not that we’re at the rioting in the streets stage yet of course.

That’s because they’re worried their women folk will realise their countrymen’s…um… shortcomings…

Quite so. An old political ploy, and very useful when the populace starts thinking and questioning government policies and past transgressions…

I’m not really sure what your point is, Lord Lucan. Many people do what they’re told by the government in China because if they don’t, they face fines, or prison or worse. And yes, I believe the government does try to keep the public riled up about Japan, Taiwan, and other things in order to deflect anger and criticism from the CCP.

But, this does NOT mean that all Chinese people think alike. I still keep in touch with several of my Chinese friends in Beijing. One is very active in the underground church movement. One quit her good paying job with my former company to volunteer with blind people. One helps to generate funds for a group of older, single Chinese ladies who take in kids who are thrown away because they have disabilities.

Most people outwardly tow the party line for self-preservation, but they don’t all think alike. You should read some essays from one of my classes of University students at Capital Normal University in Beijing. The topic question was “Should goverments try to squash independence movements of their people?” Out of 60 students, the class was pretty divided between “yes” and “no”. One of the student’s wrote “You can control a person’s body, but you can never control a person’s mind”.

There are plenty of truly lovely and precious people in mainland China. Your negative assertations about Chinese people in general sound petty and are just plain irritating.

You obviously don’t know much about our dear Lord, Erhu. He is in fact quite close to one particular truly lovely and precious commie. :wink:

HG

You mean he’s bff with the nutty professor? I knew there was something suspicious about this thread!

[color=white]bff=best friends forever[/color]

I’m not really sure what your point is, Lord Lucan. Many people do what they’re told by the government in China because if they don’t, they face fines, or prison or worse. And yes, I believe the government does try to keep the public riled up about Japan, Taiwan, and other things in order to deflect anger and criticism from the CCP.

But, this does NOT mean that all Chinese people think alike.[/quote]

Show me where I said all Chinese people think alike.

Your childish plattitudes and facile truisms are quite irritating too if we must go down this road.

Don’t you mean platitude? And harping on how evil the CCP is and perpetuating negative stereotypes about Chinese people is what’s trite.

You think Chinese people can’t see some sleazy, loser Western guy in China faking around with young Chinese girls and think it’s despicable all on their own? No, of course not. It’s all a part of mind control and some government conspiracy. I suppose the Chinese govermnent planted this particular breed of Western guy in China for the sole purpose of uniting Chinese people. Um, ok!